• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

wasnotwasnotwas

I'm aware of all of them. They are good but I would still say that there is some room for improvement. Especially with strange FFT peaks of LA-QXD1 etc. I'm very curios what will upcoming models bring to the table.

There is always technical room for improvement. But they are all audibly transparent. As consumers we need to be careful not to focus too much on measurements past a certain point. Build , features etc are ultimately more important at this level of performance. If your current DAC goes bang you are spoilt for choice IMHO.

I think we all need to stop obsessing about strange peaks at a heady -130dB to -140dB

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It's not impossible to get a ground loop from balanced inputs but it's pretty damn hard to accomplish.
If it was that damn hard the 'pin 1 problem' wouldn't be common enough to have a name and there would have been no need to write AES-48 to tell people how easy it is to avoid ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
If it was that damn hard the 'pin 1 problem' wouldn't be common enough to have a name and there would have been no need to write AES-48 to tell people how easy it is to avoid ;)
Isn't that entirely a wiring issue though? But yes. That, and the common mode rejection inherent to balanced interconnects are two different things of course.

ayane

Forum Donor
Damn. I regret buying an SP200 earlier this year lol. Oh well. I needed the power anyway.

Lero

Damn. I regret buying an SP200 earlier this year lol. Oh well. I needed the power anyway.
Except balanced amps and some exotic singol endend i think this is one of the best in term of audible cleaness and power...
(Emotiva a-100 is a valid opponent)

YuruYuruCamp

Dang, I just started getting into audio stuff. I purchased a Sundara, Monolith thx aaa 887, and a Schiit Modius on Saturday. Then, i found out about this release Sunday night..
I got the Monolith for $350. Do you guys think it’s worth the $50 price difference in terms of end game use? Or should I return the 887 and purchase the new sh-9? I don’t know if this info is relevant, but I do hope to incorporate speakers into this system in the future, i just haven’t begun to research that yet.
Also, what is the “pass” on the back of the 887 used for? Do you put an eq in there? Could that increase the longterm versatility of the 887 over the sh-9?

Tks

Major Contributor
It's not impossible to get a ground loop from balanced inputs but it's pretty damn hard to accomplish.

I was asking if the fact that it was simply balanced input, was the factor that produced the reduction of ground loops. Sorry if I was unclear.

Dang, I just started getting into audio stuff. I purchased a Sundara, Monolith thx aaa 887, and a Schiit Modius on Saturday. Then, i found out about this release Sunday night..
I got the Monolith for $350. Do you guys think it’s worth the $50 price difference in terms of end game use? Or should I return the 887 and purchase the new sh-9? I don’t know if this info is relevant, but I do hope to incorporate speakers into this system in the future, i just haven’t begun to research that yet.
Also, what is the “pass” on the back of the 887 used for? Do you put an eq in there? Could that increase the longterm versatility of the 887 over the sh-9?

The 887 is killer, has what people would consider "balanced" for all intents and purposes. And also has higher power output along with 3 gain settings.

Audibility shouldn't be a concern for any of these devices. All that matters at that point are build and whatever pulls at your heart strings for whatever reason.

Veri

Master Contributor
I was asking if the fact that it was simply balanced input, was the factor that produced the reduction of ground loops.
Answer is decidedly "Yes". Balanced inputs rock :)

-The 789 and 887 are great amps. I would not worry one bit.
-The pass is just a passthrough for further upstream device. NO eq.

Tks

Major Contributor
Answer is decidedly "Yes". Balanced inputs rock :)

One final question. In terms of main's hum reduction. On a 789 or 887 etc.. The level of reduction is the same regardless if I use the 3.5mm out, or the 4 pin XLR-out? As long as I'm using something like the XLR-out of my RME DAC, simply balanced input is all that matters, and balanced out is useless (aside from power which I understand doubles, but this I don't care at all about).

Veri

Master Contributor
simply balanced input is all that matters, and balanced out is useless (aside from power which I understand doubles, but this I don't care at all about).
Yes. Balanced also has better crosstalk specifications generally, higher power output. But the (lack of) noise comes from the better balanced interconnect.

D

Deleted member 5035

No passthrough for my powered studio monitors... What do I have to do to get a setup with a decent DAC, and a headphone amp with one watt or more per channel, very low output impedance, perfect channel volume matching, and a volume controlled line out...

Top Bottom