• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DP5 Music Streamer and DAC Review

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon compatibility is a different thing. I was testing Airplay and it would fail to play. The only thing left to test it with would be DLNA and I am not a fan of that. Nor do I have a setup to test with that.
Is is possible to test with native Roon support?

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not according to Roon it’s not.

Roon Ready Devices

There are devices that support Roon but have not completed the compatibility testing.

A Raspberry Pi3 can be powered from a 1 amp 5 volt USB power supply running DietPi with Roon endpoint. This works well with the Sonica DAC and RMC-1. The Pi powers on with the device.

- Rich

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I was seriously looking at this unit for my bedroom, thanks to this review I will look elsewhere.

My main system is comprised of the Matrix Audio Element X. I will say its software is 90-95% there. It has a few minor niggles that I can live with (example: scrolling through folders in the player, if I enter a folder and then return, it jumps back to the top of the list and I'll have to scroll back down to where I was browsing).

The only other affordable alternative I can find is the Yamaha WXA-50, and that's about it. A lot of members here suggest building Raspberry Pi units but many of us are looking for a wifi based simple all-in-one-box solution. with good UI. The cheaper Matrix Audio units are around $1000 and is too much for a second system. This is a gap in the market that I hope it will be filled soon.

Your right. There is a gap in the market for a reasonably priced, high quality streamer/DAC - that just works!

I always find it curious that audiophiles demand perfection from hardware, yet put up with software which is at best a work in progress, at worst a bug fest.

As for the Matrix Element streamers just check some of the threads on this forum. The posts are now all about functionality, not sound quality.

The Matrix Element X software is 90-95% there. Really? Is that acceptable on a £2,800 device?

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is a gap in the market for a reasonably priced, high quality streamer/DAC - that just works!
The Bluesound Node 2i is pretty close at $450.

Or, a second-hand Squeezebox Touch at around $150.

Or, a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer (Squeezebox) or Ropieee (Roon) plus a HiFiBerry Digi/DAC board for about $100.

Last edited:

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
The Bluesound Node 2i is pretty close at $450.

Or, a second-hand Squeezebox Touch at around $150.

Or, a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer (Squeezebox) or Ropieee (Roon) plus a HiFiBerry Digi/DAC board for about $100.

High quality? The Node 2i didn't get a very good review on this forum.

Is the squeezebox standalone? Not really familiar with it.

Tried Raspberry Pi with Volumio. A complete bug fest.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I, like many on here, have run RPi with no problems at all. I run it using Moode to stream Qobuz and it works a treat.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The panther loses its head again. I'm not a fan of dedicated streamers when there are computer based alternatives which work so well. Thank you @amirm for another detailed review. Even a cast off Windows notebook will do the job if it isn't noisy.

Sukie

Forum Donor
A lot of members here suggest building Raspberry Pi units but many of us are looking for a wifi based simple all-in-one-box solution. with good UI. The cheaper Matrix Audio units are around $1000 and is too much for a second system. This is a gap in the market that I hope it will be filled soon.
Whilst I agree that the SMSL DP5 should be better, an RPi4 provides a cheap and easy solution. It's pretty easy to set up and you can stick a DAC hat on it to provide a single box solution.

Apesbrain

I'm not a fan of dedicated streamers when there are computer based alternatives which work so well.
This is a good point. You can buy an AWOW NV41 fanless mini-PC and an internal 2TB storage drive for about $300. Connect to your favorite DAC via USB. Run LMS or another free server. Control/remote desktop from another PC or phone/tablet.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor

Is the squeezebox standalone? Not really familiar with it.

The node 2i (or any other streamer) using digital out to an external DAC would presumably be as good as the DAC, yes? Just a matter of liking the interface/controls? Or have I got that wrong?

Apesbrain

Had to go back and re-read that thread; it's quite a roller coaster. Conclusion seems to be that it performs fine on any output other than optical. Recent price cut may mean a new model is on the way that fixes the issue.
Or have I got that wrong?
I think you're pretty much correct. Preference is a matter of usability, services supported, and reliability/ease of maintenance.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
The node 2i (or any other streamer) using digital out to an external DAC would presumably be as good as the DAC, yes? Just a matter of liking the interface/controls? Or have I got that wrong?

You're right. That's how I use the CCA. However, I meant a there was a gap in the market for an all in one standalone Streamer/DAC. It doesn't really qualify if it then needs an additional external DAC.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
You're right. That's how I use the CCA. However, I meant a there was a gap in the market for an all in one standalone Streamer/DAC. It doesn't really qualify if it then needs an additional external DAC.
I understand. Sorry ‘bout that.
How do the Denon & Marantz units fare? HEOS is on most of their recent AVRs, but they both make stand alone DAC/streamers. I think they are in the ballpark in price. Cambridge Audio too.

Theriverlethe

So, it seems that DACs are sorted, and streamers are sorted, but putting them both in the same box to a high level of performance is somehow a skill that only Matrix has managed to sort?

I mean, that or a Raspberry Pi with HAT.

Reactions: GDK

GDK

Forum Donor
I mean, that or a Raspberry Pi with HAT.
You’ve made a valid point, but there are lots of people to whom assembling a RPi unit has limited appeal. Plus, a Pi plus DAC hat isn’t nearly as flexible as these all-in-one solutions are meant to be.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Kind of disappointing glitches. These results reinforce my feelings that with any unit which relies heavily on being-up-do-date-with-moving-target software/firmware, this is best accomplished with discrete boxes so if the streaming side of the box doesn't / can't keep up to date, the DAC portion isn't useless. There's also a similar problem with integrated amplifiers/preamps/DACs where if DAC technology advances, your preamplifier/power amplifier section isn't useless. With separate DAC and integrated amp one of these boxes can be changed out without the other being affected.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review. I agree with your assessment. It needs to work easily for the advertised and intended purpose.

If someone makes a device with the functionality of an Amazon Echo Link, with full HD streaming, a DAC as good as this, and built in EQ, I will hand them $500 or so. At some point fairly early, it is worth just going cheap computer + DAC, so it needs to be priced well under $800 and it needs to be super convenient to integrate and use. I should be able to control it with my phone and my voice (indirectly) too.

PuX

The only thing left to test it with would be DLNA and I am not a fan of that.
but isn't DLNA the only option to stream hi-res files without additional compression? I was under the impression AirPlay would re-compress audio to it's standard/limit, which is probably 16 bit 44.1khz apple lossless at best.

I am not a fan of DLNA either, but SMB is generally unsupported on streaming devices.

Top Bottom