• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL HO200 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 7.2%
  • Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 47.4%
  • Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 106 42.6%

• Total voters

Haruko

Anybody using this amp? Your personal feedback?

What's the equivalent to toppings offering? (Current production)

Thanks
equivalent would be Topping A30Pro i guess (no pre amp) A90 (preamp)

RHO

Major Contributor
equivalent would be Topping A30Pro i guess (no pre amp) A90 (preamp)
Well, I would look at the A90 more. A30pro has only pass trough outputs and the headphones output is not balanced.

mrjayviper

I both an a90 2 days ago. Thinking of a DAC/amp for my gaming setup. The a90 will be used while working from home

mrjayviper

Just bought this amp on a Amazon lightning deal. Should be perfect for my gaming setup. Though I'm currently having buyer's remorse size I could've easily moved the topping a90d from my home office to the bedroom

Jefesix

Hello. this is my first ever comment, altought this is an old thread, maybe someone will have a comment. I am looking at this HO-200 more as a preamp, it pretty much mirrors items from Topping, altough topping makes the PRE-90 (preamp) and a very similar A-90 wich is the one that is the headphone amp. Amir reviewed the Topping PRE-90 (preamp) and this one only as a Headphone amp. I am not much into headphones, so I wonder if the small issues would translate into anything that is noticeable?. There is a 200 dlls difference from this SMSL to the Topping preamp where I can get them here. So that is my question see if anyone can help

RHO

Major Contributor
Hello. this is my first ever comment, altought this is an old thread, maybe someone will have a comment. I am looking at this HO-200 more as a preamp, it pretty much mirrors items from Topping, altough topping makes the PRE-90 (preamp) and a very similar A-90 wich is the one that is the headphone amp. Amir reviewed the Topping PRE-90 (preamp) and this one only as a Headphone amp. I am not much into headphones, so I wonder if the small issues would translate into anything that is noticeable?. There is a 200 dlls difference from this SMSL to the Topping preamp where I can get them here. So that is my question see if anyone can help
I don't think the differences will be audible. But the A90 does perform better and the fact that the RCA on the HO200 performs better than the XLR is "strange". But still this device performs great.
The only thing that is a little worrisome about this HO200 is the protection kicking in below 12Hz. If you are going to use it to watch movies this could be a very annoying behavior.
If your budget allows it, the A90 would be the better choice I think.

Jefesix

I don't think the differences will be audible. But the A90 does perform better and the fact that the RCA on the HO200 performs better than the XLR is "strange". But still this device performs great.
The only thing that is a little worrisome about this HO200 is the protection kicking in below 12Hz. If you are going to use it to watch movies this could be a very annoying behavior.
Yes, I will have to think about it. BesidesI think the topping preamp does output RCA and XLR at the same time, and my sub is RCA so there is that also. Do you know the voltage output of the HO-200? ...thanks!

Jefesix

Strange question, does anyone know if the pre-amp function will pass audio to both the XLR and RCA outs? I have balanced speakers but an unbalanced sub. I have a passive pre-amp I'd love to replace it and gain a high-power headphone amp. I'm told the Topping A90 will do it, but this looks tempting for $100 less.
Hello Joel, I am new here, dont know if you got an anwser on this?, as far as I can tell, looking at the details, since the SMSL has a toggle switch, then you can not have both. I have the same issue that I want the RCA-Sub at the same time. I have Topping DACS e30 and the e50 which lets you select either one of RCA, Balanced TRS or both at the same time, and that is how I run it currently, but looking at some videos I learned that this setup would benefit greatly with this type of pre-amp because of the voltage output they have. So what happened did you get it?

Jefesix

Hello Joel, I am new here, dont know if you got an anwser on this?, as far as I can tell, looking at the details, since the SMSL has a toggle switch, then you can not have both. I have the same issue that I want the RCA-Sub at the same time. I have Topping DACS e30 and the e50 which lets you select either one of RCA, Balanced TRS or both at the same time, and that is how I run it currently, but looking at some videos I learned that this setup would benefit greatly with this type of pre-amp because of the voltage output they have. So what happened did you get it? In Mexico the difference is $200 dollars

Jimster480

Major Contributor
A90 is quite a bit more expensive though.... THX AAA 789 is much cheaper.... Then there is also the SMSL Amps like the SH-9...
Geshelli Archel 2 Pro.... so many different great amps before you get to the A90/A90D.
You could also get like a Topping DX5 or EX5 and then just use your headphones and Pre-Amp with a selector. This is what I do with my EX5. I drive my headphone with one output and my speakers with the other output and just toggle between them. They even allow for toggling with XLR, RCA and HP, etc.

RHO

Major Contributor
A90 is quite a bit more expensive though.... THX AAA 789 is much cheaper.... Then there is also the SMSL Amps like the SH-9...
Geshelli Archel 2 Pro.... so many different great amps before you get to the A90/A90D.
You could also get like a Topping DX5 or EX5 and then just use your headphones and Pre-Amp with a selector. This is what I do with my EX5. I drive my headphone with one output and my speakers with the other output and just toggle between them. They even allow for toggling with XLR, RCA and HP, etc.
The A90 was mentioned by @Jefesix . That's why I suggested it.
There are indeed many other good ones tested here on ASR.

