• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC Review

rupert3k

Considering the mkiii for my modest desktop setup (planning to hook it up to the USB port on my PC). Will an auxiliary power supply make a big difference compared to the standard USB port at the bottom? Is it possible to use both? Which power supply can you guys recommend?
didn't notice any difference either, regardless I use a small iPhone charger don't ask me why

Quick question, does anyone know what USB standard this uses? I am looking for a UAC1 dac (for ps5...). AFAIK only the modern dacs that do UAC1 are the JDS dacs, but in EU those are quite expensive I think (and possible warranty problems will be a hassle with USA buys).

This DAC looks like the obvious buy for a cheap desk dac/amp setup, no? Even cheaper than the E30.
Fiio K3 does! the 2021 version specifically

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
would it be reasonable to assume a mk3 is just a mk2 w/ type -c?

there's not a great deal of change in the board except the ports?

also looks like nichicon caps

imo the price is getting up there for a 4493 implementation?

chatnever

there's not a great deal of change in the board except the ports?

also looks like nichicon caps

imo the price is getting up there for a 4493 implementation?
As previous reviews has pointed out, the improvements are minimal, but in every aspect, from the lows to highs, and sound stage + more filters.

I was able to get one for 79$ on offical SMSL Taobao store (9-Sept sale), still waiting for it.

musiclover70s80s

From the pictures you can see that there is a USB type A (it’s good that it’s not a micro USB)
----------------
I watched the video, yes, there is type-C

Last edited:

tbob22

Any reason to go with the MK III at about 30% more? I find this one to be quite nice. I tried all the filters and #5 sounds the best to me on my Diamond 10.1's and SMSL SA-50, the differences are pretty minor between them though.

Toku

Major Contributor
Any reason to go with the MK III at about 30% more? I find this one to be quite nice. I tried all the filters and #5 sounds the best to me on my Diamond 10.1's and SMSL SA-50, the differences are pretty minor between them though.
I think the technology of recent DACs has moved quickly and I can clearly see the difference between old and new models.
In my experience, I changed from Topping E30 to E30 ll and was impressed with the progress made.
I think I can recommend replacing Sanskrit 10th MKII with MK lll because the price is cheap.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the reason this is cheap is because its 3yrs old and EOL

if the micro usb does not bother you then save your money

i'd almost guarantee the boards are largely idenitcal except for the obvious

however this unit faces stiff competition from its own cousins the c100 su1 etc.

Veri

Master Contributor
I think the technology of recent DACs has moved quickly and I can clearly see the difference between old and new models.
I also see the difference..
:D

tbob22

the reason this is cheap is because its 3yrs old and EOL

if the micro usb does not bother you then save your money

i'd almost guarantee the boards are largely idenitcal except for the obvious

however this unit faces stiff competition from its own cousins the c100 su1 etc.
Yeah, maybe I'll grab the SU1 and see if I can notice any difference. If not I'll return the more expensive one. :)

I feel like the limiting factor is going to be the amp which is pretty old at this point, I recently discontinued using an old Auzentech sound card due to driver issues, etc. and switched to the MSI X299 Pro onboard audio - there was a noticeable downgrade there. With the MK II I feel like it sounds at least as good as the Auzentech did.

gizmo90

Sanskrit mkii is more pleasing listen then the su1. The su1 sounds like an onkyo c7030. Sanskrit sounds like a marantz cd5005
su-1 is fatiguing Sanskrit is smooth.

sending su1 back. will be getting mkiii

i found MKII more enjoyable/fun then the more clinical sounding d1se2. crazy huh?

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the sanskrit mkii since it was released and it sounds like any other DAC that measures well

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah i wouldnt go that far

i think that a 3yr old dac with 115dB and this kind of resolving power means that in the real world these dacs are so good we dont need to buy expensive $200+ units

most of us would be fine with the performance of the Sans Mk2

i'm using my $1,500 digital preamp, the C100 M300 and even the PS100 and they all perform to a level that exceeds my ability to pass an dbx on them.

For some reason the SU-1 always cops in the neck from a lot of people and I doubt that reflects reality.

Veri

Master Contributor
Care to elaborate? Are you just being sarcastic?
I'm being sarcastic. It's a very old argument, hearing all of these fatiguing/smooth/clinical characteristics in a "revealing" system. And that those that don't have a clue as to hearing those attributes comparing proper good, volume matched sources, don't have a "revealing" system like you. Something like that right?

gizmo90

I'm being sarcastic. It's a very old argument, hearing all of these fatiguing/smooth/clinical characteristics in a "revealing" system. And that those that don't have a clue as to hearing those attributes comparing proper good, volume matched sources, don't have a "revealing" system like you. Something like that right?
Arent you a peach. Thanks for setting the record straight.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your system seems quite relieving too. That's awesome.
It measures pretty well in my room but the urge to upgrade to better speakers or getting more subs for smoother bass is always there :)

chatnever

Sanskrit mkii is more pleasing listen then the su1. The su1 sounds like an onkyo c7030. Sanskrit sounds like a marantz cd5005
su-1 is fatiguing Sanskrit is smooth.

sending su1 back. will be getting mkiii

i found MKII more enjoyable/fun then the more clinical sounding d1se2. crazy huh?
You might think again. I’ve just received my MKIII.
The overall sound of the MKIII is very similar to the SU1.

I think the MKIII is one of the best DACs I’ve ever heard (I’ve never listened to any DAC above 1000 though).

It is very musical, yet maintains accurate soundstage, clarity, and the sweetness of vocal. Listening to some pop songs, I could clearly feel the bass hit, and some instruments I couldn’t hear in the previous DAC.
However, due to being a transparent DAC, occasionally I could hear hissing, piercing vocal/instrument, especially listening to Metallica’s latest album. It is more refined in the MKIII than in the SU1.

So if you want a smooth sound, the MKIII could probably be smooth, but it is more like detailed-smooth, than purely smooth sounding (you also have 6 filters to experiment with).

Top Bottom