• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smartphones will kill off DSLR's soon/

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'd almost say for personal use email is going out of style. Texting is somewhere between a phone call and email. For many casual purposes texting fits. Of course I do have my phone with me most of the time.
Very true but I just can't get into it, too old and stuck in certain ways I guess.
For one I'm just not a phone person anyhow, I hate talking on the phone.
I still prefer the days when the phone was on the wall at home.
I'll answer it if I'm home (maybe) or leave a message on the machine.
I was very late in getting a cell phone period, and really only did as a safety measure.
Something to use in an emergency if I had a problem while out on my motorcycle specially.
It came in super handy when I got a flat while out riding the back highways in Michigan back around 2006 or 07.
The first thing I grab when leaving the house is my pistol, then the wallet, then my cell if I remember it. LOL

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, texting cracks me up. My kids are constantly texting, but if you think about it, texting is the modern equivalent of a 19th century telegraph, the significant difference being one technology is wired while the other is wireless. The average person texts 36 words per minute, while a person easily speaks between 150-200 words per minute. Texting is probably the best example of back-to-the-future there is.
I can text about 12 words a minute if I focus 100% on texting. But then I cannot be doing anything else, which is rarely the case.

And texting requires the use of my hands. Not something that I have time for 99.99% of the time, as I am usually doing something that requires me to be using my hands.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very true but I just can't get into it, too old and stuck in certain ways I guess.
For one I'm just not a phone person anyhow, I hate talking on the phone.
I still prefer the days when the phone was on the wall at home.
I'll answer it if I'm home (maybe) or leave a message on the machine.
I was very late in getting a cell phone period, and really only did as a safety measure.
Something to use in an emergency if I had a problem while out on my motorcycle specially.
It came in super handy when I got a flat while out riding the back highways in Michigan back around 2006 or 07.
The first thing I grab when leaving the house is my pistol, then the wallet, then my cell if I remember it. LOL
All it is is an electronic leash. A phone is for MY (yes, I am selfish about my time) convenience, not someone else's convenience to interrupt me (and I do not let it interrupt me. Typically (If I am in fact carrying the phone) the ringer is off (it is set to vibrate) but I am usually doing things that have their own vibrations (boating, riding horses, equipment or some other rigorous activity. Sitting still is something that I do when I am asleep. Talking on the phone is something that can be done hands free. That is pretty much the only scenario in which I can use a phone. Hands free. If you can't be bothered to talk to me, I certainly can't be bothered to text you. (The ability to photo comes in handy once in a while though.

Top Bottom