• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

bauerctu

Thank you for your message. We 100% make sure that the SU-9 you received is the one with the latest firmware. You may also find that most previous firmware versions were based on S.M.S.L DAC+ numbers, and SMSL also updated a brand-new serial number recenly with the new firmware to make it easy for us to distinguish it from the previous version, and we don't need to verify when the SU-9 was purchased. Please rest assured.

Dear Shenzhenaudio [hereafter SZA], thanks again for recent and kind reply.
This might be my last question for updated-or-not SU-9 to rest assured as you said.

StevYu and I bought SU-9 from SZA.com almost same time, and asked same question here to SZA.
- Ask SZA to confirm shipping 3rd harmonic patched one before purchase : Jul 12 vs Jul 12
- Order date : Jul 12 vs Jul 13
- Order No : #SZAW13757 vs #SZAW13790
- Serial No : 3200010200428 vs 3200010200420

1) He (StevYu) asked first how to find out updated-one (Jul 19), and SZA answered that check side sticker S/N (Jul 20).
2) He said that his S/N is 32000102004**(Jul 20), and SZA replied that "THAT'S WEIRD. PLS DM to SZA" (Jul 20)

Anyone can know that this SZA's comment (weired..) clearly states that SU-9 with S/N 32000102004** has not been updated.

3) I (bauerctu) asked almost same question as StevYu's Jul 20 post (Jul 23).
4) SZA now answered that with or without side sticker, bauer's SU-9 is latest firmware SU-9 (Jul 24)

You know, 3rd harmonic patched update version and previous firmware version has same firmware Number. It hasn't been changed. In this situation, buyers only confirm updated version by side sticker with S/N DAC6*****. SZA already posted that updated one has side sticker (Jul 20), and if there is no side sticker at recently purchased SU-9, that is wired and should directly contact to SZA (Jul 20).

And four days later, SZA suddenly and totally changed, answering that with or without side sticker, all recently shipped from SZA (StevYu's and Bauerctu's) SU-9 has latest firmware.

Honestly, I can't believe SZA's Jul 24 answer. "It's weired (Jul 20)" vs "rest assured (Jul 23)". Since SZA is a large seller, not a small one, I think SZA should exchange my and StevYu's products to one with side sticker DAC6**** S/N.

Because both of them inquired about the update-or-not before purchasing, and received SZA's confirmation that SZA will ship 3rd harmonic issue patched SU-9. Exchanging would be a one and only reasonable solution to this situation.

asr_su9_2.jpg

PS. dear StevYu, did SZA already exchange your SU-9? let me know, thanks

Last edited:

mario_rouge

I bought my su9 on the 24th on Amazon.it this is the serial number DAC62871. Does it have updated firmware? in the weekend I will measure it
@SHENZHENAUDIO

Attachments

• IMG_20210726_134922.jpg
    IMG_20210726_134922.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 109

glucenag

One thing I'm not absolutely certain : is the Knob also a volume control? I guess do but... If so, how does it "feel"?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I'm not absolutely certain : is the Knob also a volume control? I guess do but... If so, how does it "feel"?
I find it less solid/firm than i would prefer. Much better than the knobs on some of their other products but still a bit flimsy for my tastes.

JoostE

What are you guys using in windows setting (bitrate etc) for the USB input on the SU9?

I use Qobuz, in wasapi exclusive mode it automatically sets the bitrate of the dac to be equal tothe song (right?).

But for other sources, like internet radio, youtube etc what would be the best bitrate setting in windows for the SU9?

Veri

Master Contributor
What are you guys using in windows setting (bitrate etc) for the USB input on the SU9?

I use Qobuz, in wasapi exclusive mode it automatically sets the bitrate of the dac to be equal tothe song (right?).

But for other sources, like internet radio, youtube etc what would be the best bitrate setting in windows for the SU9?
Max bitrate (can't hurt anything) and either 44k/48k depending on what you use more tends to give the best performance out of modern DAC chips.

JoostE

Thanks Veri,

How do I find out if I use 44 or 48 more, lol. Google every source I use? (youtube, twitch etc etc)

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the fortunate ones who have had their SU-9s updated to correct the 3rd harmonics....has there been any audible differences noted al all? Or is it still slightly darker sounding as before?

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks Veri,

How do I find out if I use 44 or 48 more, lol. Google every source I use? (youtube, twitch etc etc)
44k is most music. 48k is used for movies, series. Some games. Both should work fine. I personally set it to 44k 32-bit and use mpc-hc player in wasapi exclusive mode for my video content. But if you use lots of YouTube/streaming I think 48k will be most general purpose :)

JoostE

Thanks. I never watch movies on my computer (where my SU9 and headphones are). Just music while working or some kind of youtube/twitch etc while procrastinating lmao.

Will set it to 48k in windows. Qobuz (the only music source I use) should overrule it anyway.

Sisay

the su-9 has a very weak bass compared to the music streamerII. Unfortunately, I do not compare to other DACs, do you think so or maybe the Music streamer was too strong? After all, what serial number is the new firmware from? I have 62xxx

marcom22

the su-9 has a very weak bass compared to the music streamerII. Unfortunately, I do not compare to other DACs, do you think so or maybe the Music streamer was too strong? After all, what serial number is the new firmware from? I have 62xxx

Absolutely not true. The SU-9 is a fantastic DAC that is as neutral as possible, if you have problems with the sound the problem is somewhere else.

Nettuno

I received the request to send my SU9 to do the update.
I read on the Forum that the SU9 and M500 problems were already known in April! and I bought it in July but I already have to return it for an upgrade, it is really annoying.
I too have asked Amazon for a refund and I will follow the advice of the Forum, do not take more SMSL products but.

Sisay

Absolutely not true. The SU-9 is a fantastic DAC that is as neutral as possible, if you have problems with the sound the problem is somewhere else.
hey that's why i ask. I only have an old DAC (music streamer II) and a recently purchased Su-9. The Su-9 has better highs and mids, but it lacks bass at least twice (the old DAC has a much harder, stronger hit and is much faster). Hence the question whether perhaps the old Dac is not exaggerated :)

Top Bottom