• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Homepod as Streamer and Speaker with Dolby Atmos capability

OldTimer

I just want to share my setup at my desk in a room.
Those are an Apple Homepod and a soundbar (cheap 2.0 no sub) connected to AirPort Express mini Toslink. I only use the iPhone at the beginning of the Homepod setup.
  1. After the setup, I move the iPhone to different network because I don't need it anymore to stream music, control audio, connect to other airplay speakers, etc. Just using: "Hey Siri...". So, this becomes dedicated streamer (Apple Music and Deezer).
  2. I found the sound quality is much better than using Qobuz airplay to the homepod specifically for Dolby Atmos music from Apple Music. So, Dolby Atmos is real deal.
I don't know why the sound become better after I asked: "Hey Siri, connect to soundbar at 100% volume". I adjusted the homepod volume at 50% before and the soundbar manually to equalize at the best. The homepod position at a table at the middle of the room. The soundbar is in front of me at the desk.

The cost for this setup:
  • Apple Homepod $299
  • Soundbar $50
  • Airport Express (used) $30

Top Bottom