• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New desktop project using Dynaudio and Seas drivers

scanspeak

Hi everyone.

Tired of my old 3" Yamaha desktop speakers I've decided it's time to build some overdue high-end desktop speakers using several nice drivers I had laying around.
Hopefully these will do justice to my recently acquired Topping DX3 PRO and PA5 II.
The Dynaudio drivers are 4" units taken from a Dynaudio Excite X22 centre channel speaker, part# 84022. These drivers have a beautifully transparent sound, perfect for vocals and should be easy to implement.
They are 8 ohm and hence low sensitivity but that's not an issue in this application. I typically listen at about 80-85dB at my desk (1 metre from the speakers) and they'll be combined with my existing DIY subwoofer (driven by a Fosi V3 amp).
The tweeters are Seas T29CF-002 Crescendos which I purchased almost 10 years ago for another project!

DYN_Excite_X22Center.jpg

dynaudio3sm.jpg

dynaudio1sm.jpg

Seas t29cf-002.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

A quick sketch of my plans. The front baffle will be angled 10 degrees to match my monitor and time-align the drivers. The tweeter height is at ear level when seated at my desk. Material is 16mm MDF and 2 shelf braces will be used.

speaker_sm.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

Driver cutouts are both 110mm. Internal volume about 7 litres.
44.jpg

I like to add hardwood strips along the internal baffle seams.
45.jpg

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, quick progress! How did you decide on cabinet volume? Are you doing the measure-as-you go style of building or do you have the full plan? What are you doing for a crossover?

OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

Once I install the drivers I will do the measurements using JustMLS and then design the crossover using LspCAD.
Chosen cabinet volume (sealed) was just guesstimated based on similar drivers. The dimensions were mostly dictated by other factors (listening height, desk-space, time-alignment, aesthetics) and I wanted plenty of internal space for breathing & absorption (and maybe the crossover). The Qtc will be around 0.5 at 100Hz
The bottom end is not really a concern as a subwoofer will be handling that.

Last edited:

jamescarter1982

really nicely executed so far . I like dynaudio drivers too interesting use of an old center channel I think there's a few older dynaudio speakers about with some quite decent drivers in them

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn’t this blasphemy given your username? ;) looks nice though, it will probably be a good match for nearfield listening. Just note that you angled the baffle a bit and it’s a 29mm tweeter, so you will have a bit of HF droop from that. May be pleasing or may need a bit of compensation.

What I don’t understand though, is why people keep using MDF to build speakers? Plywood is basically better in almost every aspect, most importantly for your health.

What I find interesting about the design is that they look much bigger than they really are. They look like mini floor standing speakers. Pretty cool.

OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

@voodooless - Good points that you've raised. Really it came down to what I've always used and what I have easy access to at my local hardware store. Still I might try plywood (or some other material) in my next build to see how it compares.
Is Australian MDF safe?
All MDF made in Australia is now E0 (ultra-low formaldehyde) or E1 (low formaldehyde). These levels of formaldehyde meet the most stringent requirements of the Green Building Council of Australia.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is Australian MDF safe?
All MDF made in Australia is now E0 (ultra-low formaldehyde) or E1 (low formaldehyde). These levels of formaldehyde meet the most stringent requirements of the Green Building Council of Australia.
Maybe. Even without the formaldehyde, it's all kinds of dusty shit. I used to use MDF in the past as well, but now don't use it anymore in favor of plywood. It's just much nicer to work with.

OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

Grilles made from 20 x 5mm hardwood.

99.jpg

99b.jpg

99c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

Colour is "almost black". I'm using satin enamel but I think I will use a final matt coat to match my monitor.
Internal damping will be 1/2" felt, 1" acoustic batts and sheeps wool.

99d.jpg

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

Individual driver responses at 1m (on tweeter axis)
tweeter and woofer individual.jpg

Woofer on and 10deg-off-axis (horizontal)
woofer onoff axis.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

Individual responses with filters (1st order and notch)
ScreenHunter 63702.jpg

ScreenHunter 63704.jpg
ScreenHunter 63703.jpg

xover.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

Total measured responses at 1 metre
ScreenHunter 63705.jpg

ScreenHunter 63706.jpg

ScreenHunter 63707.jpg

Note: "Off axis with grill" will be my normal listening setup.
Nearfield measurement of the woofer gave a -3dB point of 100Hz (therefore Q about 0.7).

Last edited:
OP
scanspeak

scanspeak

Very happy with the final result. In particular transparency, vocals and low-level detail is excellent.
It is mated to my subwoofer (Seas L26ROY) at around 100Hz.

total_sm.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom