• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smartphones will kill off DSLR's soon/

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you not allowed to use iPhones on trains?
I am afraid I created a sub-thread unintentionally by mistakenly saying travel mode instead of airplane mode. The "all wireless radios" off mode is called airplane mode on iPhone as well as on Android.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Airplane mode turns off the radios. Android Auto pushes comms through your car integration. Apple assumes you can talk undistracted, the Uber driver isn't paying attention.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mansr

Major Contributor
What you see is a lens and grip structure. The camera is an iPhone. What is different when you mount a big lens, shades and a tripod to a DSLR body like in the image I posted above.
A DSLR doesn't work without a lens, and a grip is a perfectly normal accessory, especially for shooting video. Both are highly unusual for use with a smartphone. The only photo-related accessory people are likely to buy for their phones is the dreaded selfie stick (is that still a thing?).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A DSLR doesn't work without a lens, and a grip is a perfectly normal accessory, especially for shooting video. Both are highly unusual for use with a smartphone. The only photo-related accessory people are likely to buy for their phones is the dreaded selfie stick (is that still a thing?).
Your knowledge of the market is limited, it seems. There’s a huge aftermarket for iPhone photography.

Like the vast majority of DSLR users who have never bought any other lens other than the 50mm that came with the camera, the vast majority smartphone users won’t buy any accessory.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have a Pixel phone so I'm not privy to all the features of the Apple jail. Universe. :oops:
I believe that the term of art is ecosystem.
:cool:

Apple is (Henry's) Ford of the modern era. Any colo(u)r you like, as long as it is white. OK, sleek and white. You see what I'm gettin' at.
;)

EDIT: The Model T Ecosystem was a big deal for a little over two decades.
How long as the iPhone been around?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe that the term of art is ecosystem.
:cool:

Apple is (Henry's) Ford of the modern era. Any colo(u)r you like, as long as it is white. OK, sleek and white. You see what I'm gettin' at.
;)

EDIT: The Model T Ecosystem was a big deal for a little over two decades.
How long as the iPhone been around?
iPhone was introduced in 2007, been around not far less than Model T, and limited colours objection is getting tired.

CA224C8A-62CE-47F4-8D9F-C74340A2EA66.jpeg

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
not tested my rubbish smart phone outside yet with XYZ that attaches to the telescope . rather use the Canon 750D DLSR

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Actually, and just to be accurate, very early Model T Fords were also offered in multiple colors.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Model Ts were offered in multiple colours too towards the end ;)
Yeah, the point in Apple's case isn't color -- it's attitude. Ford had a pretty similar attitude.
History shows us that democratic leaders using consensus had not been success in developing technologies or products.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, and just to be accurate, very early Model T Fords were also offered in multiple colors.
Where did the famous phrase came about then?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Where did the famous phrase came about then?
Ford moved to a single color to cut costs fairly early on (ca. 1910) in the T's history.
There were, of course, complaints about the lack of choice, to which he (reputedly) responded the customers can have any color they like, as long as its black.

My knowledge of the Model T comes mostly from a good (but, I am sure, "whitewashed") old book by Floyd Clymer called Henry's Wonderful Model T.

1391045021.0.x.jpg

We did have a friend in Harvard who had one. He's no longer around, though.
We do have a friend here in NH with a Model A, but it's got four wheel brakes, balloon tires, and it's not even black. True to its Ford heritage, though -- it has mechanical brakes. :)

... but I digress.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually more than a few buy less elaborate units for photos. Will include a tripod, phone holder and external lights or flash. Won't have lens on them or cost as much.

or

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
Actually more than a few buy less elaborate units for photos. Will include a tripod, phone holder and external lights or flash. Won't have lens on them or cost as much.
OK, I have seen a few flimsy-looking stands and external LED lights for sale on Amazon, though I've never seen anyone use them. I guess they're aimed at people posting make-up videos and such on Youtube. The point remains that NOBODY is running around with their smartphone strapped to a gigantic lens like the one pictured above.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I have seen a few flimsy-looking stands and external LED lights for sale on Amazon, though I've never seen anyone use them. I guess they're aimed at people posting make-up videos and such on Youtube. The point remains that NOBODY is running around with their smartphone strapped to a gigantic lens like the one pictured above.
They are probably most used for video usually for podcasts sometimes other things. I've seen people bring them out to do video at some events like graduation or wedding receptions. They also allow you to do some quite decent portrait photography. Not replacing DSLR's, but for someone who has a use they further erode the occasional need for a DSLR. I've used a holder that fits my Bogen tripods to do video a couple times. Better result than my older DSLR.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The point is you do not know the market. You are commenting with no knowledge and assume people you see at the places you go are representative of a market.

mansr

Major Contributor
The point is you do not know the market. You are commenting with no knowledge and assume people you see at the places you go are representative of a market.
If I spend a few minutes walking around the city, I will see thousands of people using smartphones. I assume they are somewhat representative of the market for such devices. It's not uncommon to see people with DSLRs either. If those strap-on appendages for phones were as common as you intimate them to be, I should be seeing them at least once a week. I'm not. Maybe they're really common in your end of town; I don't usually venture there. Be that as it may, those "shot on iPhone" adverts are clearly intended to imply that such image quality is readily achievable without lugging around a small photo studio. It's not. Therefore, the adverts are misleading.

Top Bottom