• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVRs vs Integrated stereo Amplifiers for 2 channel music

ViperDom

Whereas typical class D designs, are much more efficient, and engineered to their rated spec... with a switching power supply, and an amp designed that way, you get exactly that - your 100W amp will give you 100W and nothing more - no headroom beyond.
Often rated continuous power and peak power are the same (or very close to) for ClassD desings.

Traditional AB designs often publicise their "peak music power" - sometimes this is snake oil - where they advertise the amps ability to put out big W's for a very very brief time... in an attempt to get the customer to think that this is the amps continuous rating....
But the decent (and reputable) ones, rate their amps at continuous ratings, and then may provide information on peak/headroom specs.
Is the above info outdated ?
I see the opposite with HYPEX amps all being advertised at the max spec and Yamaha AB's advertised at RMS.
Also, the HYPEX has a comparable margin between its rms & max ratings.

Lets compare two currently available/popular D & AB amps:

Hypex NC252
8Ω - 100rms / 150max
4Ω ------------ 250max
2Ω ------------ 180max

Yamaha A-S801
8Ω - 100rms / 140max
4Ω ------------ 220
2Ω ------------ 290

D

Deleted member 48726

But remember: Weight seems to be the one measurable value of hi-fi audio gear that most of the »objectivists« in this field don’t feel like taking objectively ;)
Because weight almost always would indicate the amount of copper in the transformer and the mass of the heat sinks. Both indicators of quality.
At least if we are speaking of class a/b/g/h with toroidal, r-core or EI trafo.
Mixing SMPS in the mix disturbs that indicator. As well as class d of course.

D

Deleted member 48726

I see the opposite with HYPEX amps all being advertised at the max spec and Yamaha AB's advertised at RMS.

Hypex NC252
8Ω - 100rms / 150max
4Ω ------------ 250max
2Ω ------------ 180max

Yamaha A-S801
8Ω - 100rms / 140max
4Ω ------------ 220
2Ω ------------ 290
What is the THD at those measurements?

dlaloum

Major Contributor

Hypex NC252
8Ω - 100rms / 150max
4Ω ------------ 250max
2Ω ------------ 180max

Yamaha A-S801
8Ω - 100rms / 140max
4Ω ------------ 220
2Ω ------------ 290
The Hypex are an interesting and high quality device...

Details are here:

It's "Continuous Power" rating is only 50W/channel (with a note to make sure that you have good cooling/heatsinking!
There are no details of what load that 50W is into.

The "Max RMS" output power is rated at 1kHz, 1% THD - but it is not stated for how long (so not the standard power rating method) - 150W

Are we looking at the same device?

So we can try to get some sort of apples and apples comparison perhaps we should look at Amirm's test of an NC252 based amp?

Continuous power measured
236W@4ohm
125W@8ohm

Peak power measured
277W@4ohm
146W@8ohm

So it has a bit of headroom, but not heaps

The Yamaha spec sheet is a much more traditional spec sheet, and (in theory) should be comparable to Amir's measurements.

Audioholics did a very similar test sequence (using much the same tools) at

Yamaha A-S801
Continuous Power
105W@8ohm
185W@4ohm

Peak (Dynamic) Power
165W@8ohm
295W@4ohm

Seems to me that the Class AB amp has more headroom than the ClassD - but in reality they are pretty much of a muchness...

Continuous 105W vs 125W is pretty similar - and peak 165W vs 146W is also pretty close (and unlikely to be any different in actual use!)- but you will note, that as I said earlier, although the (continuous) power rating is lower, the peak rating is indeed higher - so the ClassAB amp in this case, has more headroom than the ClassD - and would be the better option based on your criteria...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hypex are an interesting and high quality device...

Details are here:

It's "Continuous Power" rating is only 50W/channel (with a note to make sure that you have good cooling/heatsinking!
There are no details of what load that 50W is into.

The "Max RMS" output power is rated at 1kHz, 1% THD - but it is not stated for how long (so not the standard power rating method) - 150W

Are we looking at the same device?

So we can try to get some sort of apples and apples comparison perhaps we should look at Amirm's test of an NC252 based amp?

Continuous power measured
236W@4ohm
125W@8ohm

Peak power measured
277W@4ohm
146W@8ohm

So it has a bit of headroom, but not heaps

The Yamaha spec sheet is a much more traditional spec sheet, and (in theory) should be comparable to Amir's measurements.

Audioholics did a very similar test sequence (using much the same tools) at

Yamaha A-S801
Continuous Power
105W@8ohm
185W@4ohm

Peak (Dynamic) Power
165W@8ohm
295W@4ohm

Seems to me that the Class AB amp has more headroom than the ClassD - but in reality they are pretty much of a muchness...

