• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

strangeskies

Does anyone actually hear any difference?

I think I can hear very, very subtle differences between several of them (fast linear and apodizing is the combo the sounds most different to me).

I would not bet much money on my ability to discern differences blind.

niekos

Just upgraded to 1.08, it also shows as 1.08 in xmos properties now. Now start some listening :)
The clicks I noticed before when starting playing MQA is now gone it seems? Need some more testing but that would be really great!
Clicks are still there it seems, but not in all cases, maybe related to switching sampling rates instead of playing MQA, not sure yet.

Last edited:

TC!!

Just upgraded to 1.08, it also shows as 1.08 in xmos properties now. Now start some listening :)
@niekos You have SW 1.5 don't you? I'm wondering if the issue of some people not seeing the correct USB version could be linked to their SW version?

niekos

@niekos You have SW 1.5 don't you? I'm wondering if the issue of some people not seeing the correct USB version could be linked to their SW version?
yes I have SW 1.5, maybe it could be related indeed. Could als be that there is a difference in the files available on the smsl site and the one posted before?

Toku

Major Contributor
The person who says that it is not displayed is misunderstood that the USB firmware version is displayed on the display.

szhchen

Thanks, I know that site with files. With what files do you have trouble playing? Some DSD 256 file?
Infact any thing over PCM 352 DSD256 pops. unless the record is lack of dynamic range make me unable to notice the pop.

But I have perfect MQA playbacks. lol

Last edited:

szhchen

Yes, it is.
Maybe confused by my poor English :p.
I know SW 1.5 is totally different thing with USB interface firmware.

1575043288646.png

Is the red rectangle v1.05 means xmos firmware version is 1.05?
It always shows 1.05 even after I upload 1.07 or 1.08.
Maybe my device is really fucked up?

Last edited:

szhchen

@SMSL-Mandy e-mailed me the 1.08 firmware. And I also tried the one on official sight. And I even build a fresh installed Windows do these and test.

I have ask manufacturer here and emailed the official. They try to convince me my device is normal and one of them even said it is normal to pop while playback.

bluehorseshoe

Just got one of these and updated firmware to 1.08... which shows up on the XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel. However, the unit itself only shows SW 1.5 / HW 1.2, similar to others upthread.

A little more concerning is the fact that I can't get it to show anything more than 44.1kHz, no matter what I play (Stereo 24 BIT / 352.8kHz), MQA, or Stereo DSD 256. Connected via USB. Amazon Music shows device capable of 24 bit / 48kHz and the control panel shows current sample rate of 48kHz

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

strangeskies

Just got one of these and updated firmware to 1.08... which shows up on the XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel. However, the unit itself only shows SW 1.5 / HW 1.2, similar to others upthread.

A little more concerning is the fact that I can't get it to show anything more than 44.1kHz, no matter what I play (Stereo 24 BIT / 352.8kHz), MQA, or Stereo DSD 256. Connected via USB. Amazon Music shows device capable of 24 bit / 48kHz and the control panel shows current sample rate of 48kHz

Any thoughts?

I'm not familiar with Amazon Music, but look under playback settings (or equivalent) and set to Wasapi exclusive mode.

bluehorseshoe

I'm not familiar with Amazon Music, but look under playback settings (or equivalent) and set to Wasapi exclusive mode.

Well I stopped being a total idiot and started trying to google things. Running things through Foobar and configured appropriately helped a bit. I can now play MQA and the 24 bit FLAC plays well. The DSD 256 plays but cuts out every 3 seconds for a half second

I'm chalking this up to Foobar config and user error. Think this thing works really well!

For those who may struggle with Amazon Music Unlimited HD and this, I had to manually update the sample rate in the driver properties to default to 24 bit, 192kHz. Things worked perfectly once I did that... seems Amazon app doesn't control this setting like Foobar and other applications.

Last edited:
Top Bottom