• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In theory and practice, not a lot, but if youre going into a noisy amp you'll just be emphasising that noise as you'll be making it work harder.

Theres a few posts here and elsewhere (think Archimago has done something ) on digital volume in DACs. When we are talking about transparent kit such as this, I would do whatever works best for you for your use case.
Nice. But wouldnt the DAC output stage's increase in output (DAC volume increase) also have a negative impact? Anyways, ASR measures DACs~4Vrms anyways so unless the DAC outputs more voltage than that, DAC is gonna remain clean at least up to that level...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. But wouldnt the DAC output stage's increase in output (DAC volume increase) also have a negative impact? Anyways, ASR measures DACs~4Vrms anyways so unless the DAC outputs more voltage than that, DAC is gonna remain clean at least up to that level...

Depends on the engineering- you'd have thought optimal for a DAC would be at full output by design. However, see the Sound BlasterX g6 that s**ts itself above -2db.

That rare case aside, I would have thought keeping it above 70% or so shouldnt have meaningful variance in performance of what comes out. 25/40 (63%) might start going the other way, any noise starting to dominate any distortion. But we are talking negligible of anything compared to what yur speakers/ headphones will be doing to the signal.

I dont recall @amirm showing what the SINAD was above vol 34 on XLR (4.3v) - would be interested if it went up or down on the V1.

Shoaibexpert

Depends on the engineering- you'd have thought optimal for a DAC would be at full output by design. However, see the Sound BlasterX g6 that s**ts itself above -2db.

That rare case aside, I would have thought keeping it above 70% or so shouldnt have meaningful variance in performance of what comes out. 25/40 (63%) might start going the other way, any noise starting to dominate any distortion. But we are talking negligible of anything compared to what yur speakers/ headphones will be doing to the signal.

I dont recall @amirm showing what the SINAD was above vol 34 on XLR (4.3v) - would be interested if it went up or down on the V1.
Yes, thats correct. Usually, with lower end gear like the Magni 3 + Dragonfly Red DAC setup that i had once, both devices sh**ted themselves after 75% volume...so i had to balance both device volumes so none would go beyond 75% whilst i received enjoyable listening levels...

Shoaibexpert

I am curious, have you tried higher end or expensive gear like maybe those from Chord or IFI or Brooklyn etc...that had the same measurements as the Chi-FI stuff...doing critical listening, did you ever notice any one being superior to the other in practice (i mean subjectively!)?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious, have you tried higher end or expensive gear like maybe those from Chord or IFI or Brooklyn etc...that had the same measurements as the Chi-FI stuff...doing critical listening, did you ever notice any one being superior to the other in practice (i mean subjectively!)?

My kit stops at M500/ THX 789 levels. Most of my money is tied up in headphones . Let me see I'm listening to one of those expensive pieces and I'm sure I would perceive an improvement over current set up ;-)

cjsiam

Looking for advice using the m500.

I brought this recently, it has the newer version of the firmware 1.3.

I have tried connecting via USB to both my RPi Moode and my Ubuntu laptop. Everything works OK, except on both systems the volume level is very low listening on any of my Headphones. I have to go all the way up to 40 just to get a reasonable volume level to listen.

Is this is known issue with Linux-USB input? Does anyone else use the HP with an RPi and not have this issue ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Oklei

Forum Donor
I have tried connecting via USB to both my RPi Moode and my Ubuntu laptop. Everything works OK, except on both systems the volume level is very low listening on any of my Headphones. I have to go all the way up to 40 just to get a reasonable volume level to listen.
Have you selected the headphone output in the m500 menu? It sounds like you're on lineout and listen to bleeding in headphones sound.

cjsiam

Have you selected the headphone output in the m500 menu? It sounds like you're on lineout and listen to bleeding in headphones sound.
Hi, yes headphone out selected. On line out there is no sound.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Any way you can connect USB or another input to a phone or non linux source?

But- another question, what headphones? Its not the most powerful HPA out there- but Amir tested with 300 ohm HD650 and Ether CX which are quite low sensitivity. Both can be driven loud.

Some setting on linux attenuating volume below full output?

Oklei

Forum Donor
Something is wrong then. I use the m500 with raspberry pies with picoreplayer and dietpi. Just checked: the smsl alsa usb device doesn't have any volume controls that could be too low. With my dt1770pro 250Ohm headphones it is too loud already at 20. Strange.

cjsiam

Something is wrong then. I use the m500 with raspberry pies with picoreplayer and dietpi. Just checked: the smsl alsa usb device doesn't have any volume controls that could be too low. With my dt1770pro 250Ohm headphones it is too loud already at 20. Strange.
Very strange indeed - headphones are HD6XX, AKG K92 and some cheap sony IEM's - all only get to a reasonable volume at 40...

On Moode RPi I have 0db full sotware volume setting. Laptop software volume at full power too.

Hmm, my only other option would be to try another build on the Pi - good to hear no problems with Picoreplayer, so I'll try that.

Thank you both for you comments and suggestions

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very strange indeed - headphones are HD6XX, AKG K92 and some cheap sony IEM's - all only get to a reasonable volume at 40...

On Moode RPi I have 0db full sotware volume setting. Laptop software volume at full power too.

Hmm, my only other option would be to try another build on the Pi - good to hear no problems with Picoreplayer, so I'll try that.

Thank you both for you comments and suggestions
No way of feeding it usb from your phone?

Other than that, you'd have to think the amp section is kaputt.

icsi85

Alright just to update, i took my THX 789 on a home tour. Turns out the same buzz is heard on all my home sockets. Could there be something wrong with the Amp power supply?

Today i noticed something. With my SMSL M6, and powered speakers on high volume i got some buzz thats changing. I was downloading something on my phone (wifi). I stopped it, and the buzz went away.

cjsiam

Looking for advice using the m500.

I brought this recently, it has the newer version of the firmware 1.3.

Is this is known issue with Linux-USB input? Does anyone else use the HP with an RPi and not have this issue ?

Thanks
So an update on this. I contacted SMSL and was advised to update the USB firmware to 2.01, however on finding a windows PC I was able to check and it already is on v2.01.
I tested the HP out on Windows and there is no problem with the HP audio level - gets too loud at 30 - so is working correctly.
The issue remains on both my Linux laptop and using Moode RPi - I have yet to try with picore or dietpi

Oklei

Forum Donor
So an update on this. I contacted SMSL and was advised to update the USB firmware to 2.01, however on finding a windows PC I was able to check and it already is on v2.01.
I tested the HP out on Windows and there is no problem with the HP audio level - gets too loud at 30 - so is working correctly.
The issue remains on both my Linux laptop and using Moode RPi - I have yet to try with picore or dietpi
Could you try to set the volume control in moode to "hardware". This would disable the internal moode volume control. If this doesn't solve the problem try to execute "alsamixer" on the rpi via ssh select the soundcard with F6 and check if all volumecontrols are at max.

cjsiam

Could you try to set the volume control in moode to "hardware". This would disable the internal moode volume control. If this doesn't solve the problem try to execute "alsamixer" on the rpi via ssh select the soundcard with F6 and check if all volumecontrols are at max.
Thank you so much ! The alsamixer volume setting was the culprit - works perfectly now ! :)

Top Bottom