• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Charles0322

That sounds like a problem with your specific unit.

Many have said on this forum that the filters are a joke because they don’t change the sound. Try on MQA and you will see they do change the sound. There are lots of problems with most of the units. I can list them if you wish. That being said I’m still happy with the unit. I believe there is a problem where all the filters are supposed to not work while playing MQA. For me they only work while playing MQA.

strangeskies

Try on MQA and you will see they do change the sound.

I have. I don't notice a change in sound. I can only perceive a very slight change in sound with various filters on non-MQA music. I don't know why anyone would think the filters are a "joke"...the change between filters should be barely perceivable.

There are lots of problems with most of the units. I can list them if you wish.

I've followed the various threads detailing the problems.

Charles0322

I have. I don't notice a change in sound. I can only perceive a very slight change in sound with various filters on non-MQA music. I don't know why anyone would think the filters are a "joke"...the change between filters should be barely perceivable.

I've followed the various threads detailing the problems.
Hopefully your unit has no issues. Mine def does not change with any filter on anything but MQA

Bun-Bun

When it is set to line out in the menu, is it actually line out or pre-out?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Yes but is it fixed or variable with volume knob?
Variable. But I don't know what the useful range is going to be. Max volume on RCA is the same as other equipment on my integrated amplifier, but XLR is a much higher level it seems? I can't test XLR though. Because I don't have that.

Bun-Bun

Variable. But I don't know what the useful range is going to be. Max volume on RCA is the same as other equipment on my integrated amplifier, but XLR is a much higher level it seems? I can't test XLR though. Because I don't have that.
Thanks. Just wasn't clear in the manual or specs what it was.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Yeah there is only an option to select output and both respond to your volume control.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
volume varies between 0 and 40 like other smsl and sabaj products. i think about 10-20 ends up being line level, but @amirm will probably have what volume unit he had set when he measured 2v rms rca and 4v rms xlr on the 1khz sine in his notes from this test.

i've noticed that the output stage is a bit punchier seeming than the sabaj d5 output stage, but with balanced out on both i'm at around volume 20 for most listening on both. i don't run a line stage preamp before either of the d5/m500 before my amp (axiom audio ada1000 dsp without a preamp) because the volume control is lossless, perfectly channel matched, and there's no point adding distortion between dac and amp.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I don't think 40 is a lot more than 2v, because it isn't much louder than my Schiit that is supposed to be 2.1v. But the XLR goes way higher up to 7V.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Set it to 35 to provide 3 dB headroom for intersample peaks. It then has the same feature as the $2200 Benchmark Dac3.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Set it to 35 to provide 3 dB headroom for intersample peaks. It then has the same feature as the $2200 Benchmark Dac3.
For both RCA and XLR?

Koeitje

Major Contributor

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
It's clipping digitally. It has nothing to do with the output voltage post analog conversion.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It's clipping digitally. It has nothing to do with the output voltage post analog conversion.
But shouldn't that show in the measurements then, or just in edge cases that weren't tested?:

Unbalanced only goes up a notch to 2.5 volt I think. It does not clip there.

Top Bottom