• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC Review

DSJR

Major Contributor
If someone did a blind level matched comparison between the Mk III and SU1 (so you couldn't see th eboxes), would you really 'hear' let alone notice a difference between them?

I ask from the point of view that the dac would be hidden (no need for a display) and usually used on one input only (optical toslink from the nearby PC).

Veri

Master Contributor
If someone did a blind level matched comparison between the Mk III and SU1 (so you couldn't see th eboxes), would you really 'hear' let alone notice a difference between them?
:) That is the question.

tbob22

:) That is the question.
I think it's probably because when changing out hardware you expect to hear a difference. I would bet that you could use the same system several times in a double blind test and if the subjects are told that something had changed they would find something different.

tbob22

After a bit of (re)EQ response is looking pretty decent in the office. Have an SU-1 on the way to decide if the Sanskrit is worth the extra or not.

1695854734812.png

tbob22

The SU-1 does measure slightly differently, mostly in volume, but there were some trends as well - the SU1 had very slightly higher treble and slightly lower midrange across all the measurements. I went back and forth between each one simply unplugging the RCA's and switching to the other unit in REW - I did this 6 times for each to make sure I was getting consistent measurements. Nothing else changed. Both set to 32bit/48khz.

Whether any of this will be noticeable in listening I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if just adjusting the volume slightly on the SU-1 would even things out a bit, I just didn't want to introduce volume changes in the quick test.

Here is a zoomed in view to really show the differences. Upper lines are the MkII.
1696111376238.png

And If I align SPL and average the responses for each:

1696112073982.png

Last edited:

tbob22

After some listening, switching back forth, and other than the volume difference I can't say there is any notable difference between the two. They both sound miles better in every way compared to the integrated audio on my PC. I switched between the two so many times I forgot which one I was listening to and though I was listening to the MKII while I was actually listening to the SU-1 and vice versa.

If I don't change the volume I do prefer the MKII as it's noticeably louder. But if I lower the volume on the MKII to -1 they sound extremely similar as one would expect. I very much doubt anyone could tell a difference in a blind test as long as they are level matched.

tbob22

I didn't keep the MkII at the price - but I picked up a MK3 for $60. I'd say that's a solid price just to have one around.

Gabb

I have been reading the forum with great satisfaction until now, but now for help. I also bought SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II. I connected a power supply in usb. The power supply failed and the dac failed. A mechanic friend of mine found that the ic in the middle of the picture was broken. The ic tag has been removed. What type of ic can this be? Thanks in advance!

received_700900882253146.jpg

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have been reading the forum with great satisfaction until now, but now for help. I also bought SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II. I connected a power supply in usb. The power supply failed and the dac failed. A mechanic friend of mine found that the ic in the middle of the picture was broken. The ic tag has been removed. What type of ic can this be? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 352345
Looks like it is one of the chips that manages power because its traces go to the capacitor. However I doubt you will be able to replace it unless you find the exact model.

Gabb

Yes, I need the exact model.
Please let me know if you have information.

Apexplus

I have been an happy user of this DAC for the last 2 years till recently. The problem is that music would suddenly stop or it simply won't start unless I manually switch around the input channels (by pressing the remote) a few times. I tried to debug and couldn't find the cause of such sympton.
Do any1 of you experience the same problem and any fix for it?

Toku

Major Contributor
I have been an happy user of this DAC for the last 2 years till recently. The problem is that music would suddenly stop or it simply won't start unless I manually switch around the input channels (by pressing the remote) a few times. I tried to debug and couldn't find the cause of such sympton.
Do any1 of you experience the same problem and any fix for it?
Have there been any changes to the PC you are connecting to recently? From the symptoms, it seems that the PC's USB connection is disconnected. I suspect that the cause is the settings on the PC side.

Apexplus

Have there been any changes to the PC you are connecting to recently? From the symptoms, it seems that the PC's USB connection is disconnected. I suspect that the cause is the settings on the PC side.
thanks for the quick responese.
I have my DAC connected to an iPad. When I swapped the DAC to another one (iFi) there is no such problem.
I suspect there is some kinda faulty USB connection inside the DAC? But I am not an expert in DIY...

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning
another option could be to use a usb to spdif converter with both optical and coaxial outs
using optical there will be also electrical isolation of the dac from the pc

Apexplus

I contacted the manufacturer and they told me to reset the unit and see if the problem goes away — like most things in life…
So let’s wait n see if resetting helps…

Last edited:
Top Bottom