• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DP5 Music Streamer and DAC Review

dss862

Gremlins

I'm in talks now with a view to buying the MX 3a pro, ticks all the boxes for me but going back to the dp5, I bought it specifically because I have a big library of music and it is advertised as being compatible with 4tb hard drives but unfortunately what it doesn't tell you is that it can only import 30,000 tracks, so what's the point of it being compatible with larger hdd, also smsl has said that this is a memory issue and cannot be rectified with a firmware update, just another nail in the coffin for smsl and I'm out of pocket by £500.
Reading you, i am thinking what's the point having 30000 tracks?
First put on another hard disc all tracks you are not found off and you know you will not select fir listening .. then you're smsl will be ok.

You create your own problem i think ..not smsl

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have any info on how the SD-9, which is $200 cheaper, is different than or improves upon the DP5? I can find nothing on the web comparing the two. I have the DP5 on the way and the SD-9 has a long delivery time—I’d appreciate knowing what I’m missing (if anything) with the SD-9 while I’m still in the return window for the DP5, thanks!

twiningstea

DP5 is Hi-Fi Network Music Player with integrated top level DAC on ES 9038 Pro chip. It has high fi analog RCA and balanced analog XLR outputs.

SD-9 is Network digital player actualy transport. It does not have any integrated DAC. You need to have amp with DAC or separate standalone DAC to get high fi analog outputs. SD-9 only has digital outs but does not have any analog outs - RCA or Headphones.

Everithing else is very similar axept DAC part.
Hope this helps.

twiningstea

SMSL DP5 v1.5 changes (autotranslated from Chinese

Modified content:
A. Add the following modules in the file browser:
1. DLNA option, select it to directly enter the DLNA playback interface;
2. Bluetooth option, select it to enter the Bluetooth playback interface directly, if there is no song, the color of the cover image will be darker;
3. Airplay option, select it to directly enter the Airplay playback interface;
4. USB_DAC option, select it to directly enter the USB_DAC playback interface.
B. USB_B port, modified to DAC by default;
C. Bluetooth, DLNA, AirPlay are turned on by default;
D. When changing the UI of the USB DAC, when playing MQA, DSD, Hi-Res, and ordinary PCM, the corresponding icon will be displayed;
E. Fixed the problem of not displaying mqa information on the dlna interface.
F. Modify the shutdown logo.
G. Optimize the problem of different sizes of cover art displayed on the screen when playing music.
H. Fixed the impact sound problem that may occur when switching between DSD files when using the ESS chip decoder I2S connection

Attachments

• 2021-12-01_132512.png
    2021-12-01_132512.png
    970.5 KB · Views: 194

imas69

Reading you, i am thinking what's the point having 30000 tracks?
First put on another hard disc all tracks you are not found off and you know you will not select fir listening .. then you're smsl will be ok.

You create your own problem i think ..not smsl
What an utterly ridiculous thing to say, the reason i have more than 30000 tracks is because i listen to and buy a lot of music, your suggestion for me to split all of my albums up into only songs I want to listen to is equally as stupid, smsl advertise that the product is compatible with a 4tb hard drive which would hold a lot more than 30000 tracks, so what is the point of the unit being compatible with something that doesn't read all of the music which was the point of my purchase.

Gremlins

Create two folders , one with 15000 tracks, the other one too .. then you good

You create your own problem i think ...

almamorphous

Hi folks.
I have an SMSL DP5 already for more than 1 year, and I must say that I'm very happy with it. I could not ask more for the price. So, it comes as a surprise to me when I found this review with panther without the head. That seems unfair to me.
Despite the excellent incorporated DAC (I use it to improve the sound of a Bluesound Node streamer, connected via USB) I can easily play hundreds of files from an external disk or from Google Dive. I think it recognizes all existing music formats.

Bogda

So at this moment, can owners of DP5 confirm that Airplay is working properly?

twiningstea

Yes, AirPlay works. I confirm. I have spent some testing Roon with SMSL DP5 over AirPlay. You need to know that AirPlay only transmits CD quality 44 kHz / 16 bit. AIrPlay does not support high resolution sources. That is why i rejected idea to use Roon with SMSL DP5 streaming music over AirPlay.

Here are some details in posts #497 and #498

twiningstea

Additionaly ...

Jriver media center succesfuly transmits hi res music to SMSL DP5 over DNLA. But so far its UI looks cumbersome and over complicated for me.

Also Twonky media center succesfuly transmits hi res music to SMSL DP5 over DNLA. But it does not support CUE indexes to separate tracks in large FLAC/WAV images. Twonky support answered that : "The development of Twonky is very limited on these days and mainly focused in security patches and bug fixes. All I can do at this time is tag this ticket the ‘feature-request’ label (which I just did) so can be re-considered for future releases. FYI, this feature was already requested in the past and the management team declined the request due the lack of development resources." in support case [TH-5409 [Twonky Help] Twonky Server ignores CUE index files next to large CD flac images]

Also i have tried Kodi but it can not stream to external DNLA renderer.

