• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

nematode

Is there any universal remote that can control my DAC (SMSL-SU9n) volume and my Sony TV and otherwise?

Selarom

Is there any universal remote that can control my DAC (SMSL-SU9n) volume and my Sony TV and otherwise?
Your best bet is to get one of those remotes that can learn IR commands. I have a Harmony ONE from way back in the day, still works. It's the most comfortable remote I have. It has that feature.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I remember That remote. I had it.
Unfortunately Logitech has discontinued its Harmony range of universal remotes... so you will need to find old new stock or take a punt on 2nd hand.

JSmith

RedCometZero

The optical input on my SU-9n that I use with my TV has stopped working. It says "No signal" all the time now. Nothing has changed on my end, and it was working yesterday just fine. I've tried a hard reboot (unplugging from the wall) and resetting to factory settings and neither did the trick. I've tried 2 optical sources (TV and blu ray player) and getting "No signal" from both. USB input works. Contacting APOS Audio (where I purchased it 7 months ago), but any ideas what's wrong?

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The optical input on my SU-9n that I use with my TV has stopped working. It says "No signal" all the time now. Nothing has changed on my end, and it was working yesterday just fine. I've tried a hard reboot (unplugging from the wall) and resetting to factory settings and neither did the trick. I've tried 2 optical sources (TV and blu ray player) and getting "No signal" from both. USB input works. Contacting APOS Audio (where I purchased it 7 months ago), but any ideas what's wrong?
Could be the cable. Try to change that. Also, can you see the led laser (red light) ?

As for optical, always use optical glass cable (plastic one are crap).

RedCometZero

Could be the cable. Try to change that. Also, can you see the led laser (red light) ?

As for optical, always use optical glass cable (plastic one are crap).
Tried different cables between the TV and Blu-ray player, neither worked. One of the two is glass. Also tried a third source, my Xbox 360, still getting "No Signal."

Gradius

You mean red light coming from the sources through the cables? Yes. No red light coming from DAC (which is a receiver not a transmitter)
Btw, the coaxial is working? Test it just in case.

If works, it means some component from optical died. The diode last over 10 years, so is rare to die in just few months.

If not, then the components from S/PDIF section went bad.

RedCometZero

I moved it over to my desktop to try Coaxial, and, weirdly, putting coaxial through it seems to have fixed the optical input? Or leaving it off overnight fixed it when leaving it off for an hour didn't? At any rate it's working now, but the fact that it works now is so mysterious that I'm worried it may stop working again in the future.

Gradius

I moved it over to my desktop to try Coaxial, and, weirdly, putting coaxial through it seems to have fixed the optical input? Or leaving it off overnight fixed it when leaving it off for an hour didn't? At any rate it's working now, but the fact that it works now is so mysterious that I'm worried it may stop working again in the future.
So there are 3 options here:

1- Something is not properly soldered/fixed inside, or;
2- It was into "stuck" mode... at a hardware level (capacitor perhaps), since you fully power off (from the wall) before, right?
3- A bug from firmware.

If happens again, let it 15 minutes fully power off from the wall, but I don't think it would happen again, if so, it would confirm is indeed a cap.

Of course, it would be better if SMSL can replicate such issue.

RedCometZero

So there are 3 options here:

1- Something is not properly soldered/fixed inside, or;
2- It was into "stuck" mode... at a hardware level (capacitor perhaps), since you fully power off (from the wall) before, right?
3- A bug from firmware.

If happens again, let it 15 minutes fully power off from the wall, but I don't think it would happen again, if so, it would confirm is indeed a cap.

Of course, it would be better if SMSL can replicate such issue.
Unfortunately this problem has been recurring. Running coaxial into it doesn't actually fix the problem, and when the device is having the problem, coaxial input doesn't work either. It seems the only thing that does fix it is leaving it unplugged from the wall for several minutes. Also, strangely, when it does work, the sample rate is not displayed under the optical icon, but but text saying "CONNECTED."

Apos says they haven't heard of this problem from others, so I think it's probably a defect in some component.

Gradius

Unfortunately this problem has been recurring. Running coaxial into it doesn't actually fix the problem, and when the device is having the problem, coaxial input doesn't work either. It seems the only thing that does fix it is leaving it unplugged from the wall for several minutes. Also, strangely, when it does work, the sample rate is not displayed under the optical icon, but but text saying "CONNECTED."

Apos says they haven't heard of this problem from others, so I think it's probably a defect in some component.
Must be a capacitor.

Just RMA it.

nematode

Anybody else have an issue with Sony TV/Verizon cable box volume via optical toslink is not as loud as anything else?

anphex

Forum Donor
Does fixed volume have any advantages over variable volume? Some processing bypass? As I see it, running it at variable volume at 99 is more reasonable because of the higher Vrms output.

Celty

Does fixed volume have any advantages over variable volume? Some processing bypass? As I see it, running it at variable volume at 99 is more reasonable because of the higher Vrms output.
I run mine at 99 volume precisely for that reason, I want to feed my Singxer SA-1 full Vrms. A great sounding pairing, BTW.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I think it's a requirement for DSD to work since you can't adjust volume of DSD.

I havey SMSL D300 in fixed mode.

Celty

just picked up one of these to pair with my THX 887.
Congrats, that should be great :) and a superb bang-for-buck combo.

Top Bottom