• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soft Domes

Goodman

Dome speakers Midrange and tweeters are always described as "soft" are there other kinds, are they any good?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are also metal domes and very expensive Beryllium domes. All types have pros and cons and the final sound quality depends more on the capability of the designer of the speaker and its crossover than the material of the drivers.

coonmanx

I like soft domes. I think one pair in one set of speakers that I have may be silk domes as well. I don't need silk domes and am not sure that they are any better than standard fabric dome tweeters.

I don't have much experience with any of the "harder stuff". LOL.

600_OHM

Yes they can be. It depends as always, each person is different so there is no "best".

From personal experience since the 70's, it has taken me decades to find out that the way *MY* brain is wired, dome tweeters have always been more pleasant. I couldn't live long with piezo and horns.

But they sure looked bitchin! (language from the era when I started ...)

Of course equipment and sources driving them have to be taken into account.

For me it was a decades long road to discover that *on the whole - and just for me* generally I prefer domes. YMMV.

Top Bottom