• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

StevYu

That's weird. Pls DM us where did you buy it and when, thank you.
Well, i will just repeat what I said in an earlier post,
Hi ShenzhenAudio, I got my SU-9 yesterday, from Mainland China delivered to Australia. ORDER #SZAW13757
1 Week ago, I asked customer service on Amazon AUS (ShenZhenAudio was the seller) if their stock were new ones with updated firmware, I got an answer to order from SZAudio directly from China to be sure, and I did on 12/July/2021.
With my unit, the packaging had 3200010200428 as the S/N, and there was no sticker on the DAC unit body with the DAC 6**** number (supposedly the new S/N version?).
Now, Can you please check if my unit has the new firmware?
I also think the no version number change on the firmware was a bad implementation, more work for you, and more frustration to your customer.
Thanks

Attachments

• B59CB555-248E-44D8-8D8D-C50AA15ED975.jpeg
    B59CB555-248E-44D8-8D8D-C50AA15ED975.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 192

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I swear human psychologists will have an absolute field day with this thread! :D

Everyone enjoyed there unit without any complaints. Then an issue arises that can be measured but nobody could hear. Everyone is unhappy and dissatisfied with the product. A fix through a firmware update becomes available but the firmware doesn't get a new number. So people get back their fixed units but are still not happy and have no "peace of mind" because they can't verify that the unit is fixed as firmware version is has not visually changed and there was no audible issue to begin with. So they put stickers on boxes that are fixed. People go bananas when they receive back their box without sticker as that must mean it is not fixed although supplier confirms the unit has been flashed.

So they could just print 20000 stickers and put them on every box in the warehouse and all the people will have instant "peace of mind" and problem is solved.

You have to admit that sometimes human psychology is working in quite humorous ways.

Last edited:

Loaw

I swear human psychologists will have an absolute field day with this thread! :D

Everyone enjoyed there unit without any complaints. Then an issue arises that can be measured but nobody could hear. Everyone is unhappy and dissatisfied with the product. A fix through a firmware update becomes available but the firmware doesn't get a new number. So people get back their fixed units but are still not happy and have no "peace of mind" because they can't verify that the unit is fixed as firmware version is has not visually changed and there was no audible issue to begin with. So they put stickers on boxes that are fixed. People go bananas when they receive back their box with sticker as that must mean it is not fixed although supplier confirms the unit has been flashed.

So they could just print 20000 stickers and put them on every box in the warehouse and all the people will have instant "peace of mind" and problem is solved.

You have to admit that sometimes human psychology is working in quite humorous ways.
You deserve /thumbsup.

tortoise

@muslhead

So you got an upgraded version directly from APOS, correct?

I just exchanged a few emails with them. They initially said I should send the device to SMSL, but then when I insisted that I don't want to do that, they said they'll look into a replacement/return or an upgrade, but the person didn't know exactly how it would work.

GuyLux

@SHENZHENAUDIO
I bought on April SMSL SU-9 from Audiophonics .

Message modified after a phone conversation with Audiophonics
An agreement found, they will mail a specific document
Happy ending !

Last edited:

vco1

No opinion on the attitude of Audiophonics in this case. But I think that anybody who's concerned about this issue should return their device. No matter the seller. Period. It's a product with a "confirmed" defect. Or at least, a defect when looking at measurements.
If one doesn't care about this issue, fine. Just keep your device as is. Based on what I read on ASR, nobody will ever notice this issue anyway.

I do have an opinion on the fact that you had to pay to get it fixed. If you bought your unit at this dealer, they should pay for it. And get their expenses back from SMSL.

Same goes for the Gustard X16 b.t.w. (DSD issue).

The risk (or consequence) of all this will be that in the end there will hardly be any local dealers for these brands anymore.

vco1

hi, do the models sold on Amazon Europe finally have the updated firmware?
Since there does not exist a single vendor "Amazon" or "Amazon Europe", in particular not in the case of SMSL products, the most likely answer is no.

There are many "Amazon" warehouses, also in Europe, and many sources within "Amazon" from which SU-9's are sold. And I don't expect all (any?) of these vendors to open the box and manually update the firmware of these devices.

My guess is that the firmware update is a mess (e.g. no change in version number) and will stay a mess for as long as there are SU-9's around.

nobody

hi, do the models sold on Amazon Europe finally have the updated firmware?
If you want to be sure, that you will receive fixed unit in Europe, buy it from Audiophonics.fr
They are service point for Europe and have updated all units in stock.

