• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound and Vision's review of the Magnepan LRS

TitaniumTroy

TOWER SPEAKER REVIEWS
Magnepan LRS Loudspeaker Review
Michael Trei | Sep 2, 2020
920mag.promo_.jpg

Much more positive review (albeit from a panel speaker fan, owns Quad 57's) disappointingly no frequency response chart. This review pretty much coincides with my listening session's with the LRS at 2019's AXPONA, I was there hanging out with fellow PanHead, Josh.

Soundstage and imaging are indeed excellent, very clear and clean sounding. However no deep bass, cannot play extremely loud, that 300 watt @ 8 ohms amp Wendell was using, really did great a job. If you like the sound of Quad 57's (which was also at the show and sounded super clear and life like) you will appreciate the sound of these speakers.

I would also like to reiterate that at the AXPONA 2019 show, the hotel room was pretty small. So the LRS was not trying to pressurize a lot of space, I'm guessing 12'x12' or close to that, not accounting for the hallway and bathroom. The room was also treated by Wendell Diller with some panels, he covered in a thin cloth that enclosed the entire room. I think he said he picked up the lightweight, flat foam panels at Lowes or Home Depot, whatever they did seemed to work.

The Quad 57's and the LRS, were the most live/realistic speakers (within their limitations) I heard at the show by far. Herb Reichart in his review said the same thing, also Johnathan Valin who I caught briefly in the lobby said he had not heard them. However when I asked if heard anything he really liked, he said he heard several very good speakers. But nothing that gave him the illusion of Live Music.

Last edited:

Feanor

Forum Donor
My experience with MMG's, (LRS' predecessor), was that they sounded good at pretty good volumes when their response was limited to 80 Hz and above. I did this using my subwoofer that had high-pass filter and corresponding outputs to drive the main amp and hence the MMG's.

DSJR

Major Contributor
57's are so damned frustrating though...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
57's are so damned frustrating though...
Like a trophy spouse ;)
They do give one so much -- but they demand even more from their life partner.
That 15 degree vertical dispersion is my biggest issue with 'em -- but I'll own a pair for the rest of my life.
I don't think there's a more neutral and uncolored loudspeaker extant (except... perhaps... some of the other Quad ESLs).

Paramours and Quads 112413 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
(and, yes, these are limbless -- I do have aftermarket stands for these. In this photo, they were shimmed from behind with some bits of wood :) to aim the aforementioned very ill-dispersing (or ill-dispersed?) tweeter panels! :)

... and as a completely irrelevant aside, I disovered earlier this year that I live less than a half-hour (on back roads) from Sheldon Stokes! :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom