• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 375 83.9%

• Total voters

natna

Great news, especially the good toslink behaviour. Yes the FR could be better.

Pair this box with a good VFM TPA3255 or A/B Class (kit) amp and, for half or 1/3 of the cost, we have a solution that could outperform the 800-1000 euros intergrated amps of the mainstream companies.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
No UK supply yet judging by a quick look. I'd arguably look to Amazon first as they seem good as regards returns if necessary. The Taisham does fine in the second system, but this little box would be a technical step up, it's very basic and inexpensive and I'd love to try it in the main rig too as I have no need for fancier dacs with displays or balanced outs currently.

DuncanTodd

Try reading the review. ;)

>>>Note that you need to have a USB power supply even if you use non-USB input (it is the only source of power).<<<
I have read it, thanks. Was just making sure I'm understanding it right. Not like there seem to be any other option with just one USB port.

HappyMetalGuy

Thanks @amirm !

This provides basically the same performance of the PO100 AK I re-measured. (probably the same circuit around AK4493 chip). Except S.M.S.L finally seem to have fixed the FR.

This is now a fawless single-ended DAC, with the digital inputs needed. At this price (89€ for EU MSRP)... heck of a bargain!
80€ on amazon.de.

Philipp

No doubt that they wouldn't have planned to integrate MQA is this was designed only a few months later... ;)
… but maybe they want to ad some voodoo to the low-price-segment-portfolio.
Widening the target group ;-)

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Excellent for the price! A neat little device!

Lambda

Major Contributor
USB power
Optical / Toslink input
Minimal user interface /no display
Cheap

And excellent performance!

All most all i want!
it's only missing a balanced output ( i would pay ~50% extra for this))

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
A new benchmarking DAC performance for $79 USD!!! SMSL just threw down the gauntlet for excellence in engineering and design on a budget. Achieving SOTA music reproduction in your own home has never been this affordable. Finally high end trickle down to the entry level consumer. SOTA DAC at this price point is an incredible achievement by SMSL. Bravo Zulu SMSL.

Amir has lots of reasons to be proud of his work. Take stock in and how much influence Amir & the ASR Community has leveraged to encourage designers and engineers to make great audio products at affordable prices. What an amazing value this represents for the Audio loving new comer. The ASR effect is clearly gaining traction and Vendors/Manufacturers are paying attention.

Take a moment to celebrate this achievement/win. Our collective efforts are paying off and we can certainly take stock in this. :cool:. Our work/influence is not in vain.

Sokel

Master Contributor
What's up with the the strange FR's with SMSL?
Surely inaudible but surely extremely rare,I don't think we have seen it in other DACs.

Nice that has no visible screws at the front so it differentiates from the "DIY" look of the ones in this price range.

Thanks Amir!

Huang Jerry

Funny enough, me and a (very well off) friend of mine did a blind test between this+topping L30 and his DCS Bartok for fun, music being an eclectic selection between jazz, male vocals, symphony, death metal and garage tunes
Total of 12 tracks, using same DCA aeon flow
Me:
Prefer DCS Bartok: 4
Prefer SU-1: 6
Cannot decide: 2

My friend:
Prefer DCS Bartok: 3
Prefer SU-1: 5
Cannot decide: 4

Yeah, us cheapskates had it good nowadays. / Ha, rich people waste their money all the time.
depends on your perspective.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This DAC seems perfect for a TV setup, this along with a good class D amp that has a remote is all you really need.
No EQ is a problem IMO with just a DAC/Amp setup.
Could just use one of these instead, more expensive but does everything you'd need:

Philipp

No EQ is a problem IMO with just a DAC/Amp setup.
Pair it with the Fosi BT20A Pro, it has sufficient working tone control, should suffice for TV.

Top Bottom