Joel

Hello Joel, I am new here, dont know if you got an anwser on this?, as far as I can tell, looking at the details, since the SMSL has a toggle switch, then you can not have both. I have the same issue that I want the RCA-Sub at the same time. I have Topping DACS e30 and the e50 which lets you select either one of RCA, Balanced TRS or both at the same time, and that is how I run it currently, but looking at some videos I learned that this setup would benefit greatly with this type of pre-amp because of the voltage output they have. So what happened did you get it?
I ended up buying the unit and it does OUTPUT to both RCA and TRS simultaneously. The selector is to choose between RCA and TRS inputs. As a pre-amp it works beautifully in pairing my powered monitors (TRS) with my powered sub (RCA). It is also a great headphone amp as well!

Jefesix

I ended up buying the unit and it does OUTPUT to both RCA and TRS simultaneously. The selector is to choose between RCA and TRS inputs. As a pre-amp it works beautifully in pairing my powered monitors (TRS) with my powered sub (RCA). It is also a great headphone amp as well!
That is great news, that changes everything because it also has the headphones outputs, and basically same performance as Topping PRE9', altough some technical hiccups mentioned by Amir but may not be of impact. Just to clarify I mentioned TRS but on both topping and SMSL top of the line is XLR (not TRS) balanced right?

Joel

That is great news, that changes everything because it also has the headphones outputs, and basically same performance as Topping PRE9', altough some technical hiccups mentioned by Amir but may not be of impact. Just to clarify I mentioned TRS but on both topping and SMSL top of the line is XLR (not TRS) balanced right?
Yes, the balanced in/out is XLR not TRS, my mistake.

Loomynarty

Anybody using this amp? Your personal feedback?

What's the equivalent to toppings offering? (Current production)

Thanks
I've had it for 3 days now and I'm really impressed, especially for the price. I did quite a bit of research before buying this amp as I needed something that checked quite a few boxes without much compromise. Those features being: 1) real pre-amp functionality, not a pass-through, 2) low enough gain and noise floor for sensitive IEMs, 3) enough power to drive my HE6se v2, and finally 4) good value for money. In the short time I've been listening and playing around with it it 100% checks all those boxes.

Also, the relay muting on power up and when switching I/O is a really nice feature that I have only experienced with my now second newest amp, Emotiva BasX A2m. Having no pops or clicks coming through the headphones or speakers (when using the pre-amp) is always reassuring.

If I were to nitpick, I'd say the volume knob feels a bit cheap and plasticky, as well as the actual movement of the pot feels a little too loose. I'm used to higher quality ALPS pots having a bit more resistance to turning than this one offers.

Overall, I'd say this is by far the most versatile amp I've owned and has about as good of a build quality as one could expect for the price. This will definitely be a keeper!

Jefesix

I've had it for 3 days now and I'm really impressed, especially for the price. I did quite a bit of research before buying this amp as I needed something that checked quite a few boxes without much compromise. Those features being: 1) real pre-amp functionality, not a pass-through, 2) low enough gain and noise floor for sensitive IEMs, 3) enough power to drive my HE6se v2, and finally 4) good value for money. In the short time I've been listening and playing around with it it 100% checks all those boxes.

Also, the relay muting on power up and when switching I/O is a really nice feature that I have only experienced with my now second newest amp, Emotiva BasX A2m. Having no pops or clicks coming through the headphones or speakers (when using the pre-amp) is always reassuring.

If I were to nitpick, I'd say the volume knob feels a bit cheap and plasticky, as well as the actual movement of the pot feels a little too loose. I'm used to higher quality ALPS pots having a bit more resistance to turning than this one offers.

Overall, I'd say this is by far the most versatile amp I've owned and has about as good of a build quality as one could expect for the price. This will definitely be a keeper!
Great to hear more good comments on actual users of this amp I am actually waiting on the delivery of mine wich is programmed for next week. Can´t wait for it to get here...thanks so much...Pedro

SurgeArrest

My first post on this forum.

After "longish" research decided to get DO200mk2/HO200 this Black Friday. This is not what I initially thought I would get - my first choice was Topping all-in-one DX7 Pro Plus or Fiio K9 PRO ESS. My plan is to drive well my Senn HD600 (I got those in 2002), Denon AH-D2000 and I want to try planar magnetic by getting HE6SE v2 from Adorama.
The question is does my choice of DO200mk2 and HO200 still make sense in the fall of 2022 as the pair is just under USD $700 now?

I'm moving off the original Magni/Modi set which developed a very strong channel imbalance.

Adaboy4z

My first post on this forum.

After "longish" research decided to get DO200mk2/HO200 this Black Friday. This is not what I initially thought I would get - my first choice was Topping all-in-one DX7 Pro Plus or Fiio K9 PRO ESS. My plan is to drive well my Senn HD600 (I got those in 2002), Denon AH-D2000 and I want to try planar magnetic by getting HE6SE v2 from Adorama.
The question is does my choice of DO200mk2 and HO200 still make sense in the fall of 2022 as the pair is just under USD $700 now?

I'm moving off the original Magni/Modi set which developed a very strong channel imbalance.
You Purchased a good Dac and Amp. Enjoy them and don't think about the money since it's gone.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Depends on what kind of features you were after! It's not a bad price for a combo like that though.

Without balanced cabling, you're not going to get any more power out of this than a (much cheaper) Topping EX5 - which, mind you, is not bad to begin with. At least you won't have to worry about upgrading the DAC in a loooong time...

SurgeArrest

I would like to drive HE6se v2 which I read is really hard to drive. I'm also after adding clarity and detail to HD600. I really enjoy hearing when musicians are plucking the strings of their guitars or how orchestras breath and move in quiet pieces (gives a feeling of the moment like you would hear in the concert hall near the stage).

Topping EX5 and HO200 are just $20 apart right now.

Top Bottom