• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Slim Subwoofer recommendation

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
Either way it's likely that a subwoofer will help this dip, but it needs to be crossed above the dip. And as others have mentioned, if you place the subwoofer at equal distance from whatever wall is causing the dip, you may get the same dip from the subwoofer as well.
yea I noticed that part and mostly accept that it's likely there, just tempted if the sub can make the bass response full.

TBH before measurement I don't expect the L+R total measurement to be this good in an untreated, broadcast truck sized room full of random stuffs. especially the 100hz+ frequency of both speakers tracked quite well and below 120hz I think we can't locate the sound in the spatial sense, so the L+R response below ~120hz should matter more than individual response?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
yea I noticed that part and mostly accept that it's likely there, just tempted if the sub can make the bass response full.

TBH before measurement I don't expect the L+R total measurement to be this good in an untreated, broadcast truck sized room full of random stuffs. especially the 100hz+ frequency of both speakers tracked quite well and below 120hz I think we can't locate the sound in the spatial sense, so the L+R response below ~120hz should matter more than individual response?

Having the room full of random stuff is way better than an empty room. :) Think of the stuff your wife adds to the room as "natural diffusors". :D
And a subwoofer will of course add significantly to your low end extension, so even if the dip doesn't disappear alltogether it will sound completely different. Yes, the combined response is what matters.

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
Having the room full of random stuff is way better than an empty room. :) Think of the stuff your wife adds to the room as "natural diffusors". :D
And a subwoofer will of course add significantly to your low end extension, so even if the dip doesn't disappear alltogether it will sound completely different. Yes, the combined response is what matters.
it did saved me a lot of money for the bass traps:D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
While sitting at a desk is limited to begin with, there are some inexpensive small form "subs". Something like this https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1238/sub-1000l-10-100-watt-low-profile-powered-subwoofer Looks foot proof for the most part.

Those from sigber look nice but awfully expensive, not sure I'd want to pay that much for form factor, and would still like to see 3rd party measurements of them as well.

If it helps we aim to launch a subwoofer with a more traditional form factor this year, and rest assured it will be just as expensive. :D

In other words you don't really pay for the form factor, you pay for quality workmanship and high-end components. If it is worth the money is of course up to potential buyers to consider. :)

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
While sitting at a desk is limited to begin with, there are some inexpensive small form "subs". Something like this https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1238/sub-1000l-10-100-watt-low-profile-powered-subwoofer Looks foot proof for the most part.

Those from sigber look nice but awfully expensive, not sure I'd want to pay that much for form factor, and would still like to see 3rd party measurements of them as well.
For an active sub with that good measurements (of coz, there’s always chance there are measurements scam from manufacturers but I tend to trust members here) with user customisable cross over with elegant look to blend into the home it looks like it’s worth it, see how the genelec 73xx are priced not far. We all know that the parts alone don’t remotely worth that much but the designers need to feed themselves so even though likely I can’t afford it still looks very interesting

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
Could you share 10-200hz without smoothing as well? :)
L_unsmooth.PNG
R_unsmooth.PNG

so here it is

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
so since you have that peak at 60hz as well, that actually makes the dip look worse than it is. Again it's very common to have dips in this area, so one approach is to just stop looking at the graphs. :)

If it helps, here's the response from our test room in the making, got a dip at around 100hz here as well, and another a bit further up.

1610716248293.png

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
so since you have that peak at 60hz as well, that actually makes the dip look worse than it is. Again it's very common to have dips in this area, so one approach is to just stop looking at the graphs. :)

If it helps, here's the response from our test room in the making, got a dip at around 100hz here as well, and another a bit further up.

View attachment 106226
the 60hz peak should be in what preferred in room response no? just the dip is a bit severe, I do agree that in real listening I didn't notice that but well, I believe adding a sub is more on getting what's there and geeky more than actual feeling lack of something

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
the 60hz peak should be in what preferred in room response no? just the dip is a bit severe, I do agree that in real listening I didn't notice that but well, I believe adding a sub is more on getting what's there and geeky more than actual feeling lack of something

Adding a subwoofer will be a significant difference, but mostly due to added low end extension, not because it fills out that dip.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If it helps we aim to launch a subwoofer with a more traditional form factor this year, and rest assured it will be just as expensive. :D

In other words you don't really pay for the form factor, you pay for quality workmanship and high-end components. If it is worth the money is of course up to potential buyers to consider. :)

Thanks but I'll still diy for that kind of money :) Wish you success in any case.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Would love to see measurements on that from Amir or Erin.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Would love to see measurements on that from Amir or Erin.

We've already shared both indoor and groundplane measurements as well as CEA2010 measurements on these in a thread in the desperate dealers area here on the forum, which is pretty much what you'd get from such a test. But you have to take my word for it actually being accurate of course, so I see how it would be good to get third party measurements. We've had a few magazine reviews, but none who've done measurements so far.

Top Bottom