• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See post #1,059. This is as good as it gets. Its not from SMSL, of course but ShenzhenAudio is trying to clean up their mess.
SMSL did NOT update the firmware revision number when they corrected this bug, so it is completely worthless for determining whether or not your SU-9 has the fix or not.
^^^^
What he said. Quit focusing on the firmware revision as it did not change and was not a part of the "fix".

Riaz-Ahmed

after all this mess, in 4 months, they never took the defective versions off the market, so it's probably defective.
The problem is they don't replace the faulty dacs with the updated ones, you have to return your dac to Amazon and then buy another one, this is insane. I measure mine and it was defective.

That is right.

I contacted the Shenzhen Audio and they told me to order the SU-9 using the China cart option on Amazon instead of the Prime option.

Prime option = ships from local Amazon warehouse, next day delivery. Defective model

China cart option = ships from Shenzhen Audio in China. Comes in 3-5 days (to the UK) but firmware upgraded model.

Both options are same price!

robertospeed

Today I did a test with amplified and connected speakers in XLR and I don't feel a buzz, so my su-9 is good ?

robertospeed

But I can at least know what fault is, because I have the DAC su-9 from 3 days, I don't know what this bug is, can you kindly explain it?

mario_rouge

I have a Prime subscription, why should I buy without all the guarantees that Amazon Prime gives to me? why does Shenzhen audio not have control over its European warehouses? why should i pay customs taxes? why should i send mine back? can't they replace it?

That is right.

I contacted the Shenzhen Audio and they told me to order the SU-9 using the China cart option on Amazon instead of the Prime option.

Prime option = ships from local Amazon warehouse, next day delivery. Defective model

China cart option = ships from Shenzhen Audio in China. Comes in 3-5 days (to the UK) but firmware upgraded model.

Naedtrax

Hoping to jump on this, but can't seem to find out if the judder issue with OLED TV's is present on the SU9.

I sold my smsl su-8 awhile ago do to the "stutter" that was happening due to the timing or something along those lines.
Can anyone confirm if it's okay now?

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hoping to jump on this, but can't seem to find out if the judder issue with OLED TV's is present on the SU9.

Do you mean “jitter”?

I use SU-8 V2 and connecting Toslink (optical) sources with poor jitter resulted in broken audio signal.

SU-9 has DPLL jitter reduction technology.
From memory on SU-9 the DPLL strength can be set between 1-14, which will make it more likely to be compatible for sources with poor jitter performance (TV’s etc) but it is no 100% guarantee.

You might be able to find the specific answer if you search for “SU-9” and “Insert TV model name here” online.

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I did a test with amplified and connected speakers in XLR and I don't feel a buzz, so my su-9 is good ?
Why do you think you would feel a buzz and why is that (buzz) indicative of the problem brought up in this thread regarding 3rd harmonic distortion?r Or is what you are referring to another problem?

robertospeed

Why do you think you would feel a buzz and why is that (buzz) indicative of the problem brought up in this thread regarding 3rd harmonic distortion?r Or is what you are referring to another problem?
Honestly, I don't know what problem you're talking about this thread, if you can explain it, please I would be grateful. So what problems should the SU-9 have?

psm

That is right.

This seems to be correct. I have the DAC62402 which exhibits this issue through REW. I picked up a Sabaj D5 (Sabaj and SMSL are the same company) which has the same chip and appears to have the same issue, same as the M500.

I spoke to Shenzhen via Amazon and they said they cannot confirm if the issue is present by serial numbers; I had expected the 6XXXX numbers to be the new ones but this is not the case. They said that any orders from Amazon warehouse, not China, are expected to be the old version.

They asked if I wanted to send it to France which I declined. I like the unit and I have the SH-9 and DA-9 so I have ordered from China and will return the faulty one.

Last edited:

JoostE

after all this mess, in 4 months, they never took the defective versions off the market, so it's probably defective.
The problem is they don't replace the faulty dacs with the updated ones, you have to return your dac to Amazon and then buy another one, this is insane. I measure mine and it was defective.

How did you test it? Would like to test it myself too.

The serial number is not indicative perse either. Because AFAIK the serial number is not updated after a firmware upgrade either. So other than testing or believing your sales rep, there is nothing you can do AFAIK

Sisay

How did you test it? Would like to test it myself too.

The serial number is not indicative perse either. Because AFAIK the serial number is not updated after a firmware upgrade either. So other than testing or believing your sales rep, there is nothing you can do AFAIK

reading this thread, it turns out that the only way is to give back and buy another (other company)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
reading this thread, it turns out that the only way is to give back and buy another (other company)
or have it tested as @JoostE stated.
SMSL and their distributor have done nothing to clear up or fix the problem. In fact, some might say, have made it worse.

Last edited:

JoostE

or have it tested as @JoostE stated.
SMSL and their distributor has done nothing to clear up or fix the problem. In fact, some might say, have made it worse.

SMSL did a horendous job, agreed but I think at least one of their distributors, Audiophonics in France has done a good job. Flashed all inventory and put a sticker on the box. I got mine there and while I am quite convinced they updated mine (it had the sticker), I would like to test it just to put in on here with certainty.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL did a horendous job, agreed but I think at least one of their distributors, Audiophonics in France has done a good job. Flashed all inventory and put a sticker on the box. I got mine there and while I am quite convinced they updated mine (it had the sticker), I would like to test it just to put in on here with certainty.
You are right, my bad. Audiophonics did the right thing.
I was speaking from my perspective which was who i dealt with when placing my order (someone i was trying not to point out by name)

robertospeed

The manager who deals with S.M.S.L shipments on Amazon wrote me this:

Hi, i called the technician and he said there have no quality issue.
Just some people want to get latest version.
Thanks

mario_rouge

The manager who deals with S.M.S.L shipments on Amazon wrote me this:

Hi, i called the technician and he said there have no quality issue.
Just some people want to get latest version.
Thanks

Did they really tell you this?
But how can they be so dishonest towards their customers?
The DAC, if not updated, has a serious distortion problem, 30 euro DACs distort the sound less.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Is the update tool the same as for the Sabaj D5?

robertospeed

Did they really tell you this?
But how can they be so dishonest towards their customers?
The DAC, if not updated, has a serious distortion problem, 30 euro DACs distort the sound less.
But I don't see any defect on the su-9, it sounds good, but if you say it has a defect, I immediately return it on Amazon

Top Bottom