• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer for music only, for placement in corner, 700€ Budget

Ma-ik

Hello everyone!!!

I would like to add a 10-12 inch subwoofer to my pair of bookshelf speakers B&W 607 S3 that i recently bought to the living room (I had a good deal).

my living room is an open and wide space connected with a dining area, 6 X 3.60 meters.

i only use this system for listening to music, and mainly for electronic music, tech house, breaks and stuff like.. so of course it's important to me that the bass will be punchy, but also important to me is the resolution and depth of the bass (Probably equally important :) )

There is also a size limitation and not every size can fit where I am going to place the subwoofer. (I chose the options below by size as well)

the problem starts with the location, in my case i can only place it in the corner, so my dilemma is an sealed or ported subwoofer ? , which do you think would be more forgiving for placement in the corners but still will give me a good result for my type of music and my room size?

Options I thought about:

B&W ASW610 - sealed
Kef Kube 10B - sealed
SVS SB1000 Pro - sealed
Paradigm Defiance V10 - ported
Martin Logan Dynamo 600X - ported

Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you :)

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use a pair 12" BK XXLS400FFs. They get great reviews and if you are based in Europe then they may be better value than American options as they are made in the UK.

OP
M

Ma-ik

I'm not located in Europe unfortunately, more towards Asia :)
and I need to correct the title because after calculating again, all the subs I mentioned cost here 800€

XXLS400FF Looks good, but not shipped to my country unfortunately

9800pro

ASW610 is a really old model but should be good.
Kube 10b is also old model, new one 10MIE is out, check that one out.
I have Kube 10b, got it instead of SVS sb-1000 pro. For me, it's better for music then SVS. SVS rocks for movies but only if it plays nice with your room.
The other two i don't have experience.
If you don't plan to use AVR then maybe SVS is a better option with build it DSP and app, so you can resolve possible issues with corner placement.

OP
M

Ma-ik

Hey buddy thanks for reviving the post :)
out of curiosity, what didn't you like about SVS sb-1000 pro?
I was thinking of it as an option as well as the REL ht1003 mk2..do you only use the sub for music as well? I would love to hear what you think about the sb-1000 pro.

OP
M

Ma-ik

the kef kube 10MIE looks very interesting but quite similar to the previous one, I will check what the differences are, thank you ..

9800pro

I could detect SVS in the room while listening, the sound was off with music.
Kick bass was not natural. Every time I was listening to the music I was like " ah, here it is..."
KEF blends better, new should even more. MIE stands for Music Integrity Engine :)
REL 1003 mk2 should also be a very good subwoofer...
But, if possible try to demo them, don't buy solely on comments here in forum.

madrac

One of the Rythmik offerings in this your budget if they ship to your locale

Willem

Major Contributor
Subwoofer pricing is very region specific. Here in Europe the Kef Kube series are a good buy, but maybe not on other continents. With subs, you invariably get two out of three: power/extension, price, and size. The Kube series are KEF's budget line, so they are relatively large for their performance. If size matters, the dual opposed Kef models are more attractive, but they are pricey. You cannot have it all.
Finally, for good quality bass you should preferably have at least two subwoofers, and use dsp room equalization of one kind or another. This has a much bigger sonic impact than potential differences between subs.

Last edited:
OP
M

Ma-ik

madrac - L12 seems like a good option i saw it too but then unfortunately i came across this message at checkout: "International customers: US Postal Service no longer provides surface shipping abroad."

9800pro - Thank you! actually i listened to the sb1000 pro and it really felt weak to me even at 0db, maybe it's the settings on the amplifier it was connected to in the store..unfortunately in my country it is difficult to find all these models for demonstration, for example kef kube10b is exists on stock but I did not find in any store a display unit that can be connected and tested.
there is probably the old model of REL ht1003 for demo, maybe you know how different is it from the mk2?
svs sb1000 pro is probably the easiest model to find here for demo..
i also looked at the ported XTZ 10.17 edge but then I encountered all kinds of complaints about port coughing (?!?)
i wish I could demo each of these models it would make everything so much easier..

Willem - just so you have an idea of the price range in my country:

kube 10b - $830
sb1000 pro (gloss black) - $860
asw610 - $1100
$900 - dynamo 600X

as you can see, these are not exactly the prices known in the US or europe...unfortunately

OP
M

Ma-ik

And it's important to note that they don't really support the try it at home policy here..

OP
M

Ma-ik

I can order an ht1003 mk2 from music direct, it comes out to me around $950 including everything..

OP
M

Ma-ik

You are absolutely right and it looks very tempting (I was very close to purchasing it) on the other hand some claim that all the digital processing in this sub makes it sound less good than those that are more analog like for example the ht1003 mk2, but I do not rule out the possibility that in this case I swallowed the marketing ...hahaha
I will probably have to do another demo for the sb1000 pro..

OP
M

Ma-ik

The only thing that bothers me about the kube 10MIE is that it is all wrapped in fabric, not something that is long lasting like mdf with vinyl wrap

OP
M

Ma-ik

on the other hand I hate the wooden finish of svs and the gloss finish attracts fingerprints like crazy, not something for those with ocd

Top Bottom