• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

Roddy

if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Sound advice. Also, can you turn the screen off while keeping the device on? Given its backlight and poor black levels, I'm going to guess that it's an LCD.

Jokerr

October 19th today.
I received SMSL M500 today from Shenzenaudio. I am in the UK.

SOFTWARE 1.7 / HARDWARE 1.3.

Originally I connected via USB to my Nvidia Shield to listen to Netflix/Prime when watching TV. Sounded very sharp and bright.

Now trying into my Mac listening to TIDAL HIFI.

any settings in filters to make it sound warmer/darker?. I use Focal Clear headphones.

Oklei

Forum Donor
any settings in filters to make it sound warmer/darker?. I use Focal Clear headphones.
If you're younger than 30 you can tame the very high frequencies with the hybrid filter. It starts to roll off at 18kHz. If you're older you probably won't be able to hear frequencies that high anyway. In this case a parametric equalizer in your player software could be a solution.

Jokerr

If you're younger than 30 you can tame the very high frequencies with the hybrid filter. It starts to roll off at 18kHz. If you're older you probably won't be able to hear frequencies that high anyway. In this case a parametric equalizer in your player software could be a solution.
Thank you. Which Filters you suggest to Tame higher frequencies?

Oklei

Forum Donor

Attachments

• SMSL M500 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Filter Response Audio Measurements.png
    SMSL M500 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Filter Response Audio Measurements.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 659

Jokerr

Why have we got these filters if they only for white noise? Very misleading right. People will assume that they are designed to tune the sound?

Jokerr

Impressed with power in this M500. Drives my Focal Clear very well.

does the sound change at all after a few hours run time?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why have we got these filters if they only for white noise? Very misleading right. People will assume that they are designed to tune the sound?

The graphs are for white noise. Bottom line, dont use DAC filters to try and "tame" headphones. Likewise, dont try and buy DACs/ amps that will do that either. Look into EQ- plenty of threads here or elsewhere as pointers.

You may also be listening too loud. The Clear are very, err, clear but I find they are too easy to push higher than comfortable levels without realising. Go to your normal position on the amp without putting the 'phones on your ears, turn it down 2 or 3 positions, put on the headphones and just listen for half an hour and dont be tempted to increase until at least 2 or 3 tracks have played and try and resist full stop.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressed with power in this M500. Drives my Focal Clear very well.

does the sound change at all after a few hours run time?

No , but your ears and brain do.

bobby1945

I am still awaiting SMSL provide a solution to their abysmal support of this product .
Chi-Fi Never again

Veri

Master Contributor
No no, what Amir measured is just one measurement. I'm saying the frequency response will look different to the white noise FFT. You need to read/interpret it right, is all. The filters themselves work as intended.

Jokerr

A warning here. Don’t buy it from Shenzenaudio unless you live in China. They don’t honour returns Unless you pay to send it to China which is expensive.

Jokerr

Ok so did a comparison here.

set up 1:
Tidal HIFI MQA Albums>>.iPadPro>>>Audioquest Cobalt>>>Focal Clear headphones.

set up 2:
Tidal HIFI MQA Albums>>.Apple iMac Computer>>>SMSL M500>>>Focal Clear headphones.

keeping it short here. I am very disappointed in SMSL M500. Compared to set up 1 above it sounds harsh, edgy, too sharp. Not a relaxing sound and just very bad. I want Shenzenaudio to collect it, but they are being difficult about it.

Veri

Master Contributor

set up 1:

set up 2:
Tidal HIFI MQA Albums>>.Apple iMac Computer>>>SMSL M500>>>Focal Clear headphones.

keeping it short here. I am very disappointed in SMSL M500. Compared to set up 1 above it sounds harsh, edgy, too sharp. Not a relaxing sound and just very bad. I want Shenzenaudio to collect it, but they are being difficult about it.
Cobalt isn't that good on paper though
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/objective-audioquest-dragonfly-cobalt-review-r832/

If you like the Cobalt and can return the M500 if you dislike it, look into E1DA 9038d, it's like a "super" dragonfly Cobalt.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cobalt isn't that good on paper though
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/objective-audioquest-dragonfly-cobalt-review-r832/

If you like the Cobalt and can return the M500 if you dislike it, look into E1DA 9038d, it's like a "super" dragonfly Cobalt.

The Clear's really dont need much power, I would suggest if @Jokerr is happy with the Cobalt driving them (which we know isnt objectively that great) he leaves it at that. The 9038d (based on everything Ivan has shown and said- mine isnt yet in my hands!) will be similarly clean and possibly perceived as sharp, edgy etc like the M500.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

set up 1:

set up 2:

I have just plugged my Clears into the M500 and turned all EQ etc off. Just out of interest, what kind of volume setting did you have the M500 at?

Jokerr

I have just plugged my Clears into the M500 and turned all EQ etc off. Just out of interest, what kind of volume setting did you have the M500 at?
My volume was between 12 to 19.
I didn’t know you can turn the filters off?

anyway tried all the filters and couldn’t hear a difference.

Top Bottom