• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smartphones will kill off DSLR's soon/

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They are *very* capable cameras though. Like with everything, either you like the design or you don't. (I don't own one). I also hear they are very manual. So not a good choice for the average hipster. :)
The X-Pro 3 is twice the price of the XT-3 but offers no more performance. You're paying for style. In this case I think the hipster target market is pretty evident.

mansr

Major Contributor
They are *very* capable cameras though. Like with everything, either you like the design or you don't. (I don't own one). I also hear they are very manual. So not a good choice for the average hipster. :)
I can't fault them on image quality. Still, I prefer a camera where the ergonomics aren't constrained by mechanical contraptions not actually present within it.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Hipster or not, there was a strong retro-looking-vibe-thing going on back when I was following all that stuff in the mid 2Ks.
[emphasis added]

2050s? or 2500s?

B1b+IdTI5hS._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C71p6dRbIDcL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_SX466._SX._UX._SY._UY_.png

;)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Speaking of which, I am actually going to come back on topic.
Mrs. H & I were just outside collecting the bird feeders for the evening (so that they don't become bear feeders :facepalm:)
I was thinking about the last two nights, when I was out amusing myself taking photos of the fireflies ("lightning bugs", in the parlance of Baltimore, where I grew up).

It would be interesting to see what folks are doing with their cell phones vis-a-vis lightning bug photos.
Any of y'all got any?

I will never claim that my photos are good technically nor aesthetically, but I enjoy taking them. I really cannot imagine taking them with anything that doesn't allow manual exposure parameter settings -- but I am pretty naïve of smart phone apps or capabilities.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gear fetishism is alive and well in photography too!
Is there a single area where it is not? Let's be honest. At least the Fuji cameras have specs and performance that justify any so inclined photographer to consider the portfolio. So do Leicas even. If you got the money, pick what pleases you and what has been measured to performs very well. And if you shoot in Auto mode with any of those, well, you wasted your $ but who am I to judge..

From many reviews in this website, we know that's not always the case in audiophilia... I have never read a digital camera review that uses as many meaningless subjective cr*p as we hear from audio reviews. DSLR gear *performs* in measurements, otherwise it is stillborn. This website is trying to set a similar standard in audiophilia, but we're far from there.

I don't condemn irrational personal preferences at all. 99.99% of people that buy a Ferrari or Bugatti or Lamborghini etc or a top end Ducati or BMW or MV Augusta motorcycle haven't 10% of the skill to drive or ride those anywhere near their performance limits, either. They have passion mostly. I do think things are more rational in photography these days, Leica haters may disagree. (I don't own Fuji or Leica gear)

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Those are obviously carefully arranged to provide optimal conditions for the phone camera.
Or they were simply shot using different cameras. Huawei and Samsung were caught doing that. Others probably also do the same. Don't think Apple does that, but they have tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment on set to make it look good. It's all about lightning.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't think Apple does that, but they have tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment on set to make it look good. It's all about lightning.
Then again there are the "shot by iPhone" competitions where Apple employees are not allowed.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
It's not a phone, it's a device. I don't think any of the cool kids talk on them. They might talk to them, but not on them.
;)
Uh yeah, now I remember. Now pardon me while I connect the twine between the tin cans so I can talk to my wife. :rolleyes:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Pixel phone so I'm not privy to all the features of the Apple jail. Universe. :oops:
Its called airplane mode on yours. Google's view of travel is only on a plane.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Its called airplane mode on yours. Google's view of travel is only on a plane.
How quaint. Like me I guess. Obsolete but quaint. :eek:

And by the way, don't you slobs have anything else to do on a Saturday morning, like cut the grass? :cool:

Top Bottom