• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

Blew

Hi all,

I have a very annoying problem when listening to my M500 v1 via USB to a Windows 10 laptop. Every now and then the music stutters and pauses and makes listening to music very irritating.

When I run LatencyMon I get the message saying that the system is having trouble playing real time audio and mentions ACPI.sys or Wdf01000.sys being the possible culprits. I've tried the suggestions but still have the issue.

Conclusion: Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

I'm using the latest XMOS driver 5.30 fromthe SMSL website. I've played with ASIO buffer sizes in the XMOS Driver Control Panel but it happens even with the maximum 2048 samples selected. The problem occurs in Foobar2000 using WASAPI event/WASAPI push/ASIO, and in Tidal exclusive mode. Changing buffer sizes in Foobar2000 doesn't resolve it either (although I do get pops and clicks when the buffer is at default). I've tried two different USB cables, both have the same issue. I've also set performance modes in the BIOS and Windows 10 power settings to maximum power to avoid possible CPU throttling.

This was also happening on my other Windows 10 laptop, but to a lesser degree, so it doesn't appear to be something specific to the laptop. Both have the XMOS drivers installed though, so I wonder if it is a XMOS driver issue.

My M500 is hardware v1.3, software v1.6, 2020-3-2 date, and USB rev 2.06.

Has anyone else had similar issues and have any advice?

bobby1945

G'Day mate
I have similar configuration, but running Widows server 2019 Essentials.
Total services running 81 as defined in Task Manager - Must get services and background apps to a minimum to reduce cpu load
I assume you are streaming ? I can still get stuttering if Ethernet and Wi-Fi are both enabled . So in my case I always disable Wi-Fi.
Do a complete De Bloat of windows 10
Remove Edge and ensure windows up dates is disabled
ASIO version 5.3

AO3 + Fidelizer Pro + HQPlayer streaming via ROON - Tidal and Qobuz

32bit

Every now and then the music stutters and pauses and makes listening to music very irritating.
Hi Blew and bobby1945 !
I don’t know the details, but once I had such a strange problem: the sound became intermittent and completely unbearable. This was caused by the Qobuz client for Windows - my USB playback was completely broken. I uninstalled Qobuz and tried different ways to restore playback but without success. The only solution that worked was restoring the system from a backup to a date prior to installing Qobuz. To test this hypothesis, I installed Qobuz again and immediately ran into the same problem.
So, you can try the solutions suggested above by Veri or remember when the problem occurred and what preceded it.

alpha_logic

This was also happening on my other Windows 10 laptop, but to a lesser degree, so it doesn't appear to be something specific to the laptop. Both have the XMOS drivers installed though, so I wonder if it is a XMOS driver issue.
What you're describing there sounds like the classic network client buffer under-run. Dead giveaway would be the fact that both your laptop, and your desktop are showing the same problem, which usually means that the problem source is upstream from those devices. Does this happen with content streamed/played over the network, or does it also happen with files that are located on the local host's filesystem?

Blew

What you're describing there sounds like the classic network client buffer under-run. Dead giveaway would be the fact that both your laptop, and your desktop are showing the same problem, which usually means that the problem source is upstream from those devices. Does this happen with content streamed/played over the network, or does it also happen with files that are located on the local host's filesystem?
Thanks @alpha_logic, @32bit ,@Veri , @bobby1945 , I may have resolve it now, but am still testing to be sure. For the record I tried many solutions including the https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...os-driver-settings-for-no-cutoff-delay.25838/ suggested above, increasing the priority of the Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder processes, assigning processor affinity to those to move them away from the lower cores often used by other Windows services, increasing audio buffer sizes in Foobar2000 to various sizes, using Wifi and different ethernet dongles, and of course increasing processor performance in Windows power management settings and the BIOS. It also happened just as often in Tidal, which has none of those settings to configure.

Then I discovered that this can be caused by the idiotic Lenovo power management service "Lenovo Notebook ITS Service" that appears to operate independantly of the Windows and BIOS power settings. Disabling this substantially improved the problem, but not entirely.

The DPC latency then shifted from ACPI.sys to Wdf01000.sys being the cause. I now suspect that this issue is due to the "Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service" which I only identified the other day. Since disabling it I haven't had the problem recur, but am still testing with great apprehension. I haven't been able to spend a lot of time testing yet but will report back on any further developments.

chadsch

hi huys. im new here and just bought the m500mkii. Looks like imight have stepped in something. I have made zero modifications. any advice on next steps for me? only info i see on it is when i hit the reset it says sw version 1.0 thats it. do i need to go in through the computer to get more info?
i have lightly read through a couple of these threads but dont have time to sift through all this. if maybe someone could link me to the right direction, i can probably take it from there. I'm not scared of homework, i would just like a shove in the right direction.

foxxx0

Forum Donor
what do you think you stepped into?
what are you trying to solve?

if you are referring to the 3rd harmonics issue, this should not be present in any of the mk2 versions, only the very first hardware batches of the initial m500 (non v2 and definetely non mk2, the latter has different inputs and is thus easily distinguishable).

