• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

Lero

No passthrough for my powered studio monitors... What do I have to do to get a setup with a decent DAC, and a headphone amp with one watt or more per channel, very low output impedance, perfect channel volume matching, and a volume controlled line out...
I suggest to buy a dac with xlr AND rca, soncoz la-qxd1 or smsl m200 both under 300 , for the amp smsl sh9 or sp200 (past 9oclock volume is perfect) or topping l30.

Guacamolly

No passthrough for my powered studio monitors... What do I have to do to get a setup with a decent DAC, and a headphone amp with one watt or more per channel, very low output impedance, perfect channel volume matching, and a volume controlled line out...
You can buy this item :
Nobsound 1-IN-3-OUT XLR Audio Switch
To use with your powered monitors then you switch to the Headphone Amp when you need it.
Dac -> Switch -> Monitors // Amp

manishex

how is the performance of 2v in, does power out change? Will get this or the gustard h16 soon. The sp400 will probably be this + preamp which I don't need.

Is low gain 0db gain?

edit: Gain:Low(+0dB), High(+10dB)

Last edited:

wrigglycheese

They are in fact quite similar, but SH-9 has better noise performance and much better volume control, at the cost of lower maximum output.

Thanks I really appreciate the info.

Is it much less output ? I prefer to use my amps on low gain and I'm driving the T50rp and 600OHM DT990. I also use EQ APO so I like the headroom....

...And hate turning my amps volume knob up to 3 o'clock lol if I have to take an AMP past 1 o'clock I get weirdly upset lol Well, I certainly would when paying over £250 anyway

I had a Fiio K5 Pro which tbh was a lovely little thing but didn't have quite enough juice for my personal feeling - yes it was loud enough of course but - HEADROOM ;D

Last edited:

boselover61

This or the monoprice thx 887? Also would soncoz balanced dac at $199 be a good pairing with this?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Anyone seen photos of the insides of this thing?

I can't find any on Google.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Got my SH-9

It's so good. Wow.
Goodbye channel imbalance anxieties and worrying I was way under 10 o'clock knob position on lowest gain.

Very happy .
Great job @SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu

Music1969

Major Contributor
Sp-400 touted to be released this week according to their fb page

More power? And proper balanced headphone output?

I definitely don't need more power - the insides of my skull are already vibrating enough (and there's not much in there!)

manishex

More power? And proper balanced headphone output?

I definitely don't need more power - the insides of my skull are already vibrating enough (and there's not much in there!)

LOL I wouldn't touch high gain with most amps, headphones don't necessarily need lots of power.

manishex

These aren't power amps are they?
I find low gain, even unbalanced for most amps have enough juice for most hard to drive planars.
When you start going 4v+ with more than 1 watt, the sound does get large and pushed out but its weird and too much treble emphasis making it thin. For example a90 high gain is not attractive sounding at all to me.

Also at higher power you're using less of the volume pot which is more noisy?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I find low gain, even unbalanced for most amps have enough juice for most hard to drive planars.
When you start going 4v+ with more than 1 watt, the sound does get large and pushed out but its weird and too much treble emphasis making it thin. For example a90 high gain is not attractive sounding at all to me.

I agree for the most part, however your assumption only goes up for non eq"ued headphones.
Once you start eq'ing there is always a negative amp gain involved, you loose that on the amp side. Headphones with an negative eq of -8 dB of higher are not that uncommon. I have a few headphones i need to drive in high gain setting on the Topping A90. (also because i'm compensating for hearing loss on my right side, thus some negative gain setting can easily reach -12 dB or higher).

manishex

Sp400 on presale $630 rrp, black Friday = $541

No description on the amp itself, looks like a sh-9 with pre out for double the price.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Gain is just higher max voltage output. When you don't need the extra loudness you definitely don't need higher gain. And the reason you can enjoy the planars is because A90 has the power and performance regardless of the gain setting. Gain setting doesn't give you higher power it's just volume the amplification circuit itself does.

Top Bottom