• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I purchase a new DAC that decodes DSD?

OP
H

HendersonD

Then the receiver has to convert DSD to PCM, so the only choice is where in your audio chain you do the conversion to PCM.
Correct. Two quertions:
  1. Will a DAC reading a DSD file natively and sending it to a quality receiver yield better sound than the receiver doing it?
  2. Given the march forward in technology will a new DAC just sound better than a 9 year old DAC? The Meridian Explorer (first version) did have good reviews when it came out

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am feeding the output of the DAC into an Outlaw Audio receiver so I still have all of that functionality unless I am missing something
what output are you feeding? analog or digital (i am too lazy to go look up if the outlaw has digital out)

Trell

Major Contributor
There is nothing wrong with unconverted dsd. That is a personal preference. I have a lot more mch files than you and they are spectacular playing natively or converted.
There is no right answer except without knowing the op's preference.
I did write “for me” in my post, so I don’t disagree. :)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct. Two quertions:
  1. Will a DAC reading a DSD file natively and sending it to a quality receiver yield better sound than the receiver doing it?
  2. Given the march forward in technology will a new DAC just sound better than a 9 year old DAC? The Meridian Explorer (first version) did have good reviews when it came out
1. i doubt you would be able to hear a difference. I cannot but you are the only one to answer that question.
2. As stated above, maybe and again, its what you hear not what others on this board hear. We are providing nothing more than useless opinions. But, in my useless opinion, its highly unlikely you will be able to hear a difference.

Trell

Major Contributor
what output are you feeding? analog or digital (i am too lazy to go look up if the outlaw has digital out)
I assumed digital as he replied to my post about losing DSP functionality. Using analog input and then DSP implies an ADC….

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did write “for me” in my post, so I don’t disagree. :)
Sorry, wasnt targeting at YOU
Was trying to make the point (For the 100000 time) to the op that it likely doesnt matter and they need to make a decision with our without a comparison.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assumed digital as he replied to my post about losing DSP functionality. Using analog input and then DSP implies an ADC….
yes, it does. I hate to ASSume.
My avr does this ( adc) if not fed digital. as mentioned i was too lazy to go read all the specs/capabilities of the outlaw and preferd to make sure rather than ASSume

dave999z

Are you asking which is better: (a) an external DAC that reads DSD natively and converts it directly to analog, which you then send to a receiver's analog input, or (b) a receiver with a built-in DAC that can't decode native DSD and instead first converts it to PCM before converting to analog?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct. Two quertions:
Based on the measurements posted above for your current DAC, then it is already audibly transparent.

No other Dac - even if having better measurements will sound better (at least not based on the signal from the DAC). It makes no difference if you are sending PCM or DSD to the DAC.

Trell

Major Contributor
yes, it does. I hate to ASSume.
My avr does this ( adc) if not fed digital. as mentioned i was too lazy to go read all the specs/capabilities of the outlaw and preferd to make sure rather than ASSume

It wouldn't make much sense to prefer DSD only to convert it to analog and then convert to digital (PCM) to then apply DSP, would it?

Trell

Major Contributor
Correct. Two quertions:

The only DSD I have is in the form of SACD that I play using my decade old (or so) Oppo BDP-93EU and the player is only used as a transport over HDMI.

Due to a bug (LFE handling of DSD) in my Denon AVR-X4200W (2015 model) I do the conversion to PCM in the Oppo instead of in the AVR. Otherwise I'm confident that it'll sound exactly the same.

dave999z

The Outlaw does not have any DSP. It has a built-in DAC, but then is all analog including bass management.

Only exception is it does have an external analog loop, so you can insert a digital processor there if you wish, but it will go through AD/DA for that. That would probably not be the best way to go if you wanted to use DSP on a digital source. Would be better to keep that all digital until it goes through a single final DAC.

OP
H

HendersonD

Right now I am feeding an analog signal to the receiver. It is a mini stereo at DAC end to two RCA ends plugged into Analog 1 on the Outlaw Audio receiver
Sounds like no matter what I do (use DAC in receiver or purchase a brand new DAC) I will not hear a difference in sound quality over my 9 year old Meridian DAC

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Just keep using roon and convert your DSD files to pcm 176.4khz.

D

Deleted member 5641

Only if the SACD player triggers placebo better than your streaming device.

Joao Correa

My music collection consists of about 550 ripped CDs, 78 ripped SACDs, and a handful of ripped DVD-Audio discs. I currently use Roon in conjunction with a Meridian Explorer DAC I purchased back in 2014. I have an Outlaw audio RR2160 receiver driving a pair of HSU HC-1 MK2 speakers and an SVS PC-2000 Pro sub.

Given the age of the Meridian DAC it does not decoded DSD so the DSD files that were ripped from the SACDs are converted to PCM for playback. Two related questions:
  1. Would a newer DAC just sound better in general than my current nearly decade old Meridian. I have been looking at the NEO iDSD, Topping D90SE, and the DACMagic 200M
  2. Most of the newer DACs (and certainly the three I mentioned above) decoded DSD so my SACD rips would not be converted to PCM for playback. Will I experience a better or just different sound with DSD?
Currently I do not use any of the hi-res streaming/download services such as Tidal or Qobuz but that could change
Hi ! I’m new to ripping and need some info. To rip SACD files to Eversolo DMP6, can you indicate a good external drive/cd reader ?
Thanks

StigErik

Forum Donor
Any old Blu-ray player will usually do the job. The recipe is here:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi ! I’m new to ripping and need some info. To rip SACD files to Eversolo DMP6, can you indicate a good external drive/cd reader ?
You can't rip SACDs directly with the DMP6. See the guide above from @StigErik for an alternative.

StigErik

Forum Donor
I ripped all my SACD's to ISO using a 10+ year old cheap SONY Blu-Ray player. The ISO files can be played back with KODI with its SACD ISO add-on.

However, if you want better tagging than what's on the SACD disc, you need to extract each track to DSD (usually Phillips DSDIFF mode) and tag each file with a tool like Mp3Tag or similar.. KODI can of course play back DSD files.

My playback chain is not exactly pure DSD....

DSD -> PCM 192/24 (KODI) -> HDMI - > Preamp/DAC (Anthem AVM70) -> AD/DA (MiniDSP Flex) -> Amps -> Speakers

Top Bottom