• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

tortoise

So APOS says I can replace my current SU-9 with one they have in stock. When I asked if the ones they have in stock are the updated units, they said that they receive devices from SMSL every couple weeks and it should be the updated ones. I don't think that person really knows and simply assumed SMSL has sent them updated devices. So I emailed SMSL to ask if they had sent APOS updated SU-9, I still have to receive a reply.

Has anyone else actually received an updated SU-9 recently as a replacement from APOS?

Riaz-Ahmed

Hi all, despite all the firmware and delivery issues, I have very positive feedback on the performance of this DAC. I got mine recently direct from Shenzhen Audio China (hopefully with the firmware update!!)

Anyway, it is a bloody amazing DAC and produces wonderful musical output with real presence and punch.

I have shared my thoughts here and here while discussing this DAC as well as the Topping EX5, IFI Zen CAN and Bluesound Node 2i.

Hope this is useful for someone.

Cheers!

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, despite all the firmware and delivery issues, I have very positive feedback on the performance of this DAC. I got mine recently direct from Shenzhen Audio China (hopefully with the firmware update!!)!

Hopefully!
Glad you are enjoying yours and your strong faith wrt smsl and SA.
Unfortunately for some, hope is not a strategy and prefer proof

robertospeed

I would like to make the return of the SU-9, since you say it has problems and buying the Gustard DAC-X16, with the hope that this has no problems

tortoise

SMSL sent me an email and said that all units shipped recently to APOS have the updated firmware. So I'll go ahead and replace my current unit.

tortoise

I did specifically mention the third harmonic distortion issue in my email, and they said the units that had been shipped to APOS had the problem fixed.

Like most people, I really can't hear that defect on my SU-9 as I love that DAC, but since I'm within the two year warranty window, I might as well replace my technically defected unit. Are they telling the truth about fixing the issue? Let's hope so.

LukaV

Hi!
My SU 9 sounds perfect using single ended outputs. Bought on March 15. via HiFiGO.
So problem only occours using balanced outputs?

robertospeed

Have yours tested to know the answer. No one on this forum can answer your question
And from whom should I make it test? I first make the return and buy another type of DAC that has no problems, indeed with 400 euros what other DAC could I buy?

vco1

I would like to make the return of the SU-9, since you say it has problems and buying the Gustard DAC-X16, with the hope that this has no problems
Did you read the thread on the X16? This one too has issues. How serious they are depends on your expectations and what you're listening to. The X16 seems to have problems with some DSD files. There is a fix, but that requires disassembly of the unit and a (cheap) device to flash the EEPROM.

robertospeed

Did you read the thread on the X16? This one too has issues. How serious they are depends on your expectations and what you're listening to. The X16 seems to have problems with some DSD files. There is a fix, but that requires disassembly of the unit and a (cheap) device to flash the EEPROM.
:eek:

Does topping D10s also problems?

Magnifico

SMSL M300 MK2....This device has no issues.

But if you are really smart....send SU-9 back and reorder one that has the updated firmware.
Nothing comes close to this device currently. 80€ difference (compared prices in germany) is one tier in pricing for me.
Plus amazon has a 10% drop on top!
This whole desaster pays off as it should for SMSL. Prices are dropping down low. SMSL deserves this.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, need help with my SU-9s (they have been returned by HiFiGo after the SW update - more on that later).

Basically I have installed the latest USB driver in my Windows 10 PC but I am hearing a lot of pops and clicks during playback... regardless of the sample rate and on both PCM and DSD. Attaching a screen shot of my ASIO buffer from the driver control panel. Any ideas what the solution might be for this issue and has anyone else also faced this. As I recall this issue was there even before the SW update my HiFiGo... pretty sure it's for something to do with the buffer settings but don't know what.

PS. I am using Roon in ASIO mode to play music via USB to the SU-9. Thanks
20210810_232251.jpg

8050dave

Hi everyone,

Sounds like a few people are having fun times with this DAC, i too have had some fun but on a different level to the software problem and the resulting lack of support from the local seller has been horible.
I have had a serious safety issie arise within 20minutes of plugging the unit in, i am currently working from home due to lockdowns so when i recieved my dac i unplugged it set it up and listened to one song before i had to get back to work. I do local support for a commknwealth entity here in australia and was talking on the phone with another collegue sorting out some issues and all of a sudden flash splat from the dac whilst just powered up on the desk, power dropped out and i had to go and reset the breakers. Upon inspection of the DAC it had blown a hole straight through the aluminium bottom plate at what looks like one of the pin locations on the IEC power connector, appears pins may not have been cut cleanly or short enough and as unit warmed up and mains voltage fluctued the creep distance narrowed to the point of flashover.
20210722_122254.jpg

Attachments

• 20210722_122326.jpg
    20210722_122326.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 92

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

Sounds like a few people are having fun times with this DAC, i too have had some fun but on a different level to the software problem and the resulting lack of support from the local seller has been horible.
I have had a serious safety issie arise within 20minutes of plugging the unit in, i am currently working from home due to lockdowns so when i recieved my dac i unplugged it set it up and listened to one song before i had to get back to work. I do local support for a commknwealth entity here in australia and was talking on the phone with another collegue sorting out some issues and all of a sudden flash splat from the dac whilst just powered up on the desk, power dropped out and i had to go and reset the breakers. Upon inspection of the DAC it had blown a hole straight through the aluminium bottom plate at what looks like one of the pin locations on the IEC power connector, appears pins may not have been cut cleanly or short enough and as unit warmed up and mains voltage fluctued the creep distance narrowed to the point of flashover.
View attachment 146840
Whoa! Good thing for circuit breakers or you woulda had a major crisis. Take pics for us and for your records of the event. The manufacturer or wholesaler in your country will definitely have to provide support for this.

8050dave

Whoa! Good thing for circuit breakers or you woulda had a major crisis. Take pics for us and for your records of the event. The manufacturer or wholesaler in your country will definitely have to provide support for this.
I would like to think so but after some back and forth they have gone silent on me even after not providing any solution to try and help me out like a post paid envelope they just offered to look at it as soon as it arrived so i ordered another one which took 2 weeks to arive so i would not be without a dac, the above faulty unit actually still worked but since then phone calls emails vot messages have all gone unanswered and i have struggled not to open it to find out what caused it due to warranty issues, to say i am pissed off is an understatement

Top Bottom