• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

JuggyRSA

I bought one of these DACs and paired it with the Adam Audio T7V and to my ears it is a very good combinatrion. I use BT from a tablet or phone for Spotify. I also have the optical out from my TV connected and have a weird issue where when I switch everything on the sound cuts out 3 or 4 times in the first 3 minutes but then stabilises. This didn't happen on my Yamaha sound bar when connected the same way.

Have SMSL released a firmware update that is not displayed on their website?

okok

hey folks, any actual users around here, got a question about the setting:

there's a DPLL setting, 15 steps, my question: does this DPLL setting only available for usb input, or you can also change the dpll with spdif inputs?

thanks

JSmith

Master Contributor
there's a DPLL setting, 15 steps, my question: does this DPLL setting only available for usb input, or you can also change the dpll with spdif inputs?
The DPLL level adjustment (if available to user selection) always applies globally, so yes all inputs. The default setting is 7 FWIR,

JSmith

JuggyRSA

0 is "DPLL OFF" in the datasheet
It doesn't have a 0, it goes down from "2" to "Min" at the lowest end then "14" to "Max" at the highest end. 1 is lowest and is called Min, 15 is highest and is called Max.
Screenshot 2022-10-11 212143.jpg

okok

It doesn't have a 0, it goes down from "2" to "Min" at the lowest end then "14" to "Max" at the highest end. 1 is lowest and is called Min, 15 is highest and is called Max.

datasheet of the chip, 0 to 14, 15 steps

cosmom3

Update after owning mine for a couple of weeks now - I love it paired with the SH-9 and it actually bumps the power up to the full marketed 6Ws of power with the matching DAC.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Still very happy with this gadget since purchase. Does anyone else have the impression that the Brickwall filter has by far the most transparency or did I just a have a good mood/health for listening while switching to it :D?

Sp12

Edit: replugged the wires and it works now. Sounds great

Hey all want to see if yall can help me with what im doing wrong as I cant get any sound to come out. I just got my smsl su-9u today and using a monoprice thx 887 connected to my arya's. My 887 and arya work fine as I been using them with my old dac with regular RCA cables

-Im running balanced cables from the 887 to the su-9.
-running a usb output from the snu-9 with an apple usb adapter to my iphone
-from the thx 887 im running a 6.35 cable to my arya's.

Is the issue that I need a balanced to 3.5mm cable for my arya? Im confused on how to connect the cables. I cant get too much light in my room but i'll put some screenshots here and thank you all.

(Sorry for the poor cable management im shifting my table) :)

Attachments

• 094E7170-D26B-447F-9F82-9D5AFA9BA309.jpeg
    094E7170-D26B-447F-9F82-9D5AFA9BA309.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 18BAA0D4-B4AE-4633-A746-CF0CAB992CBD.jpeg
    18BAA0D4-B4AE-4633-A746-CF0CAB992CBD.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
-Im running balanced cables from the 887 to the su-9.
-running a usb output from the snu-9 with an apple usb adapter to my iphone
-from the thx 887 im running a 6.35 cable to my arya's.

Is the issue that I need a balanced to 3.5mm cable for my arya?
Seems fine :) and all outputs should be active. No such thing as a 'balanced to 3.5mm' BTW!
Seeing your edit I suppose you figured it out~

JSmith

Master Contributor

prerich

Although I loved my Gustard x16 - subjectively there was something just to..."clean", as a friend of mine commented. I've recently moved on to the Su-9N and my question is concerning the PCM Filters available. I started off using the Brickwall filter and it did an excellent job - but it seemed that the highs were a bit cut off in the decay. I changed to the default Fast Linear filter and the highs (namely the symbols in my favorite tracks) have the proper decay. Does anyone else have a preference as to which filter they use? As far as sound color - I haven't tried that yet, as I find Standard enjoyable all by itself.

Top Bottom