• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why its so hard to chose the right monitors

Yoti

Hi guys.
I hope you are doing well.

Im own a small home studio a while ago and now I built it again.

I have Pair of BM6A but Im looking for something new will open my mind.

Im thinking about pmc results6 / focal solo or any kind of genelec.
Making mainly music via vst instruments.

In your option Whats the best solution for 2000-2500 gbp per Pair.
Best regards

DSJR

Major Contributor
Genelec and Neumann seem to be favourites here and for very good reason!

I'm afraid that none of the domestic PMC's perform well as 'high fidelity sound reproducers' and the couple of pro models I've seen tested aren't really much better, which is very sad as I like the company (the errors are obviously intentional or disregarded, but never designed in ignorance I feel).

I can never get my head around Genelec's model numbers (sorry) but the Neumann KH150's may be of interest if the price is right :)

Matmah

If I had that budget I would be looking at the Barefoot Footprint 02 or the Focal Solo 6.

Used and with a lot of luck, a pair of Barefoot Footprint 01, with a pair of Neumann KH 310s as a back up plan.

OP
Y

Yoti

IMG20240118221713.jpg

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having been in Genelec's camp for a while I would still also recommend the KH150. It just doesn't get much better than that. It's just that for that space it might be overkill, so the little brother KH120 II would be better match.

Problem is the Dynaudios are pretty good already. So, I don't think anything in that price range will blow your mind. Nothing wrong with updating speakers for funsies, I'm all for that. :)

OP
Y

Yoti

Room size as follow:

1. The room shape is a rectangle, with no window ( length- 4.4 Meters/width 2.1 Meters/heights 2.57 meters)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Neumann is probably the best in that price range. I don't particularly like PMCs below the 6, and that's already competing with the KH310 and CDM65.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Hi guys.
I hope you are doing well.

Im own a small home studio a while ago and now I built it again.

I have Pair of BM6A but Im looking for something new will open my mind.

Im thinking about pmc results6 / focal solo or any kind of genelec.
Making mainly music via vst instruments.

In your option Whats the best solution for 2000-2500 gbp per Pair.
Best regards
Why not just keep on using your current monitors ? Maybe a subwoofer to help with the low end ?
New monitors will not open your mind, just your wallet.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
1. Buy UMIK-1 and see what are you getting.
2. Use DSP to correct the received response.
3. Think how you can a compliment what you already have by adding a pair of sub's, pluging the port's and investing in self stand DSP (ADC - DSP - DAC).

After doing mentioned (and only then) take a look for example at Dynaudio BM9S II sub's and if you can find them at a good price and MiniDSP Flex balanced (which I know you won't find with a good price in UK but still).

OP
Y

Yoti

1. Buy UMIK-1 and see what are you getting.
2. Use DSP to correct the received response.
3. Think how you can a compliment what you already have by adding a pair of sub's, pluging the port's and investing in self stand DSP (ADC - DSP - DAC).

After doing mentioned (and only then) take a look for example at Dynaudio BM9S II sub's and if you can find them at a good price and MiniDSP Flex balanced (which I know you won't find with a good price in UK but still).
I have a Pair of bm6a stored but I will have to bring them ( which will take a few month)
Now im working with headphones:
Option 1- worked with headphones untill my shipping container is arrived. No cost in this option but waiting few month.

Option 2 is to buy new Pair ( 2000-2500 price range) and then try to sell the bm6a when arrived.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I have a Pair of bm6a stored but I will have to bring them ( which will take a few month)
Now im working with headphones:
Option 1- worked with headphones untill my shipping container is arrived. No cost in this option but waiting few month.

Option 2 is to buy new Pair ( 2000-2500 price range) and then try to sell the bm6a when arrived.
Option C buy a pair of cheap but good monitors temporarily and UMIK-1 of course and compare what's better and you can always reuse cheap one's at home. In that regards take a look at Kali LP 6 V2's (less than 400£ pair and with both balanced and unbalanced inputs). Don't use headphones for highs and you need to have speakers for future verification. Nice done room and isolation by the way.

OP
Y

Yoti

Option C buy a pair of cheap but good monitors temporarily and UMIK-1 of course and compare what's better and you can always reuse cheap one's at home. In that regards take a look at Kali LP 6 V2's (less than 400£ pair and with both balanced and unbalanced inputs). Don't use headphones for highs and you need to have speakers for future verification. Nice done room and isolation by the way.
What you are saying is making sense but for some reason I prefer either wait for the bm6a or buy a new Pair.

The bm6a was the most popular monitors for some edm music 10-15 years ago, now rarley if someone is using them.
Im not sure if because othet monitors brands are out thete now or just some trend.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
What you are saying is making sense but for some reason I prefer either wait for the bm6a or buy a new Pair.

The bm6a was the most popular monitors for some edm music 10-15 years ago, now rarley if someone is using them.
Im not sure if because othet monitors brands are out thete now or just some trend.
Well I couldn't find any measurements of them so I don't know what to tell you about them. Kali LP 6 V2's is currently most popular budget monitor and I showed you why. Genelac's and Neumann's are a little better but they already use DSP to achieve such score and don't improve much from future EQ-ing. Anyway you got http address to look further on for what you want. As it's really professional use and you can't either wait that long or do it just on headphones I tried to make a cheap alternative to you at least for the time before rest of your usual equipment arrives however microphone anf DSP use is mandatory part if you ask me.

Top Bottom