• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A thought that could improve the acceptance of active speakers

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
It requires a cable from a central hub, but it also doesn't require that a power outlet be adjacent to every single spot you want a speaker.
So you need one more piece of hardware, a power block with audio inputs and poe outlets. Is this really any easier, it will be more expensive.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
It’s just a personal opinion based on the fact that I’m disinclined to have an electrician come out to install multiple outlets (and presumably a fresh circuit) to feed a multichannel active system. For a SOTA/cost no object rig or a new buildout, sure that works. For everyone else…less so.
You only have one AC outlet in your room?

OP
Steve81

Steve81

Forum Donor
So you need one more piece of hardware, a power block with audio inputs and poe outlets. Is this really any easier, it will be more expensive.
Doesn’t need to be (and clearly shouldn’t be) PoE. That was proof of concept, not a working plan.

My home was built in the 50’s. It’s not exactly designed for a multichannel active HT.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Doesn’t need to be (and clearly shouldn’t be) PoE. That was proof of concept, not a working plan.
It will have to be PO something so you still need hardware to produce and distribute the DC?
Or you combine your 120v AC with the audio in one cable and use a power bar for that hardware. Whats the point.

Littletycoon

You wont get that 295w from one port. The problem is the voltage limit is 50v.
Who said that? Poe++ maxes out at either 60W (802.3bt type 3, 50v) or 100W (802.3bt type 4, 52v) per port. Plenty for powering certain speakers and/or certain speaker use cases.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I jumped on the Genelec 4430A when I saw the announcement and fired an email to them for a sample. I wanted a small high performance speaker for ceiling installation for Atmos. The idea of just finish the cat-5 cable was pretty attractive. As I think was mentioned, figuring out how to feed it from consumer gear became complicated. Genelec was willing to send me a sample so if we can work through the connectivity issue, I can still request and test it.
I would absolutely love to see these tested. I'm sure they measure just like their standard counterpart, but the process of setting them up would be highly informative.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I'd rather prefer just a power cord and use wireless transfer of audio data. This would make a multichannel system much easier to install.

Another high power single cable solution could be to use Powerline. You could probably even run it through power strips and still have enough signal integrity for audio.

OP
Steve81

Steve81

Forum Donor
It will have to be PO something so you still need hardware to produce and distribute the DC?
Or you combine your 120v AC with the audio in one cable and use a power bar for that hardware. Whats the point.
Get the advantages of an active setup within a format consumers are more or less familiar with, and not requiring an electrician to install outlets.

Salt

Forum Donor
There are solutions to LAN via power line (thus diametrically to OP's thoughts).
But not for driving speakers (may be wrong).

There are several attempts to connect wireless via WLAN or Bluetooth, see Electrocompaniet, Nubert and other's approaches.

Maybe future will tell us, and as Hypex is now up to integrate PS into amp's PCB, it' s only one step ahead to integrate wireless communication there and the ideal plate amp is on the road.
Maybe...

lisgotan

There are solutions to LAN via power line (thus diametrically to OP's thoughts).
But not for driving speakers (may be wrong).

There are several attempts to connect wireless via WLAN or Bluetooth, see Electrocompaniet, Nubert and other's approaches.

Maybe future will tell us, and as Hypex is now up to integrate PS into amp's PCB, it' s only one step ahead to integrate wireless communication there and the ideal plate amp is on the road.
Maybe...

Powerline can be used but it's not a good solution. This is because powerline connection is highly dependent on how your home wiring is done up and condition of the wiring.

If the signal has to travel from socket to the breakers and then to another socket, signal integrity will be poor. Computers can still use it because of TCP protocol. But for real time UDP based data, it's not possible.

OP
Steve81

Steve81

Forum Donor
Powerline can be used but it's not a good solution. This is because powerline connection is highly dependent on how your home wiring is done up and condition of the wiring.

If the signal has to travel from socket to the breakers and then to another socket, signal integrity will be poor. Computers can still use it because of TCP protocol. But for real time UDP based data, it's not possible.

This concept, as I envision it, would be directly from a central hub acting as a processor to the speaker. Scale down the voltage to meet regulatory requirements, and transcode to a codec readily decoded on the other end, similar to how my phone > earbuds connection transcodes to AAC over a Bluetooth carrier. Powerline seems to fit the bill perfectly for this.

As I see it, this solution could allow active speakers to directly replace AVRs/passives in the market place. Given that existing speaker wiring is glorified lamp cord, I’m not even sure existing surround installs would need to replace anything at all in terms of in-wall wiring. I’ll let you all dissect that potentially hair-brained scheme.

mcdn

Forum Donor
@Steve81 looking back over the thread and how your thinking has evolved it seems that at least for surrounds & heights what you are aiming at exists today: It's in the form of Dante with PoE++, delivering a synchronised digital signal and 100W of power to each speaker. For LCR and subwoofers mains power cords would be needed too due to the 100W limit of PoE.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 4, 20 amp outlets in my living/audio room, on 2 different circuits.
But in 1968 (when this place was built), what ever their needs were then
do not correlate (in combination with the floor vent central heat & A/C)
with my 2023 needs (desires).

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect the whole concept of loudspeakers, beyond small portable units, is rather unfashionable these days, which would explain why nobody has bothered I suppose. I listen to music all the time, but the quality of a modern wireless earbud is perfectly adequate.
Same with a Sonos 5 for more people

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same with a Sonos 5 for more people
Steve81 said:
I suspect the whole concept of loudspeakers, beyond small portable units, is rather unfashionable these days, which would explain why nobody has bothered I suppose. I listen to music all the time, but the quality of a modern wireless earbud is perfectly adequate.

Interesting, I know quite a number of people locally (in Charleston, SC) say, a couple hundred; (in Guam) about 50; (in Saipan) about 50.
Not one owns a Sonos product.
And most have some sort of home theatre (even if it is a one box home theatre) and a few a dedicated home stereo.
Many have some sort of portable Bluetooth speaker for taking to the beach, on a picnic or a yard party. (but this is in addition to their home rig).
And many also have ear buds and/or head phones as an addition to their audio experience.

This include women, one of whom I know has a pair of Bose 901's & a pair of some smaller Klipsch stand mount speakers.
It's because most of them want to hear more (whether correct or not) bass than the small portable units or Sonos provides.

Top Bottom