• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

boxerfan88

Just for troubleshooting purposes:
  • disconnect subwoofer from DO100
  • connect DO100 RCA out ==> amp RCA in
  • try to replicate the issue by dragging around your volume slider as you've mentioned.

If the popping noises continue then the pops are probably being generated by DO100.
If the popping noises stop then it is likely your XLR-RCA cable may be triggering/contributing to the pops.

bpcf

Just for troubleshooting purposes:
  • disconnect subwoofer from DO100
  • connect DO100 RCA out ==> amp RCA in
  • try to replicate the issue by dragging around your volume slider as you've mentioned.

If the popping noises continue then the pops are probably being generated by DO100.
If the popping noises stop then it is likely your XLR-RCA cable may be triggering/contributing to the pops.
I originally experienced it before the subwoofer was added, when using XLR (w/ RCA)

RCA out to RCA in was/is fine, no pops.

I'd say it's originating from the DO100, but I have not been able to yet rule out if going from balanced to unbalanced is contributing to it, or if the XLR outs themselves are problematic. Until I get ahold of the balanced amp, I won't be able to tell I guess (and I'd have to take a possible risk plugging into the new amp unfortunately, but I may give that a shot).

It's kind of curious that dragging around the volume bar does it. Wonder what that changes in the DAC. It's not like the noises occur when music is playing etc.

bpcf

As an update, it appears like my unit just might be defective. With just balanced XLR to a balanced amp and no more XLR to RCA conversion, the same behavior still exists (primarily in USB2.0 mode). Fortunately I had the foresight to slap on a 20 dB attenuator otherwise there might've been possible damage with no volume control. This one's going back I guess unfortunately.

Riceboy

I'm very new to dac and audio equipment as a whole. Currently my gear consist of Cambridge audio Mxn10, Marantz Pm7005, Kef Q350 and SVS SB2000.

Will I get any sound quality improvements, if I use external dac (and use mxn10 as streamer only)

And which dac do you guys recommend considering my setup.

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm very new to dac and audio equipment as a whole. Currently my gear consist of Cambridge audio Mxn10, Marantz Pm7005, Kef Q350 and SVS SB2000.

Will I get any sound quality improvements, if I use external dac (and use mxn10 as streamer only)

And which dac do you guys recommend considering my setup.

Thanks
Highly unlikely that an external DAC will actually increase sound quality.

You're much better off investing in better speakers, some room treatment, or in a way to apply room correction.

Riceboy

So
Highly unlikely that an external DAC will actually increase sound quality.

You're much better off investing in better speakers, some room treatment, or in a way to apply room correction
Im currently making some glasswool filled acoustic panel for 1st and 2nd reflection.
My room is only 3 meter width 5 meter length, with the speaker facing the length of the room.
Will a skyline diffuser be any help? Or some acoustic panel and bass trap will do just fine? Thank you

staticV3

Master Contributor
So

Im currently making some glasswool filled acoustic panel for 1st and 2nd reflection.
My room is only 3 meter width 5 meter length, with the speaker facing the length of the room.
Will a skyline diffuser be any help? Or some acoustic panel and bass trap will do just fine? Thank you
Due to the coaxial nature, the Q350 has no problematic early reflections to worry about.

Therefore, I would start with addressing room modes and tackle RT60 if required.

Both tremendously benefit from having a measurement microphone.

In general, don't install room treatment just for the sake of it.
Instead, measure your room acoustics, diagnose any potential issues, and apply appropriate treatment to address those issues.

Riceboy

Due to the coaxial nature, the Q350 has no problematic early reflections to worry about.

Therefore, I would start with addressing room modes and tackle RT60 if required.

Both tremendously benefit from having a measurement microphone.

In general, don't install room treatment just for the sake of it.
Instead, measure your room acoustics, diagnose any potential issues, and apply appropriate treatment to address those issues.
Understood. I don't understand room modes and rt60. I will read about it. Thanks

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As an FYI, I cannot say I noted "popping" using a newly acquired DO100 feeding an SH-8s amp, but I did hear some minor clicks when playing a new cut or new playlist. Modifying the xml file as suggested and switching the streaming option to "Always on" fixed that.

