• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

okok

In total we are most likely looking at:

16 Relays, 16 Flyback Diodes, 16 MOSFETs
32 SMD Resistors
+ maybe a separate 7812 for all the relays or something

let me tell you some shocking news....

the best pot is.. using r2r dac as volume chip, yes..
like mark levinson
the resistors within r2r chips are top notch

Labjr

Major Contributor
IMO this is only half of a product. Should have been totally balanced HPA with balanced pre out. Obviously, would have doubled most of the parts but that's what it would take for me to be interested.

wasnotwasnotwas

Yes, what I meant is that to keep both an speaker amp and a headphone amp connected in the same setup starting with SU -9 as DAC it would require one amp being connected to XLR out of the DAC and one to the RCA of the DAC. In my case I would keep the AHB2 on the XLR so this would leave RCA only for headphones amp use. Maybe they are about to come up with a PREAMP in the same series?

Ah yes, got you. this was my solution for one xlr dac, multiple xlr amps /head amps etc. But can't be simultaneous to both. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.17519/post-568658

XLR rear outs seem to exist in the price tier above this (A90 etc)

kn0ppers

let me tell you some shocking news....

the best pot is.. using r2r dac as volume chip, yes..

How do you know what are shocking news to me? A stepped attenuator is not a "better potentiometer", it is a stepped attenuator. They each have their benefits, their drawbacks and their place.

Labjr

Major Contributor
BTW Shenzen Audio web site description says: *Balanced Stereo Headphone Output?
So does picture on Apos?

Attachments

• SH9.jpg
    SH9.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 218

Veri

Master Contributor
BTW Shenzen Audio web site description says: *Balanced Stereo Headphone Output
So does picture on Apos?
It is a 4-pin balanced output part, yes. But it's wired to a single ended amplifier, as seen in the picture of the internals.

Tks

Major Contributor
Does this mean the Hegel amp reviewed a while back also isn't balanced?

The company specifically said they gated the output because it's pointlessly loud otherwise, and if you max your dac volume you can't really used the amp volume knob at all much.

If it gets rid of ground loops, and cross talk to some degree, that's balanced for me personally as it needs to be.

Also want to give props to the company for trying new things, always wanted this volume adjustment, but everytime I said it, people kept telling me "not enough steps" "it's only good for pre amps". Volume pots I've had on dedicated analogue only amps have all become scratchy garbage. So this is very much appreciated, as is the unconventional inclusion of a screen somehow.

I want it.

Labjr

Major Contributor
It is a 4-pin balanced output part, yes. But it's wired to a single ended amplifier, as seen in the picture of the internals.
Obviously, they're not doing a balanced attenuator with 8 relays.

Haskil

Forum Donor
Thank you Amir for this new test. Do you think that the fact that you receive the device directly from the manufacturer is a problem? Do you think they can send you a device that performs better than the products that will come to market? I ask you the question because on a French forum people more or less well-intentioned with regard to ASR left a doubt on this subject ... What do you think of this risk?

Merci Amir pour ce nouveau test. Pensez-vous que le fait que vous receviez l'appareil directement du fabricant soit un problème? Pensez-vous qu'ils pourront vous envoyer un appareil dont les performances sont meilleures que celles des produits qui seront mis sur le marché? Je vous pose la question car sur un forum français des personnes plus ou moins bien intentionnés à l'égard d'ASR ont laissé planer un doute à ce sujet ... Que pensez-vous de ce risque?

Veri

Master Contributor
Obviously, they're not doing a balanced attenuator with 8 relays.
If it's so obvious, what's your question exactly? Amir's review clearly states balanced 'output' has identical power to SE. It's not a differential amplifier nor attenuator from what it looks like..

Merci Amir pour ce nouveau test. Pensez-vous que le fait que vous receviez l'appareil directement du fabricant soit un problème ? Pensez-vous qu'ils puissent vous envoyer un appareil dont les performances sont meilleures que celles des produits qui seront mis sur le marché ? Je vous pose la question car sur un forum français des personnes plus ou moins bien intentionnées à l'égard d'ASR ont laissé planer un doute à ce sujet... Que pensez-vous de ce risque ?
Amir does not speak French.. but your question was investigated before https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...200-do-we-get-golden-samples-for-review.9673/

Haskil

Forum Donor
If it's so obvious, what's your question exactly? Amir's review clearly states balanced 'output' has identical power to SE. It's not a differential amplifier nor attenuator from what it looks like..

Amir does not speak French.. but your question was investigated before https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...200-do-we-get-golden-samples-for-review.9673/

I wrote in French and in English. But thank you ! Formidable ! I will be able to nail the beak of those who slander ...

Labjr

Major Contributor

Pointing out the misinformation on their web site.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you Amir for this new test. Do you think that the fact that you receive the device directly from the manufacturer is a problem?
My pleasure. No, this sample did not come from manufacturer. Shenzhenaudio is an online retailer who sent me this and many other products to test. While in theory it is possible they worked to get better samples to us, we are one degree removed from the company itself. My intuition does not currently point to them taking actions like this.

The benefit here is that we get to test samples earlier and don't incur shipping costs to review.

wasnotwasnotwas

That would be rare. Does any headphones come with XLR stock?

Let's be charitable and say the xlr is there for user convenience rather than to make a punter think, on a casual browse of the pictures, that the amp offers balanced output.

Top Bottom