• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So close to enjoying a new pair of R3s

6124CBC6-1D29-4275-849C-3952758C2344.jpeg

OP
C
So close to enjoying a pair of open box R3s. I’ve demoed them a couple of times and wanted a similar sound to the LS50, just with better extension. They met my expectations in imaging and sounded a bit bigger than the box they are in. I maybe would not have noticed if the ferrofluid wasn’t antifreeze green, but sure enough it reared its ugly head and they got sent back. Looks like they were ran hard and put away wet or maybe it was just luck of the draw. Not sure how prevalent the issue is with R3s but I was only aware of it because of other places I hear read about it.

I’m a little gun shy about buying these second hand now so I will cross my fingers for a sale or maybe have a chat with my local AD.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I take it that you are not supposed to see green there? I have not ever seen an actual picture of a ferrofluid leak.

OP
C
Yes. I only know because there has been other posts about it here and I was extra wary of it. I think most of the time it doesn’t pour out like this but it leaks internally or dries up. I’m honestly glad it’s bright green.

carewser

Regardless of how accurate a speaker is, for $2000 I would expect much deeper bass than 58hz

hawk01

hmm, this issue really sucks! while ferro fluid or whatever gunk they put in those speakers may serve its purpose, they should also see to it that these things should never leak under the most extreme use cases which is humanly possible. i am also eyeing the R3 brand new but reluctance prevails once you get the drips after warranty!

Zvu

What you are showing in the pic here looks like glue used to attach dome to suspension - which is quite common.

Similar is visible in my ls50, but since glue used is semi-transparent, in the pics it is copper colored.

DSC_0776.jpg

Ferrofluid is ferromagnetic material and it couldn't ooze out on itself even if you removed the dome and beat the magnet to the table. Magnetic field in tweeter gap over 1 Tesla is quite common. In a tweeter motor there is no more than one drop of the stuff, it's not like there is a reservoir inside. I removed ferrofluid from quite a number of tweeters and it was always the same color - dark brown.

How did you determine it is ferrofluid ?

Last edited:

alont

Forum Donor
Yep... my old Q100s also had this visible glue. AFAIK, this is not a defect.

OP
C
I though the green ring is the seal so you are saying all that teal on the center of the dome is not fluid? It is not on the other speaker nor on the other KEFs I have. I figured that was the only liquid inside the tweeter?

OP
C
Some more pics. Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t live with it

Attachments

• B8A23906-8C21-4DE4-A596-C569ED2766B2.jpeg
    B8A23906-8C21-4DE4-A596-C569ED2766B2.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 540418C4-970E-49B5-B6D5-CDED043A4950.jpeg
    540418C4-970E-49B5-B6D5-CDED043A4950.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 190

Zvu

Yup, that ring is glue and it's normal.

Discoloration above the glue ring looks to me like flaw in dome anodizing. Looks bad and you're right for returning it but it doesn't affect the performance in any way. Anyhow, it's easy fix for them since the tweeter unscrews from behind and can be swapped easily.

Last edited:

alont

Forum Donor
Oh yeah that looks bad. I would have also returned it. Good luck with your next pair!

McFly

It was my pair that had mad fluid leak, only one speaker though. Pics somewhere in the R 3 review thread. They were good about replacement if a bit slow

OP
C
TIL. So how does one know when the R3 is leaking ferry fluid? I thought it was visual.

Zvu

It was my pair that had mad fluid leak, only one speaker though. Pics somewhere in the R 3 review thread. They were good about replacement if a bit slow

Provide the pic link please. I'm genuinely curious. Here's how FF looks like:

Магнет.jpgФерофлуид.jpg

In tweeter there is very small amount of FF. Here is a pic of what you get with Morel recone - that is 0.3mL (0.018in3) of fluid. Barely enough to fill the gap and only when the voice coil is in the gap (vc takes a bit of gap volume).

Морел и ферофлуид.jpg

Last edited:

McFly

McFly

No, just the local supplier replaced the pair, after kef were provided with the evidence. As John said in the thread, the oil likely seperated. Being in NZ, i doubt they went all the way back. Probably just destroyed or sold as a single open box. One speaker was fine.

Top Bottom