• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The Bluesound Node DAC, just do it...

As @Veri said, there really is no point in a DAC broadcasting in BT. Because the receiving end will have to decode the signal and pass it into a DAC again to play music. You might as well skip the DAC with BT broadcast and use your PC / Handphone to communicate via BT with your designated endpoint instead.

Don't forget, BT is a lossy transmission, double transmission and receiving means doubling the losses.

No point.

Last edited:

Kane1972

Are these people not asking if the M500 can receive Bluetooth and then convert it to analogue?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Are these people not asking if the M500 can receive Bluetooth and then convert it to analogue?
He asked if he could use his bluetooth headphones.

ELIAS

Out of topic but needs your help please. which one do you think is better: Airpulse A100 or A300 ?
Thank u

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TrueBlue

I'm currently using the SMSL SU8 (V2) with Schiit Magni 3, and I ordered a THX 789 that should ship in December. Do you think an upgrade from SU8 to M500 is worth it?

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm currently using the SMSL SU8 (V2) with Schiit Magni 3, and I ordered a THX 789 that should ship in December. Do you think an upgrade from SU8 to M500 is worth it?
Sold my SU 8 to upgrade to the M500 which is on the way (also to use with THX 789)...but I must admit it wasn't because SU 8 had anything lacking...maybe for 10 Db better SINAD..Naaa, unless you're using MQA frequently, not really!

RicaNeaga

I reviewed the S2 long time ago using my old measurement gear. So someone sent me another one to test with my new setup. So look to that to answer this question more quantitatively.
Can you also please answer the debate about digital filters, when you compare those two? It is said that while Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital deactivates any digital filter while playing MQA content, SMSL M500 still has them active. Please mention also the firmware version used for both, hopefully the latest. Also, since those two DACs are very similarly priced, maybe you'll also have time to make a recommendation regarding the best budget DAC for MQA content in that price envelope. Thank you very much. :)

Last edited:

Charles0322

This is what I received back from soundnews when I asked him the same question.

Attachments

• 82A701F2-734A-41BF-8128-BBF2881162FF.jpeg
    82A701F2-734A-41BF-8128-BBF2881162FF.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 460

Shoaibexpert

So let me ask the question, money and MQA aside aside...which DAC is technically Superior: the M500 or the Topping DX7PRO, noting that the M500 beats the Topping DX7PRO in Dynamic range, linearity and THD+Noise VS Frequency stats? Thanks

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you also please answer the debate about digital filters, when you compare those two? It is said that while Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital deactivates any digital filter while playing MQA content, SMSL M500 still has them active. Please mention also the firmware version used for both, hopefully the latest. Also, since those two DACs are very similarly priced, maybe you'll also have time to make a recommendation regarding the best budget DAC for MQA content in that price envelope. Thank you very much. :)
I don't know a good way to test for this. Who tested it and arrived at those answers?

Loadstarr

I'd like to know which one is better when paired with HD650, M500 or SP200?
(With only $300 for first taste of desktop system, I have to made a tough choice between these two)
I already have a HM901S, but its amp power is not enough to fit HD650... :(((

dropbear

Does anyone know how switching between XLR&RCA line outputs work? Can you have both connected (such as one to powered speakers, one to some sick THX headamp) simultaneously and switch between which one you want to use or does it automatically bridge them so both are always active?

mkawa

Forum Donor
when the unit is set to preamp output, both the xlrs and the rca outs are active at all times.

so yah, you can have the RCAs running to your sub and the xlrs out to your amp

to update the firmware from a mac or linux, run a virtualbox vm with windows on it.

I'd like to know which one is better when paired with HD650, M500 or SP200?
(With only $300 for first taste of desktop system, I have to made a tough choice between these two)
I already have a HM901S, but its amp power is not enough to fit HD650... :(((
i really like how my hd600 sound on the m500, and if you don't already have a transparent DAC, you may get distortion and noise from your line output to the sp200 that you can't do anything about.

also, these are going to be on the market for a while. no need to rush things. ok, caveat: if you want an sp200, you may need to wait until next year if you don't buy from the first batch. i don't think that's such a big deal though

fwiw, i like the HP amp on the m500 more than the one on the sabaj d5. i'm acquiring a used pair of dt880 600o so see how well it powers a much more challenging load though (so far, i've tried hd600, mdr7550/ex800st, er4sr, er3xr)

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
also, these are going to be on the market for a while. no need to rush things. ok, caveat: if you want an sp200, you may need to wait until next year if you don't buy from the first batch. i don't think that's such a big deal though

fwiw, i like the HP amp on the m500 more than the one on the sabaj d5. i'm acquiring a used pair of dt880 600o so see how well it powers a much more challenging load though (so far, i've tried hd600, mdr7550/ex800st, er4sr, er3xr)

Interesting..! Thanks for the review :)

Jaysz

Could using rca and xlr at the same time unbalance the xlr cables.

Top Bottom