• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OK that's perhaps too low, but considering the price of my EX5 (314€ via amazon.de) you can have it for not that much more, if you want the convenience of an integrated device. To each their own, of course, some prefer one solution, some the other, there's nothing wrong with either.
314€? I see a price of 349€. I was in doubt and opted for the Dx3Pro+, smaller, cheaper and even a bit more powerful headphone amp.

capslock

"Using the default filter 1, we get incredibly good performance in our wideband distortion measurement:" So the wideband test was done with the most aggressive filter 1 in place (why they would make this the default filter is beyond me). How was the 1 kHz distortion and SINAD test done, also with filter1 1? I don't see how a different filter would change the impressively low harmonics, but could it change SINAD?

This DAC is obviously great as a signal source for audio measurements (until Cosmos DAC is available), filter or not. Is anyone aware of a cheaper option that will to -140 dB harmonics?

Tks

Major Contributor
This is what an anti-imaging filter should look like:

View attachment 208263

If MOTU can do it, surely every other DAC manufacturer can?
I can't recall the member (maybe it was JohnYang) but he said this filter measurement was falsely measured. Here is the filter for the M4 and the M2. This obviously doesn't make sense.

What that member said was, this is the filter performance of the Windows Resampler, and NOT the device. Given the technical woes of these Motu devices (various revisions, multiple firmware fixes for things like the sort of "device" that windows recognizes out of these Interfaces) I'm inclined to think the filter performance isn't what the device itself is doing for whatever reason as that member postulated.

EDIT: I've dug back and found the source for what I was thinking about. Resident ADC expert bennetng and his post here provides his take on why the filter performance is so good

index.php

index.php

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Does it matter though? Do you still have hearing between 19 and 20 kHz? I sure as heck don't!
It matters. Consistency in all things matter when it comes to testing. Previous devices were tested with the entire audible spectrum. Whether I can hear it wasn't really consequential until a glowing result on the easiest filter all of a sudden is inconsistent with past tests. I'm especially curious as to why. Especially considering the amount of SMSL glowing tests results. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Consistency keeps @amirm honest right?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Well, he did test some things again with Topping LA90 such as 2ohm load, perhaps you can get him to do new measurements with the third filter?

Lupin

RHO

Major Contributor
I also own the DX3 pro.(I use it in pure DAC mode) If it is for pure performance reasons, I would fully agree with your statement.

Wolven

I also own the DX3 pro.(I use it in pure DAC mode) If it is for pure performance reasons, I would fully agree with your statement.
The sinad of our unit is only 106 and it cannot do more than 16 bits due to noise.
So, why would DO100 not provide better sound with high res music?

RHO

Major Contributor
The sinad of our unit is only 106 and it cannot do more than 16 bits due to noise.
I do not think the difference is audible in every day use.
Maybe if you are really looking for that very small difference in a controlled test you will be able to spot it. In normal daily listening sessions, enjoying your music, the upgrade would make no sense to me.
When you don't have a DAC yet, the DO100 would make much more sense.

Bleib

Major Contributor
What? Around 116dB is vastly superior to 16bit audio

RHO

Major Contributor
The original version was 106, not 116
That's still more than CD quality. I don't think many (if any) can hear the difference between CD quality and "high res" audio.
If you need different features, like balanced connections, it would make sense. For audible differences, it would not in my view.

Wolven

That's still more than CD quality. I don't think many (if any) can hear the difference between CD quality and "high res" audio.
If you need different features, like balanced connections, it would make sense. For audible differences, it would not in my view.
As weird as it sounds, I think I actually like the sound of mp3 320 better than cd quality, hahaha. I do have some high res recordings.
I don't need balanced connections.
Does your Dx3pro turn off twice a month too?

RHO

Major Contributor
As weird as it sounds, I think I actually like the sound of mp3 320 better than cd quality, hahaha. I do have some high res recordings.
I don't need balanced connections.
Does your Dx3pro turn off twice a month too?
No, never experienced unexpected shut downs.

Bleib

Major Contributor

Lupin

Sure the original DX3Pro doesn't provide SOTA measurements according to 2022 standards but I don't believe for a moment it is actually going to be an audible issue compared to the SMSL. Just enjoy your music and don't lose yourself in the rabbit hole of ever so slightly higher measured numbers with each new model reviewed that doesn't really have any audible influence.

Wolven

Sure the original DX3Pro doesn't provide SOTA measurements according to 2022 standards but I don't believe for a moment it is actually going to be an audible issue compared to the SMSL. Just enjoy your music and don't lose yourself in the rabbit hole of ever so slightly higher measured numbers with each new model reviewed that doesn't really have any audible influence.
I have only had two dedicated dacs first one audioengine for 6 years and then the topping dx3pro for 4. This, sort of always bothered me. :)
1653379099227.png

Bleib

Major Contributor
Sigh. I'm about to give up. The original DAC vastly outperforms 16 bit audio.
And the main reason you'll likely not notice the difference is because your speakers and headphones have a much poorer SINAD number than the DAC.

In any case, this reviewed DAC is cheap, so if you sell the DX3 pro and update to this it likely will not do harm to you financially. Your choice.

hestejoe

Without making this thread about dx3pro, I would say that at least on SINAD, there is likely no audible difference. Your peaks would have to be above 100 dB before there is even a theoretical gain. At least, that's my understanding

I do, however, think that there could be benefits to go to balanced outs of possible by your speakers. I have the Kali lp-6 v2 and I am considering getting this D0100. I think that Kali lp-6 v2 + D0100 could be about the absolute sweet spot for me. Sure, bigger speakers could yield more power and lower extensions and sure, some DACs are theoretical better but in daily use cases, I would guess that this setup would be more than sufficient for many people.

Top Bottom