Last edited:

twiningstea

I appreciate anyone help in contacting Twonky Media Center support [email protected] with "support CUE indexes for FLAC/WAV music files to separate tracks" enhancement feature request.

Twonky Media Center is very nice, light and promising. It could be kind of Roon-like solution for SMSL DP5.

hyfynut

This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL DP5 music streaming player and DAC. It was kindly sent to me by shenzhenaudio. The DP5 costs US $599.99.

The DP5 sports a very nice, high resolution display:

View attachment 88228

Alas, I am not a fan of the rotary control. It has sharp edges and generally feels very cheap. And oh, lest you are tempted to touch the screen to select items, don't as it is not touch sensitive.

The icons are the "VCR controls" are too tiny, especially the menu one.

See if you can find the volume level on that display! It is top left in the tiniest font you can imagine. Even when that menu is not up, it is the same size. It is enlarged nicely when adjusting but then you get a bland picture showing the connection, not the existing volume. I routinely check the volume before hitting play to make sure I am not going to blow my ears off. I can't do that with such a tiny display.

By far the worst part of the interface is that there is no way to select an input! Yes, you read that right. I read the manual 10 times, played with all the menus repeatedly and still can't figure out how you select any input. Hooking up USB cable selected that fortunately so I tested that as you see below. But I could not figure out how to select any other input.

OK, the above is not the worst thing. The worst thing is reliability of the firmware. Airplay was off by default (why? this is a streamer). I turned it on and my Roon player nicely detected it. As soon as I tried to play anything to it, it disappeared from Roon menu and would not come back. Power cycling the DP5 caused it to come back, only to disappear the same. Given this, I could not test any streaming performance.

Even if Airplay did work, it would limit performance to 16 bits which is well below the capabilities of the DAC in this unit. SMSL needs to support Roon. I can get Roon support in a $20 Raspberry Pi. I should be able to get it just as well in this much more expensive device.

There was a System Update option which I selected, only to be told the firmware file is missing. I know desktop products rarely do this but it is time to support network update of the firmware. What was there was version 1.1 by the way.

The back panel shows the myriads of inputs and outputs:
View attachment 88232

Nice to see balanced out which I used exclusively for my testing.

DAC Audio Measurements
By default, the USB interface activates in mass storage mode and you need to go into setup to convert it to USB. Once done, this is our dashboard:

View attachment 88233

It is nice that the output reaches up to 5.6 volts but performance drops as you go above 4 volts or so:

View attachment 88234

Still, good to have the option of higher output.

SINAD at 112 dB is in competent category:

View attachment 88235

I was surprised to see IMD vs level start so good but then degrade toward the end:

View attachment 88236

Is that our ESS IMD Hump but moved to higher level?

Linearity is excellent:

View attachment 88237

I did not see any options to change the DAC filter but the standard one is better than many other choices:

View attachment 88238

Would have been nice to have one that is super sharp and truncates at 22.05 kHz, rather than 24 but this is typical of DAC chip default filters.

Dynamic range was superb:

View attachment 88239

I was surprised to see so much excessive noise and spurious tones in our jitter test:

View attachment 88240

These are not audible artifacts (levels are below -110 dB) but from engineering point of view, is a good step backward from even cheap $100 DACs these days. Likely the Linux subsystem running the networking/streaming software is impacting the DAC performance.

Multitone performance is excellent although the above issue may have degraded it some:

View attachment 88241

Conclusions
The DAC performance of the DP5 is very good to excellent. Alas, I was going to test a streaming device and I could not. Unless I am going blind, lack of simple options like changing inputs shows the product has not been properly tested. When and if that happens, I will test the DP5 again. Until then, I cannot recommend it.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Check out this perfect specimen of a Bosc Pear, peeled and ready to be sliced and dunked in chocolate fondue:

View attachment 88242

As they say in the south, that was good eating!

Massive number of boxes have arrived as of late for testing. So if you have any interest in these grumpy reviews, please consider donating generously using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
How did it perform as a network streamer? Connected to a networked hard drive?

hyfynut

I stream over DLNA from my NAS (Synology, running a customized linux) I am very happy with that. I am against closed systems and protocols like airplay. DLNA is a standard (then well documented and open), also ubiquitous ( smartTVs, AVRs...). For me DLNA should be the protocol to be used for testing streaming, not a particular proprietary one.
100% Test using standard protocols first, proprietary methods second.

twiningstea

How did it perform as a network streamer? Connected to a networked hard drive?
Out of box it works with nas. With modified firmware it works with nas better.

I dont use nas and can not tell all details straight out of my head.

You need to study 4pda forum. There are some nas related points covered. Use google translate to read it.

Top Bottom