• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound Check (Apple's volume normalization) changed target level?

DeLub

Apple Music used to normalize tracks at -16LUFS. And I remember reading that Atmos tracks are required by Dolby to be mixed at -18. And I assume Atmos tracks are not subjected to normalization in Apple Music. This explained why Atmos tracks were always a bit softer than the stereo tracks. But I while back I noticed that at the regular volume level I listen to music, the stereo tracks were softer than before. And sure enough, when I added the EBU reference signal (which is -23LUFS) in Apple Music I could see that it would get boosted by only +3,0. Therefore it seems that Apple settled on a new normalization target of -20LUFS. And it confirms why now the stereo tracks are softer than the Atmos tracks.

Anyone else notice this?

It actually think this is, in part at least, a good thing, as this allows for more dynamic range which is helpful especially for classical music. But I don't understand why stereo and Atmos tracks don't have the same target level. Either they should have chosen -18 as target, or also attenuate atmos tracks to -20. I feel this is a missed opportunity. But perhaps I'm missing something here?

palm

This would explain why Atmos tracks are louder on HomePod, this is annoying and I hope it’s not a trick to promote spatial audio. Personally I’m not against those Atmos mixes, but I’d rather avoid an artificial volume difference.

I have another related question and that’s how I found your post: is this sound check / volume normalization working on iOS with Apple Music in lossless mode with an external DAC?
I would prefer that (I used replayGain years ago before this switch to streaming)
I understand it would not be bitperfect anymore but those who want that can still disable volume normalization.

I’m asking because I just received an RME DAC that I use with an iPad and found myself playing a lot with the volume from track to track.
I will make additional tests but the fact that the lossless badge doesn’t always appear when I change the setting is annoying and doesn’t help.

Miniyouuuu

Last month I was surprised why my 100w amp was unable to raise 95db through my 90db sensitivity speakers.
Few days ago I discovered my AppleTV was streaming dolby atmos but my amp is stereo. As I configured AppleTV as Stereo only, volumen raised 12dB.

Top Bottom