• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions on tri-amp set up

Theta

I am tri-amping speakers with 2 12 inch woofers 8 ohm in parallel, Small room, I listen at 75 to 85dbs. I am using a Parasound 200W or so amp.
would not a good 100W amp do the job. Same for the mids, I am using a 150W amp on 2 large dome 6 ohm resulting in (3ohms; I know) but does not seem to be a problem. Would not an 85W amp work? For the tweeter cut of a 5000hz 45W seems to work ok. All the amps are class AB. Electricity is expensive Here in Europe.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The short answer is your amp power is likely fine based on what you posted.:)

How are you implementing an active crossover?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tweeters and mids can usually do with less power but you'd want the amps to be of same gain if you want to mix amps/power. You leave the crossovers in? If you leave the crossovers in I'd just use a single powerful amp and save the electricity costs.

MAB

Major Contributor
Analog crossover at 500 and 5000 Hertz
Passive or active crossover?
If passive tri-amp it is a total waste of amps and waste of electricity for no benefit in sound, no improvement in distortion, no change in peak SPL or any other sonic benefit.
If active tri-amp, 200W bass, 100W mid, and 85W tweeter amp probably work well assuming the speakers are all of relatively similar sensitivity. Not enough info to tell for sure though.

Top Bottom