• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sold my Schiit, need something new

jbar2797

Hey everyone, im active on HeadFi and SBAF but after reading here, I decided to take objective measurements more seriously. Because of this new outlook on audio I have sold my Schiit Gungnir and am now looking for a new DAC for the Lyr 3. I sold my gungnir for $450, but i am willing to go higher than that. As for my sources I am using a SonicTransporter with an Ultrarendu streaming Roon with HQPlayer. I am hoping to upsample and or oversample higher than 192khz, and in PCM and DSD. Also, I dont need any fancy crossfeed, or filters built into the DAC because all of this will be handled in Roon and HQPlayer. Any advice is appreciated!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Save your cash and get a Topping D50. It will do high data rates if that is what you want. $250.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I read somewhere that the SU-8 measured better? What differences are between the two?
SU-8 has balanced output which is nice to have. Its display though is very tiny and hard to see. On the other hand, it has a remote control which the D50 lacks.

OP
J

jbar2797

SU-8 has balanced output which is nice to have. Its display though is very tiny and hard to see. On the other hand, it has a remote control which the D50 lacks.
itll be good for me to have the balanced, because ill be able to hook up my speakers and i plan on getting the thx 789 eventually as my solid state amp.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Hey everyone, im active on HeadFi and SBAF but after reading here, I decided to take objective measurements more seriously. Because of this new outlook on audio I have sold my Schiit Gungnir and am now looking for a new DAC for the Lyr 3. I sold my gungnir for $450, but i am willing to go higher than that. As for my sources I am using a SonicTransporter with an Ultrarendu streaming Roon with HQPlayer. I am hoping to upsample and or oversample higher than 192khz, and in PCM and DSD. Also, I dont need any fancy crossfeed, or filters built into the DAC because all of this will be handled in Roon and HQPlayer. Any advice is appreciated!

Topping D50. MassDrop has them now and then.

I’m using an old refurbished PC as the Roon Bridge, into the D50. Works as good as SonicTransporter/Rendu but cheaper :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
itll be good for me to have the balanced, because ill be able to hook up my speakers and i plan on getting the thx 789 eventually as my solid state amp.
That would be very good reason then to get the SMSL SU-8 (version 2).

OP
J

jbar2797

That would be very good reason then to get the SMSL SU-8 (version 2).

Sounds good, are you familiar with hqplayer? I cant find a clear answer on how hqplayers filters and modulators bypass the DACs? I understand that the SU-8 has a selection of filters. How does HQPlayers filters neglect the filters built into the internals of the DAC? Because the filters in the DAC are apart of the chain before reaching the HQPlayer software, so therefore wouldnt that cause a 'double filter'?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sounds good, are you familiar with hqplayer? I cant find a clear answer on how hqplayers filters and modulators bypass the DACs?
I am and plan to test it one of these days. For now, I don't believe it makes any improvement in sound fidelity so I would not worry about using it, much less paying its high cost. I also hate its user interface and the myriad of options as you mention.

OP
J

jbar2797

I am and plan to test it one of these days. For now, I don't believe it makes any improvement in sound fidelity so I would not worry about using it, much less paying its high cost. I also hate its user interface and the myriad of options as you mention.
I hear you on that. Do you recommend the Schiit Eitr with the SU-8? I have one laying around that i was going to end up selling. Also, I was wondering if there would be any Lyr 3 measurements, and if so would you need one sent in?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
J

jbar2797

Definitely not. You don't need anything else. Here is my review of Eitr: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-schiit-eitr-usb-to-s-pdif-bridge.3753/

On Lyr 3, I am definitely interested in measuring it but no one has offered one.

We can look into getting my lyr 3 to you for measurements. Might, just might end up selling in turn for the THX 789. Measurements shall tell. Also, do you see any reason to go for the RME adi 2 or benchmark 2 or 3 over the SMSL SU-8? I also was looking at the Chord Qutest...

vitalii427

Forum Donor
We can look into getting my lyr 3 to you for measurements. Might, just might end up selling in turn for the THX 789. Measurements shall tell. Also, do you see any reason to go for the RME adi 2 or benchmark 2 or 3 over the SMSL SU-8? I also was looking at the Chord Qutest...
RME ADI-2 DAC is cheapest among recommended balanced DACs from reputable western company tested by Amir. Also it has some valuable features like DSP EQ, volume control, really good headphone amp, nice display and exceptional build quality.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Benchmark and Chord also really great but I don’t see any advantages for which it would be worth to pay more.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Actually I also sold my Yggdrasil for RME after reading lots of debates on this forum. I have no chance to try them side by side, but results are pretty outstanding.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Topping D50. MassDrop has them now and then.

I’m using an old refurbished PC as the Roon Bridge, into the D50. Works as good as SonicTransporter/Rendu but cheaper :)
Have you had the Rendu?

Last edited:

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
If this is the direction you are intending, imo the su8 is a decent choice.

Top Bottom