• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

Oklei

Forum Donor
What's the DPLL setting? Default value is 7.
The M500 oscillator has to lock on the clock signal of the source (for example toslink). This is realized in the DAC by a digital phase-locked loop (DPLL). In the first edition of the M500 the lock-in range (bandwidth) was fixed. This lead to problems with some cheaper (too jittery) Toslink outputs of TVs. M500 lost the lock-in and periods were skipped leading to an audio artefact. To solve this problem there is now this option in the menu. If you have a good source (stable clock - low jitter) you can lower this value. If you experience problems (drop outs) you can increase the value.

Last edited:

shinewu

I can confirm the windows driver listed on SMSL official site for M500 is really helpful. It does solve the volume issue! And occasional hiccups in music seem to be gone. But as someone has pointed out in this thread before, it is an older version at 4.67.0.

urfaust

The M500 oscillator has to lock on the clock signal of the source (for example toslink). This is realized in the DAC by a digital phase-locked loop (DPLL). In the first edition of the M500 the lock-in range (bandwidth) was fixed. This lead to problems with some cheaper (too jittery) Toslink outputs of TVs. M500 lost the lock-in and periods were skipped leading to an audio artefact. To solve this problem there is now this option in the menu. If you have a good source (stable clock - low jitter) you can lower this value. If you experience problems (drop outs) you can increase the value.
Thanks for the explanation, when using toslink on tv for it indeed managed to sort out the occasionnal interruptions but it seems this setting is for all inputs, same for the filter option which bothers me a little.

On another note, i was wondering what level you guys are using normally with the headphone output, i can't get over 15-20 on iem's with windows volume at 100. I always wonder what's preferable, lower win level and raise the hp output or the other way (i mean outside of asio-able apps). On the review measurements it looks a tad better at mid power (200-250mW). Likely not audible difference but just for the sake or argument and curiosity i understand 4V should be around level 34, or 36 just above like in the review, but what about the headphone output's level?

bobby1945

An opinion would be valued for a modification to the USB cable between the streamer/laptop and the USB input on the M500.
The tweak involves the cutting of the 5v cable inside the USB connecting cable.
Apparently the DAC does not require voltage from the streamer/laptop for the DAC to function-It has its own independent supply.
The benefit of cutting the 5v wire , is to isolate any noise (significant) from the source
Any comments?

Oklei

Forum Donor
The tweak involves the cutting of the 5v cable inside the USB connecting cable.
Apparently the DAC does not require voltage from the streamer/laptop for the DAC to function-It has its own independent supply.
The benefit of cutting the 5v wire , is to isolate any noise (significant) from the source
AFAIK all xmos devices need usb 5V for input detection. If you are going to cut the power line you'd have to attach a (small current, clean power) 5V to it.

Ottacat

New owner here. I purchased it from Amazon in Canada. Received software V1.6 and hardware V1.3, 2020-3-2. From my readings this is current. Also, there are no more downloadable firmware updates on the SMSL support website so if the OP is still around then the first post should be updated.

Love the unit. I did very close listening tests between the built-in amp and using the M500 as a DAC / preamp and then going to an SMSL SP200. While I'm sure many audiophiles would hear a universe of difference, I couldn't. I have Audeze LCD-2's and I found the built-in amp to have tons of power (loud volume at 30). For me this is all I need. The SP200 can now be used elsewhere. I would have chosen the M200 but I do like MQA but not enough to jump all the way up the M400.

To me this unit really flies under the radar. I think there are only two credible YouTube reviews. SMSL really should send it out to more reviewers if they want more sales. However I guess the SP200/M200 or SP200/M400 are more profitable. From my perspective though, as long as the amp can power your headphones and MQA is worth it to you, this is an ideal unit.

Veri

Master Contributor
To me this unit really flies under the radar. I think there are only two credible YouTube reviews. SMSL really should send it out to more reviewers if they want more sales. However I guess the SP200/M200 or SP200/M400 are more profitable. From my perspective though, as long as the amp can power your headphones and MQA is worth it to you, this is an ideal unit.
Definitely went under the radar. The most current version is super competitive with the likes of DX7/Sabaj D5 combo units.
See here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ame-gives-rise-to-courage-smsl-m500-v2.13674/

Oklei

Forum Donor
I purchased it from Amazon in Canada. Received software V1.6 and hardware V1.3, 2020-3-2. From my readings this is current.
Most recent is sw v1.7 hw v1.3 2020-05-30 afaik. I don't know what exactly changed between 1.6 and 1.7 but if you didn't run into any problems all is fine.

I also think the headphone amp is powerful enough for most people. If your headphones are 300Ohm impedance and 100dB/mW efficient, you'll get brain shaking 115dB SPL with only 31 mW power. And the M500 is twice as much. So as long as you don't have exotic high impedance low efficiency phones the m500 is more than sufficient.

Ottacat

Most recent is sw v1.7 hw v1.3 2020-05-30 afaik. I don't know what exactly changed between 1.6 and 1.7 but if you didn't run into any problems all is fine.

Good to know, all the same, thanks.

somy

Hi anybody managed to compare M500 vs m400? M400 measures slightly better but double the price, is it worthwhile?

Ottacat

Hi anybody managed to compare M500 vs m400? M400 measures slightly better but double the price, is it worthwhile?

I'd love to read such a comparison. I can't wrap my head around paying over twice the price while also losing the built-in amp of the M500. I know the form factor is obviously different so maybe people are buying it to more easily stack with an amp.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The obvious answer to that question is, "no". Anyone that tells you the M400 "sounds better" is kidding themselves. So unless you want to pay a lot for the form factor and appearance and the loss of (an admittedly not the best ) head-amp, no it is not worth it. A better question is how much better is the M400 to the soon to be released SU9?

jdoe

Did anyone find solution for M500 stuck on 1.5 firmware so far?

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One has a built in headphone amp, the other has Bluetooth. Both measure about as good as you can get.
One is shaped like most other DACs and amps, and can stack nicely with other equipment, the other is shaped like a loaf of Wonder Bread.

Gerryh

Forum Donor
Just as a follow up to @jdoe's post - is there any reported difference or reported listed changes with the 1.7 firmware and 1.3 hardware? I was an early purchaser and have upgraded to 1.5 firmware and have 1.2 hardware (with the USB driver update 1.08 I believe). I had issues with pops when the dac was switching to/from MQA tracks and wondered if that had been resolved with later firmware or hardware. G

Ottacat

Just as a follow up to @jdoe's post - is there any reported difference or reported listed changes with the 1.7 firmware and 1.3 hardware? I was an early purchaser and have upgraded to 1.5 firmware and have 1.2 hardware (with the USB driver update 1.08 I believe). I had issues with pops when the dac was switching to/from MQA tracks and wondered if that had been resolved with later firmware or hardware. G

Maybe SMSL Mandy can comment. I can say from personal experience that I often listen to playlists with a combination of MQA and non-MQA tracks and I haven't heard any pops.

Top Bottom