Continuous 105W vs 125W is pretty similar - and peak 165W vs 146W is also pretty close (and unlikely to be any different in actual use!)- but you will note, that as I said earlier, although the (continuous) power rating is lower, the peak rating is indeed higher - so the ClassAB amp in this case, has more headroom than the ClassD - and would be the better option based on your criteria...
The hypex ratings above (not sure about the others) are not based on PSU though, but on thermal performance. So it is not a case that the SMPS has short term higher rating like with a linear supply.

I checked with a local assembler (KJF), how long it was possible to run at the higher rating of 250W/4 ohm. He said they'd tested it, and after 10 minutes at 250W with no sign of limiting had stopped the test. Clearly as long as you are playing music with a dynamic range of around 7dB or more, and minimal clipping, then the rating might as well be continuous.

My gut feel is if you put a big enough heatsink on - or perhaps water cooling ( ;) ) it would be a continuous rating.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The hypex ratings above (not sure about the others) are not based on PSU though, but on thermal performance. So it is not a case that the SMPS has short term higher rating like with a linear supply.

I checked with a local assembler (KJF), how long it was possible to run at the higher rating of 250W/4 ohm. He said they'd tested it, and after 10 minutes at 250W with no sign of limiting had stopped the test. Clearly as long as you are playing music with a dynamic range of around 7dB or more, and minimal clipping, then the rating might as well be continuous.

My gut feel is if you put a big enough heatsink on - or perhaps water cooling ( ;) ) it would be a continuous rating.
I've always looked a bit askance at the way the cooling is done on most of these ClassD modules.... it does not bode well for long term reliability...

I would prefer heavy solid heatsinks properly mounted, and all components kept at termperatures below 40C

(due to my sad experiences with short lifespans of excellent sounding devices, which ran far too hot for their own good)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
kept at temperatures below 40C
That can be tricky in regions where room temperatures can approach that.

I think as long as most solid state stuff is kept below about 80, ane electrolytic caps kept below 60. (Both lower in a typically 21C ambient) then lifetime should be not too problematic.

But I agree - fixing these things to a sheet of 1mm steel isn't going to be the best heat dissipation.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Movies are more in line with the standards of your avr calibration on the volume dial, music can be all over the place. What about actual spl at your seat? In any case at -15 for movies your avr is likely doing fine still, but if worried add a power amp.

Reactions: CK.
D

Deleted member 48726

Compared with what?
Aren't AVR's referencing THX standard?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

THX standard is more for movies recorded to the standard, music doesn't particularly do that.

dlaloum

Major Contributor

Part of the problem we have, is that movies have a reference level to which they are recorded - and which can then be applied in calibrating the system.

Music does not (!) - and if you apply the standard THX 10db boost in the bass - you will get something that in no way matches the original intended frequency balance on the recording.

This becomes a particular issue with "loudness" algorythms / circuits, as the perceptual boost to compensate for differential frequency hearing sensitivity at different SPL's, needs to be based on a calibrated starting point, otherwise, you cannot guarantee the end result...
So given music does not have a base calibration standard - applying "loudness" becomes a completely subjective thing.... best applied with either a loudness knob, or by using the bass & treble settings

D

Deleted member 48726

Part of the problem we have, is that movies have a reference level to which they are recorded - and which can then be applied in calibrating the system.

Music does not (!) - and if you apply the standard THX 10db boost in the bass - you will get something that in no way matches the original intended frequency balance on the recording.

This becomes a particular issue with "loudness" algorythms / circuits, as the perceptual boost to compensate for differential frequency hearing sensitivity at different SPL's, needs to be based on a calibrated starting point, otherwise, you cannot guarantee the end result...
So given music does not have a base calibration standard - applying "loudness" becomes a completely subjective thing.... best applied with either a loudness knob, or by using the bass & treble settings
I don't know why you are telling me that. :) I was just asking if that was what OP meant when he wrote this-->

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I don't know why you are telling me that. :) I was just asking if that was what OP meant when he wrote this-->
Sorry - wasn't meant to be particularly directed to/at you....

Just the whole calibration & loudness thing is a bit of a bugbear that some are not aware of

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
THX standard is more for movies recorded to the standard, music doesn't particularly do that.
Plus - for THX reference levels to apply then the reproduction system/room need to be calibrated to that standard - Ie it necessarily results in a reference SPL level in the listening space.

So quoting THX reference levels doesn't tell us much about how hard the amp/speakers are being driven.

(Though I accept it does answer the question of relative levels for music/movies.)

Last edited:
OP
C

CK.

Movies are more in line with the standards of your avr calibration on the volume dial, music can be all over the place. What about actual spl at your seat? In any case at -15 for movies your avr is likely doing fine still, but if worried add a power amp.
Yeah basically -17 is about 75db spl at mlp.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
75dB average or peak?
Given we are discussing calibration and reference levels and those are measured using pink noise.... that would be continuous? (not that the question is invalid... just checking assumptions)

Reactions: CK.
Top Bottom