Katji

Major Contributor

Everyone enjoyed there unit without any complaints. Then an issue arises that can be measured but nobody could hear. Everyone is unhappy and dissatisfied with the product. A fix through a firmware update becomes available but the firmware doesn't get a new number. So people get back their fixed units but are still not happy and have no "peace of mind" because they can't verify that the unit is fixed as firmware version is has not visually changed and there was no audible issue to begin with. So they put stickers on boxes that are fixed. People go bananas when they receive back their box without sticker as that must mean it is not fixed although supplier confirms the unit has been flashed.

1626950164401.png

...They could have a field day with audiophile forums generally. .....Not the least people hearing things that aren't there and saying "I know what I hear."

bauerctu

Here is the S/N, you can see it on the side of the SU-9. Thank you.
View attachment 142345

Dear Shenzhenaudio,

After previous chatting with kind customer service that all SU-9 in Shenzhenaudio are updated 3rd hamonic issue patch, i ordered at July 13th and received SU-9 at July 16th, order No #SZAW13790. Although I can get about $300 "like-new" status used SU-9 from second hand market, but i bought new one from Shenzhenaudio since I don't need old one with 3rd harmonic problem.

However, after open delivered SU-9 parcel, i found un-updated old style serial number "3200010200420" at box and downside SU-9. No new serial number sticker at side. Regarding your and Addy's posts, updated SU-9 should have new S/N starting from "DAC6xxxx".

Definitely, my SU-9 looks like un-updated one. Please don't answer again "your SU-9 is updated (check attached gmail reply)". I'm serious, let me know how I can change mine to updated SU-9, with new "DAC6xxxxx" S/N.

su9_ASR upload.jpg

Last edited:

Carnatux

Dear Shenzhenaudio,

After previous chatting with kind customer service that all SU-9 in Shenzhenaudio are updated 3rd hamonic issue patch, i ordered at July 13th and received SU-9 at July 16th, order No #SZAW13790. Although I can get about $300 "like-new" status used SU-9 from second hand market, but i bought new one from Shenzhenaudio since I don't need old one with 3rd harmonic problem.

However, there are un-updated old style serial number "3200010200420" at box and downside SU-9. No new serial number sticker at side. Regarding your and Addy's posts, updated SU-9 should have new S/N starting from "DAC6xxxx".

Definitely, my SU-9 looks like un-updated one. Please don't answer again "your SU-9 is updated one (check attached gmail reply)". I'm serious, let me know how I change mine to updated SU-9, with new "DAC6xxxxx" S/N.

View attachment 143057
If its worth anything my used model has no serial# sticker anywhere on the box or underneath the unit itself. only the old serial# on the right side.
Does your Serial# start with a 6?
Edit: nvm saw the pic again.

Guilro

Dear Shenzhenaudio,

However, after open delivered SU-9 parcel, i found un-updated old style serial number "3200010200420" at box and downside SU-9. No new serial number sticker at side. Regarding your and Addy's posts, updated SU-9 should have new S/N starting from "DAC6xxxx".

Definitely, my SU-9 looks like un-updated one. Please don't answer again "your SU-9 is updated (check attached gmail reply)". I'm serious, let me know how I can change mine to updated SU-9, with new "DAC6xxxxx" S/N.

View attachment 143131

Hi, Im new in the forum. Im in the same situation about my SU-9 model. I ordered DA9 + SU9 in Amazon USA a week ago. I receipt the packet today, and they sent the SD-9 unit instead the DA9 AMP, so now Im frustrated with a long process and fees to send it back. Also the SU-9 is not a new unit (the screen plastic protectors wasnt there), and only has the serial number in the box and in the bottom of the SU-9. I dont know if its a deffective unit. Hope shenzen audio helps me with both issues.

Attachments

• 20210723_153221.png
    20210723_153221.png
    584.1 KB · Views: 157

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
Dear Shenzhenaudio,

View attachment 143131
Thank you for your message. We 100% make sure that the SU-9 you received is the one with the latest firmware. You may also find that most previous firmware versions were based on S.M.S.L DAC+ numbers, and SMSL also updated a brand-new serial number recenly with the new firmware to make it easy for us to distinguish it from the previous version, and we don't need to verify when the SU-9 was purchased. Please rest assured.

beq1990

Thank you for your message. We 100% make sure that the SU-9 you received is the one with the latest firmware. You may also find that most previous firmware versions were based on S.M.S.L DAC+ numbers, and SMSL also updated a brand-new serial number recenly with the new firmware to make it easy for us to distinguish it from the previous version, and we don't need to verify when the SU-9 was purchased. Please rest assured.
I’m a little bit lost here. Can you confirm that new units with serial number starting with DAC6 (mine is DAC63164) have the updated firmware?

Top Bottom