• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker cables

DonR

Major Contributor
For me I look at 20-20kHz and it power factor value. It mean phase shift. If you want to ignored, because it is difficult to see in scope, I respect your decision.
Phase shift? From a cable? With pF of capacitance and uH of inductance? At 20Hz? No.

OP
Holmz

Holmz

Major Contributor
What about the following 2 cables, strictly from their technical specs, no. 1 is 3 euro./m, no. 2 is 60 euro/m...
I mean, is no. 2 overkill for 3m distances? Should there be any difference to be perceived?

No. 1 Technical specifications
  • Wire gauge - 14 AWG
  • “Figure of 8” construction
  • 42 superior grade copper strands
  • Available in black or white
  • PVC dielectric
  • Jacket OD - 4.00mm
  • Cross-sectional area - 2.50mm²
  • Loop resistance - 0.016 Ω/m
  • Capacitance - 58pF/m
  • Inductance - 0.66 μH/m
  • Dissipation factor - 0.0900
No. 2 Technical Specifications:
  • Wire gauge - 10 AWG
  • Silver plated 99.999% Oxygen Free Copper conductors
  • Aircore™ Technology
  • Cross-sectional area - 5.50 mm2
  • Loop resistance - 0.006 Ω/m
  • Capacitance - 76 pF/m
  • Inductance - 0.46 µH/m
  • Dissipation factor - 0.0070

One can actually compute what the capacitance, inductance and resistance will do… and “maybe” to relative to some perception level.

However many of the multi k$ cables generally show no specs.
The just have “Nano-particles”, and other quantum sounding descriptions.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If you want to ignored, because it is difficult to see in scope...

What does that mean?

It's ignored because it won't make an audible difference.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Phase shift? From a cable? With pF of capacitance and uH of inductance? At 20Hz? No.
In scope you get to see in voltage, current and time domain. Voltage at reference and how it lack or forward with current. I'm pretty sure you can see under those 10MHz scope.

DonR

Major Contributor
In scope you get to see in voltage, current and time domain. Voltage at reference and how it lack or forward with current. I'm pretty sure you can see under those 10MHz scope.
You are talking 20Hz, not 10MHz.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[ Silver plated 99.999% Oxygen Free Copper conductors ]

I don't get this...silver plating is not protective, it tarnishes easily, which affects its conductivity. Its conductivity is only 6-7% better than copper, and this is just a plating—the wire is overwhelmingly copper. I can't see how the silver plating is any improvement, beyond voodoo claims about a substantial skin effect at these frequencies. I don't see how this is any more than marketing and comfort for audiophiles. No?
I once bought a BJC interconnect sold as “silver plated”. It was, but when I looked up the specs, Belden described it as “Silver-Coated Copper-Clad Steel (SCCS)”. It was stiffer but performed pretty much like any other cable I owned, dispute the distasteful conductor description.

kongwee

Major Contributor
You are talking 20Hz, not 10MHz.
I dunno why 20Hz when you ignore the 21-20kHz. Anyway, you have scope you can see the time difference 20Hz in voltage and current that all from me, bye.

DonR

Major Contributor
??? I think there might be a language problem here as well as a problem in understanding basic electronics.

EDIT: I'll just add that the phase shift of 3m of cable at 20KHz is about 0.1 degrees. It only gets smaller the bigger the wavelength.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matthias McCready

There is an absolutely hilarious test done by Archimago comparing Kimber 8TC to Canare 4s11 to Zip cord which is twisted together from several smaller strands to form a 12' length. He comes to the conclusion there's no audible or significant measurable difference among the three cables.

From my experience there is absolutely a difference in the quality of cables...

That difference is durability... that is it.

As soon as an XLR has Neutrik XX connectors (easier to solder/repair) and is Belden (or a similar brand) that wraps nice, taken care of it will last many decades of touring or heavy usage.

---

The only time I have had a cable "sound different" (in measurable way I might add) it had lost a pin and needed to be re-soldered. Cheap cables and expensive ones measure and sound the same.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Very disappointing & scientifical replies :))
Where is the magic and poetry from the music...

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is an absolutely hilarious test done by Archimago comparing Kimber 8TC to Canare 4s11 to Zip cord which is twisted together from several smaller strands to form a 12' length. He comes to the conclusion there's no audible or significant measurable difference among the three cables.

I felt the Archimago's lack a low end attack under 100hz, while the Canare's complete transparency lacked some weight in the treble reason. I've still found nothing that compares to First Run Copper. Expensive, but even Amir has to admit, it's the best sounding speaker cable made.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From my experience there is absolutely a difference in the quality of cables...

That difference is durability... that is it.

As soon as an XLR has Neutrik XX connectors (easier to solder/repair) and is Belden (or a similar brand) that wraps nice, taken care of it will last many decades of touring or heavy usage.

---

The only time I have had a cable "sound different" (in measurable way I might add) it had lost a pin and needed to be re-soldered. Cheap cables and expensive ones measure and sound the same.
Best thing you could do is buy a 50' spool of cable, and some high quality connectors cut them to length and take them to a local welding shop and have the connectors attached. Talk about durable.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So you need an $8000 cable to experience the magic and poetry of Van Morrison singing "Moondance" on your system?:p
Yeah, because if you spend $1.99 for the cable, you have to listen to him sing Cheeseburger in Paradise.

DonR

Major Contributor
I felt the Archimago's lack a low end attack under 100hz, while the Canare's complete transparency lacked some weight in the treble reason. I've still found nothing that compares to First Run Copper. Expensive, but even Amir has to admit, it's the best sounding speaker cable made.
Does the quality of the sound degrade with each additional use? Should I return them once in a while (for the very reasonable 10% restocking fee) and purchase new ones? Is there a particular number of times First Run Copper remains fresh?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the quality of the sound degrade with each additional use? Should I return them once in a while (for the very reasonable 10% restocking fee) and purchase new ones? Is there a particular number of times First Run Copper remains fresh?
I certain some one sells a quantum renewal device for them. Check the back issues of Positive Feedback.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Shit, I really looked on the net for the cable that put Amir on his knees...

Top Bottom