• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

Veri

Master Contributor
My pleasure. No, this sample did not come from manufacturer. Shenzhenaudio is an online retailer who sent me this and many other products to test. While in theory it is possible they worked to get better samples to us, we are one degree removed from the company itself. My intuition does not currently point to them taking actions like this.

The benefit here is that we get to test samples earlier and don't incur shipping costs to review.
Not to mention you have measured not too stellar devices that were sent by ShenzhenAudio before, too ;)

escalibur

Nice to see SMSL joining the 'the end' amp game. They are bit late to the party, but it's still nice that they wanted to give it as shot.

Amp measurements are getting a bit boring now when pretty much every big player has it's own amp with excellent measurements. Currently it's more about extra features and estetics. :)

I'm still waiting for the same party regarding the sub $200 DACs. :)

Last edited:

Lero

One more little step, they are improving an already very very good amp. Now we have to wait for new lines of products.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I don't know if I'm missing something here, but why have an XLR output that's not balanced, and have XLR inputs? It seems like a marketing related hoax. At this power level I'd rather have an L30

Lero

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but why have an XLR output that's not balanced, and have XLR inputs? It seems like a marketing related hoax. At this power level I'd rather have an L30
Calm... its a single ended amplifier with so much power you probably wont benefit of a balanced amplification, it has balanced imputs for excellent performance incoming from a balanced dac and an xlr non balanced output for headphone that have this kind of connector. Remember balanced amplifier/balanced output doesen't mean in any way a better signal nor better power performance, it dependens from an amp to another.
This amp is "less clean" than a l30 but its more powerful and offer double input option so its not market, its features.

Last edited:

deafenears

Forum Donor
Last edited:

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Calm... its a single ended amplifier with so much power you probably wont benefit of a balanced amplification, it has balanced imputs for excellent performance incoming from a balanced dac and an xlr non balanced output for headphone that have this kind of connector. Remember balanced amplifier/balanced output doesen't mean in any way a better signal nor better power performance, it dependens from an amp to another.
This amp is "less clean" than a l30 but its more powerful and offer double input option so its not market, its features.
I don't like it and would not buy it

PeteL

Major Contributor
One have nothing to do with the other. Balanced line level in is what matters, it serves the purpose of common mode noise rejection and getting rid of any ground loop/hums. Balanced headphones output just add more voltage to an already powerful amp.

David_M

Quick question here ... I've noticed in various magazines over the years having HP amplifiers outputting 50mV into 600 ohm loads. The power across this load is about 4.2uW (or -54dBW /-24dBm) which is almost, if not outright inaudible and might as well be complete silence. So why make this measurement to gauge the performance of a HP amp? It seems wasteful to me...

Tks

Major Contributor
One have nothing to do with the other. Balanced line level in is what matters, it serves the purpose of common mode noise rejection and getting rid of any ground loop/hums. Balanced headphones output just add more voltage to an already powerful amp.

Really? So all amps that have balanced input, eliminate group loops?

escalibur

Sorry? The SP200 was reviewed over a year ago so I wouldn't say that they're late to the party - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-smsl-sp200-thx-hp-amp.9242/
SP200 was/is good but quality control and random volume issues were it's biggest cons. I really hope that this time SH-9 has much better quality control.

You want more features for sub $200 dacs? Or better performance? Because we are already there for the latter.
I would like to see either options. We need more competition around Topping E30 and D10s. :)

wasnotwasnotwas

SP200 was/is good but quality control and random volume issues were it's biggest cons. I really hope that this time SH-9 has much better quality control.

I would like to see either options. We need more competition around Topping E30 and D10s. :)

Schiit do sub $200, SMSL has done a few before the SU9 sister DAC to this amp. Soncoz has one. Plenty of choice but its a tough market

escalibur

escalibur

Schiit do sub $200, SMSL has done a few before the SU9 sister DAC to this amp. Soncoz has one. Plenty of choice but its a tough market
I'm aware of all of them. They are good but I would still say that there is some room for improvement. Especially with strange FFT peaks of LA-QXD1 etc. I'm very curios what will upcoming models bring to the table.

Top Bottom