Today I noted that I could hear the clicks again. I checked the control panel and the streaming option was reset to "On when needed." :confused:

I then remembered that I disconnected several USB cables from the back of my desktop to install a new drive this week, and as I must have swapped the cable to the DO100 into a different port, I see Win10 now shows it as "2-SMSL USB DAC".

My guess is it that resulted in the options in the XMOS control panel being reset.

Riceboy

I just bought this DO100 and am wandering whether I can use the XLR out to buckeye purify amp and the RCA to SVS Sb2000?

If yes, will both output respond to the volume control if I use preamp mode in the Do100? How do I set the unit to preamp mode? I can't seems to find it on the manual

Thanks

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I just bought this DO100 and am wandering whether I can use the XLR out to buckeye purify amp and the RCA to SVS Sb2000?

If yes, will both output respond to the volume control if I use preamp mode in the Do100? How do I set the unit to preamp mode? I can't seems to find it on the manual

Thanks

For a test I connected my DO100 via RCA to some desktop monitors at the same time the XLRs were connected to my SH-8s headphone amp and both outputs were active at the same time.

You can't find a "preamp mode" setting because no "pure DAC" fixed output mode is available on the DO100. It's always in preamp (= volume control is active) mode.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes.

If yes, will both output respond to the volume control if I use preamp mode in the Do100?
Yes.

How do I set the unit to preamp mode?
When you cycle through the different settings in the menu, is there not one that says DAC or PRE?
If not, is it possible that the DO100 is permanently in Pre mode?

Nothing happens when turn the knob or press volume up/down on the remote?

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I was surprised that no DAC mode was available on the DO100. I bought it only as it was available used at a good price and I wanted to see if the balanced connections solved a low-level noise problem I had with a couple of unbalanced DACs with my headphone amp. Never thought to check out all the options before buying, but not having a pure DAC mode is no big deal to me, volume control is set to max and it stays there all the time. My new monitors are the Kali LP-UNF connected via USB so I don't need to have them connected to the DO100's RCAs--that was only a test when I was trying to diagnose the USB-related noise issues with my first pair of the Kalis.

Riceboy

For a test I connected my DO100 via RCA to some desktop monitors at the same time the XLRs were connected to my SH-8s headphone amp and both outputs were active at the same time.

You can't find a "preamp mode" setting because no "pure DAC" fixed output mode is available on the DO100. It's always in preamp (= volume control is active) mode.
thank you

Yes.

Yes.

When you cycle through the different settings in the menu, is there not one that says DAC or PRE?
If not, is it possible that the DO100 is permanently in Pre mode?

Nothing happens when turn the knob or press volume up/down on the remote?
no, there is nothing in the menu regarding pure dac and preamp option
setting the volume to 99 looks to be the only option

sejarzo

Forum Donor
no, there is nothing in the menu regarding pure dac and preamp option
setting the volume to 99 looks to be the only option

Forgot to note that actually isn't a really bad thing for users who run the output directly to a power amp. There's no way that a pure DAC/full output option can be selected by accident when fumbling through the options with the limited display interface. Amir obviously tested it with the volume set to 99 and the results speak for themselves, right?

JyPay

Received the unit yesterday morning. Pairing it with my Topping PA5 II plus on XLR. After three hours listening my favorite music I am really happy with those two.

Riceboy

This may sound like I'm asking the obvious, but since i never use XLR before, i read the DO100 XLR output is 4v and Buckeye medium gain is 4v on 8 ohm

so i should set the Buckeye amp gain to medium. am i right?

thanks

sejarzo

Forum Donor
This may sound like I'm asking the obvious, but since i never use XLR before, i read the DO100 XLR output is 4v and Buckeye medium gain is 4v on 8 ohm

so i should set the Buckeye amp gain to medium. am i right?

thanks

Where did you read that about the Buckeye? Gain is in dB, not voltage.

Top Bottom