• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So, you think you are golden ears...

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You listened to 32 sounds. Of those you guessed 31 correctly!
You did better than 94% of people. Your average speed was 1 seconds.

Hurray!

ryanmh1

WARNING: That Harvard test is broken on some web browsers. No wonder I was so confused and thought all the tones sounded the same: They were. It was only playing the first three tones, which are all identical. :facepalm: You should hear FOUR tones. The fourth tone is different. I did it again today on another browser and it worked fine, and was very easy to distinguish almost all of the tones.

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
Oh dear. iPhone speaker. 27/32, in the 58% range. So I won’t be investing in those $80k B&O speakers then...

Ah...this may make you wince, but I had a chance to preview the Beolab 90 in Tokyo recently. They were fine, just fine. Er...and that was all.

It’s not you. It’s me.

Laughinglife

Oh dear. iPhone speaker. 27/32, in the 58% range. So I won’t be investing in those $80k B&O speakers then...

Ah...this may make you wince, but I had a chance to preview the Beolab 90 in Tokyo recently. They were fine, just fine. Er...and that was all.

It’s not you. It’s me.

It's a phone speaker, and it's B&O... Neither are supposed to sound good, they just look cute. It's not you, you're spot on. Like, getting blown away by Bose. That's a problem. lol

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Scored 30/32, using my imac's speakers, fairly low volume.

I'll have to get my wife to try this. I have never heard anyone so "tone deaf" when it comes to singing. She simply can not sing in tune no matter how hard she tries. It would be interesting how she scores on this test.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wanted to just try to see what it is about and did reasonably well:

1560719975152.png

This was with laptop speakers while TV running (excuses that mean nothing :) ).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Using phone speakers.
First time 27
second time 30
the 1/64th fucks with me
But it ain't doing anything with tone deaf i believe. If you can differentiate 1/4th and above it's good enough. Also it has nothing to do with audio. https://www.klippel.de/listeningtest/lt/
Try this one, test harmonic distortion and imd. -30db is already pretty good. Only few can do -40db and below. This will break a lot of beliefs lol.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
30/32
.8 sec avg
Better than 94%

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You listened to 32 sounds. Of those you guessed 28 correctly!
You did as well as or better than 73% of people. Your average speed was 2.8 seconds.​

One wrong button-push in the start led me to switch to the up-down pads. Listening on low volume level on the Kii Threes.
Avg. speed is very slow due to the inherent delay in the Kii Three + the inherent delay in the long FIR filters generated in Audiolense and played through JRiver.

Of more concern than a few errors is the fact that I could clearly hear the tones better with my left ear than my right one.

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
You listened to 32 sounds. Of those you guessed 31 correctly!
You did as well as or better than 98% of people. Your average speed was 1.2 seconds.
I guess I'm not tone def.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
On the other site i couldn't hear anything above 14kHz which might be my cheap headphones but I am going to investigate. :oops:
Yep, blame it on the gear. LOL

digicidal

Major Contributor
You listened to 32 sounds. Of those you guessed 28 correctly!
You did as well as or better than 73% of people. Your average speed was 0.6 seconds.

Our estimate of your Musical IQ is 107.
We think your musical skills may be above average. You did as well as or better than 70% of people who took our test so far. Your average speed to respond was 0.70 seconds.​

...so not tone deaf but not very musically smart apparently. ;) I probably shouldn't have played the IQ game directly after the tone one - was getting pretty tired of the 90's MIDI sounding tunes about halfway through and kinda just mashed keys.

Get a hearing test

2019-09-04_18-25-11.png

I've had some fun with the questions tho. Also 1/64 tone was probably more guessing than anything. Didn't want to turn up the volume to hear better.

Last edited:

Midwest Blade

28/32 on computer speakers with TV on in the background with 1 second response time. Fun test, thanks for the link.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I got 29 of 32. Those 1/32 tone and less get really tuff to hear the difference.

Robin L

Master Contributor
31 out of 32, about a second for each. Digital tuners are a wonderful thing, Martin guitars as well.

cshake

Forum Donor
Based on responses in this thread from much earlier this year, the "better than x%" is live updated with total respondents. 30/32 for me at a normal volume with headphones and a relatively quiet room (>94%, 0.9sec). The 1/64th step was the "difficulty threshold" for me, but I found as I went through the test that I could tell better if I focused on the decay and not necessarily the sustained tone once it got close. I've been a percussionist by training and hobby since I was 8 or 9 and in a formal music group ever since except a year or two in grad school.

User name

The first time I took it I got 25/32 .3 second avg. I slowed down a bit and got 32/32 .7 avg. I was actually surprised how clear the 1/64 changes were once i listened more intently.

Top Bottom