• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Satyadhara

When using a separate headphone amp with the M500, do you keep volume at max? Will changing the volume on the M500 have any effect on the measurements?

Hi all (especially Amirm). I'm using an Audient iD14 with pro studio monitors (Kali IN-8 and KRK 10-3).
What real differences would I expect to hear, swapping the iD14 for an M500?

Thank you in advance!

aebln

When using a separate headphone amp with the M500, do you keep volume at max? Will changing the volume on the M500 have any effect on the measurements?

I guess it depends on the amp. I don't have a separate headphone amp, but when I connected an amp that drives my speakers (SMSL SA300) I had to lower the volume, so I don't get clearly audible distortions.

I'm rather interested if there is any benefit to connect an external headphone amp at all, if the output is loud enough.

SweetLead

Ifi Neo or Topping A90 + SMSL M500 (as dac only) stack for current sennheiser hd 660s and maybe in future sennheiser hd 800s ? I like how ifi Neo have all in one combo. amp, dac, mqa...... but I don't know if Ifi Neo will be good enough to drive properly the sennheiser hd 800s. If it will, Neo gonna be my endgame unit.

Smislov

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello everyone,
I'm using M500 Ver1, but I'm having trouble with the following symptoms. Does M500 Ver2 have the same symptoms?
I posted the same question before but didn't get a useful answer.

When the power is turned on / off, a large pop noise appears on the XLR output. Therefore, it is not possible to make an XLR connection with a power amplifier that has no input volume.

If you turn up the volume in headphone mode, the signal leaks to the RCA & XLR output.

foxxx0

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
I'm using M500 Ver1, but I'm having trouble with the following symptoms. Does M500 Ver2 have the same symptoms?

When the power is turned on / off, a large pop noise appears on the XLR output. Therefore, it is not possible to make an XLR connection with a power amplifier that has no input volume.

If you turn up the volume in headphone mode, the signal leaks to the RCA & XLR output.

Oh interesting, I have just tried that out myself and can confirm my Ver1 does also show that behaviour.
If switched to headphone out, there is still some highly distorted signal leakage to the XLR output (have not tried RCA, don't use it).

Could some Ver2 owners try to test this scenario on their units? While it does not really affect/bother me, this surely seems like a design/engineering fault or overlook and might maybe warrant a RMA?!

Toku

Major Contributor
Oh interesting, I have just tried that out myself and can confirm my Ver1 does also show that behaviour.
If switched to headphone out, there is still some highly distorted signal leakage to the XLR output (have not tried RCA, don't use it).

Could some Ver2 owners try to test this scenario on their units? While it does not really affect/bother me, this surely seems like a design/engineering fault or overlook and might maybe warrant a RMA?!
It would be helpful if someone could test and report this issue with Ver2.
Of course, there is no problem testing this with Ver2.
I especially want to know about pop noise on XLR outputs.
If there is no problem with Ver2, I would like to order Ver2 immediately.

This issue was immediately discovered in Ver1 and reported to SMSL. However, SMSL is silent on this issue.

lucadoc

Hi Toku,

I've V2 M500 and no pop on xlr (I use ncore or normal amplifier with xlr input).

For the headphone leakage I have to test when I'll be back at home because my amplifiers are Off and no auto On Off functions on them.

+DS_DV+

Hi All,

got the SMSL m500 and so far it is ok :)

is there any use in installign drivers?
Also own a CXA80 and still wonder the same thing. Any advantage in installing some drivers?

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi All,

got the SMSL m500 and so far it is ok :)

is there any use in installign drivers?
Also own a CXA80 and still wonder the same thing. Any advantage in installing some drivers?
If your usage conditions do not use DSD, PCM is up to 384kHz, and you are not dissatisfied with the sound quality of the resampled Windows audio system, you do not need to install the driver.

liu

Hello everyone,

both problems exist in V2.

on/off pop noise is device dependent. My active monitor has filtering so it's not that loud. But it does show up in my audio interface.

in hp amp mode, it does leak audio into xlr and rca. If you tear down the device you'll find the rear outputs are controlled by bipolar muting transistors. those are not as effective as relays. So yes they leak sound.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Did SMSL change the OP amplifier when the M500 was remodeled from Ver1 to Ver2? In the description of M500 on HP, the OP amplifier remains OPA1612 and there is no change. Why doesn't SMSL announce it? This way of doing business is a fraud.

Top Bottom