• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New desktop project using Dynaudio and Seas drivers

DSJR

Major Contributor
What I don’t understand though, is why people keep using MDF to build speakers? Plywood is basically better in almost every aspect, most importantly for your health.
Don't shoot the messenger here, but one speaker maker who abandoned ply boxes years ago (and retested recently a pair of freshly made ply boxes to confirm) is that voids in the laminate can effect consistency of box resonances which can have a subjective effect (he tells us). Instead he uses internally damped thin-wall MDF (I believe veneered on both sides) which suits them and their almost anal adherence to ISO regulations.

OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

MDF is definitely easier to finish, more readily available, and lower cost at least where I live. I'm unconvinced that plywood sounds actually better, just different, and I haven't seen any solid evidence to change my mind. As for the dust, it's not like you're cutting every day and I wear a mask when cutting anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom