• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
This may sound like I'm asking the obvious, but since i never use XLR before, i read the DO100 XLR output is 4v and Buckeye medium gain is 4v on 8 ohm

so i should set the Buckeye amp gain to medium. am i right?

thanks
With Amplifiers, always use the lowest gain that still gives you satisfying volume.

No matter if RCA or XLR, 2V or 4V, 4Ω or 8Ω.

staticV3

Master Contributor
actually it is written on a piece of paper that Dylan send with the amp
high is 2Vrms
mid is 4Vrms
low is 6 or 7Vrms something if i remember correctly
That's the input sensitivity, which means the input voltage required to reach rated output.

Still, if you already own a DAC and Amp, you can safely dismiss all of that.
Use the lowest gain that still gives you satisfying volume.

It is really that simple.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
actually it is written on a piece of paper that Dylan send with the amp
high is 2Vrms
mid is 4Vrms
low is 6 or 7Vrms something if i remember correctly

Which model?

I took a look at the website and see for the Hypex NCx500 2-Channel that he lists an input voltage along with the gain in dB. I get why he does that, it makes it easier to see the input voltage required to reach maximum output voltage for either 4 or 8 ohm loads.

Riceboy

That's the input sensitivity, which means the input voltage required to reach rated output.

Still, if you already own a DAC and Amp, you can safely dismiss all of that.
Use the lowest gain that still gives you satisfying volume.

It is really that simple.
Thank you very much, so i should set it to low right?
Which model?

I took a look at the website and see for the Hypex NCx500 2-Channel that he lists an input voltage along with the gain in dB. I get why he does that, it makes it easier to see the input voltage required to reach maximum output voltage for either 4 or 8 ohm loads.
the 3ch purifi

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the 3ch purifi

The spec on the page for that amp at 8 ohms is:

• 8 ohm - 25.5dB/2.3Vrms (High), 20.5dB/4.0Vrms (Medium), 15.5dB/7.1Vrms (Low)

A gain of 15.5 dB applied to a 4Vrms input into a nominal 8 ohm load is 72 Wrms or 100 W peak power, ample for most situations.

Pulkass

With Amplifiers, always use the lowest gain that still gives you satisfying volume.

No matter if RCA or XLR, 2V or 4V, 4Ω or 8Ω.
MIne goes into the Topping pre 90-via xlr--pre amp---then signAl goes to electronic x over then to 4 amps--all xlr cables-no overdriving saturation---excellent dac. Breath taking-

I ordered the DO 100 Pro to replace the SU-1 I am using. The SU-1 is good, but after hearing the DL200 in my other system, I want to upgrade from the SU-1 to something better. I guess this thread is about the original DO100, not the Pro...

Last edited:
Top Bottom