chadsch

im more worried about the usb xmos debacle... or does that not apply to the mkii? that would be grteat news if it doesn't and i was just mistaken about what i had read. if indeed that i WAS mistaken, then all is well and i love the mkii. i just want to ensure ill have it for a number of years. someone told me there were bugs with it and to come here. Maybe they tjhought i had thre original m500 i dont know but thanks for the quick reply. i like this place already

bobby1945

I have the old M500 and am locked out in being able to up date the firmware
I came across this procedure that may allow updates for the older M500 -But I am not confident that it will not brick the DAC.
Any comments on this?

chadsch

If you are having problems with it, then you might try the flash, but if you aren't, i would leave it alone rather than take the chance. I like the old saying "dont fix it if it isnt broke"
The other side of that coin is, if it doesnt work for you now, then what have you got to lose?

Mark K

Just become a proud owner of M500 v1. Browsing their home page I found zero information about firmware update.

Toku

Major Contributor
Just become a proud owner of M500 v1. Browsing their home page I found zero information about firmware update.
The final version of the M500 V1 firmware is V1.08.
You can check the version on the ASIO driver's Xmos USB DAC Driver Control Panel. It is not the Ver displayed on the M500 display.
Some M500 V1s cannot update the firmware normally depending on the production lot. If you are not experiencing any issues at this time, please do not update the FW. If the update fails, a fatal failure will occur.
The firmware update file could be downloaded from HP for a certain period of time, but then it was deleted. The M500 V1 file has not been deleted from the Shinsen Audio download site.
There is FW V2.01 for M500 V2, but this cannot be used for M500 V1.
I have a file previously downloaded from SMSL's HP stored on my PC, so I will attach it.

Attachments

• M500 1.08 USB firmware.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 128

Mark K

Thank you
My unit has a flickering LCD screen but as I reached out to the seller, they are very reluctant to sell me a new screen

Dmaumau

Hi guys,

First of all I would like to thank @SMSL-Mandy for all the support and for sending me the programming tool to solve the problem with my M500.

The instructions are very clear and the process went without hickups.

The only thing to mention is that I could not flash the M500 using my Windows 11 PC.

I received the message that the file could not download to the M500 several times.

Switched to another PC with Windows 10 and it worked the first time.

I´ll be more then happy to help with the process should anyone need.

Sem título.png

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

First of all I would like to thank @SMSL-Mandy for all the support and for sending me the programming tool to solve the problem with my M500.

The instructions are very clear and the process went without hickups.

The only thing to mention is that I could not flash the M500 using my Windows 11 PC.

I received the message that the file could not download to the M500 several times.

Switched to another PC with Windows 10 and it worked the first time.

I´ll be more then happy to help with the process should anyone need.

View attachment 204742
Are you in the US?

GratefulDAC

I am strongly considering buying this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X287BXC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?smid=A3DLIZX4T1QPH&th=1
It is a refurbished version 1 from SMSL. I assumed it is a malfunctioning unit that the upgraded the firmware on and are reselling it. I asked if the firmware was up to date and this is the response I received:
Hello Mario,
Glad to see your reply.
The firmware for the M500 is now all up-to-date. But to your disappointment there is no radiator. Any purchase of our products you can have a one-year warranty period. We welcome your return and exchange at any time. Hope our answer is helpful to you.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Thank you.
Best Regards,
S.M.S.L

Is it safe to buy this? I thought one o f trhe problems was a lack of heat-sink, which this does not have. I am worried about what I have read about it perfoming poorly when it overheats or when it warms up. I am also considering the SU-9n and D300. I was just going to buy those and maybe a Topping 10 balanced and compare them. I am buying the TOpping 10 to see if there is a discernable difference when paying more. The D300 intrigues me with the new chip and reviews so I want see if there is truth to the raving reviews. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am strongly considering buying this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X287BXC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?smid=A3DLIZX4T1QPH&th=1
It is a refurbished version 1 from SMSL. I assumed it is a malfunctioning unit that the upgraded the firmware on and are reselling it. I asked if the firmware was up to date and this is the response I received:
Hello Mario,
Glad to see your reply.
The firmware for the M500 is now all up-to-date. But to your disappointment there is no radiator. Any purchase of our products you can have a one-year warranty period. We welcome your return and exchange at any time. Hope our answer is helpful to you.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Thank you.
Best Regards,
S.M.S.L

Is it safe to buy this? I thought one o f trhe problems was a lack of heat-sink, which this does not have. I am worried about what I have read about it perfoming poorly when it overheats or when it warms up. I am also considering the SU-9n and D300. I was just going to buy those and maybe a Topping 10 balanced and compare them. I am buying the TOpping 10 to see if there is a discernable difference when paying more. The D300 intrigues me with the new chip and reviews so I want see if there is truth to the raving reviews. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Spend the $140 more and get the Mark 2 for peace of mind

Top Bottom