• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub Advice for Genelec 8350

montyliam

Hi guys, I’m currently running two Genelec 8350s and loving them. They are currently running off of a Denon AVR4400H receiver. I am looking at selling the receiver and moving to a 2.1 setup for a while. My room is really not optimal for a full surround setup, and I’m listening to mostly music these days with the occasional weekend film. I want to add a subwoofer to the setup to extend the bass from the monitors, and provide that tactile force from films. My room is very small, 30m3 and I already know from measurements the location the subwoofer will go in (under the desk at the back). I am looking at the following options:

Arendal 1S using the Minidsp Flex - £1900
Perlisten D12S using Minidsp Flex - £3600
Genelec 7370a subwoofer using some sort of USB to AES converter for digital audio with GLM ~ £3000
Custom 15” sealed subwoofer using B&C 15DS115, Hypex FA502 and the Minidsp SHD digital for all digital inputs £2000

I think there are positives and negatives to each option. The Arendal option is attractive due to price and confirmed excellent performance. The Perlisten should be a step up from the Arendal, but at almost double the cost will it be that much better? Genelec subwoofer is the least attractive option to me, based on the specs of the subwoofer for the high price, but GLM and digital inputs are attractive. Finally the DIY option, which would allow me to use the SHD digital with Dirac Live correction. This is attractive but I am not a huge fan of DIY so would probably get the boxes built for me which would drive up the cost another couple hundred quid.

To be clear, I am looking for high spl capabilities (around 115db peaks from 20-100hz) and low distortion. I am also considering the Arendal 1V, which seems like it would provide more output than any of the options above albeit in a larger cabinet (which can be accommodated but isn’t ideal). It’s a shame there aren’t more commercial sub offerings with digital inputs, but I’m not sure how much of a benefit this would be given the Minidsp Flex is pretty much transparent anyway.

So this really comes down to the Flex without Dirac and analogue outputs vs rhe SHD digital with Dirac .3 and AES outputs, but I would only be able to do this option with the DIY sub.

Any help is appreciated! Many thanks, Liam

Attachments

• IMG_9813.jpeg
    IMG_9813.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 199

auricom

I'm not expert, but have read quite a lot of these, and other forums lately. I would stick with Genelec SAM sub (or 2), if you have Genelec SAM speakers. Otherwise it's not ideal setup (or purchase). If that is too much (I think it is), maybe sell your speakers, and get something bigger from Genelec, or other brand.
Or try to find used Genelec sub.
I mean, if you are not going to use GLM, you could have saved 1000 with Genelec 8050B/ used 8050A.

Last edited:

Elder

I would have a hard time passing up on getting the matching Genelec subwoofer. Even though it's possible to get good integration between speakers and sub without GLM, I would always be second guessing if GLM could have done a better job. Probably disregard this though if you are some kind of REW/measurement taking pro.

Genelec and Neumann are the brands I'm most interested in these days, partly due to their GLM/MA1 systems and ability to properly align subwoofers. Just really sucks that both brands have such poor value subwoofers, it really is the main downside to me.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just make it easy for yourself and go with a Genelec sub. You would probably be just fine with the 7360 in that room, but by all means get the 7370 for peace of mind.

I'm using the 7360 with 8350s myself in a similar room and while I haven't measured if I could hit 115dB peaks I can't imagine pushing this setup anywhere close to their limits. If there is any distortion it will be masked by my cupboards and other furniture resonating. GLM is pulling the main speakers down by 5dB so I guess that tells that the sub is limiting factor, but I think I can live with that. If you can't get the bigger one.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just make it easy for yourself and go with a Genelec sub. You would probably be just fine with the 7360 in that room, but by all means get the 7370 for peace of mind.
Two 7360s would have more power and better room coverage than one 7370, with the same 15Hz and up response, so I would go with one first and then add a second one

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two 7360s would have more power and better room coverage than one 7370, with the same 15Hz and up response, so I would go with one first and then add a second one
Very true. I think I would eventually go with second one just because why not, but those are not easy to fit in a small room. The 7370 is huge, I don't see how that could fit under a desk without compromising leg space. :D

OP
M

montyliam

I'm not expert, but have read quite a lot of these, and other forums lately. I would stick with Genelec SAM sub (or 2), if you have Genelec SAM speakers. Otherwise it's not ideal setup (or purchase). If that is too much (I think it is), maybe sell your speakers, and get something bigger from Genelec, or other brand.
Or try to find used Genelec sub.
I mean, if you are not going to use GLM, you could have saved 1000 with Genelec 8050B/ used 8050A.
I am not interested in changing the speakers. The difference between the 8350 vs the 8050b was around £300 per speaker. The 8350 is clearly the better speaker, especially for a little extra. I might like you say wait for a used Genelec subwoofer to come up, I saw the 7380a sell for £2200 on here a while ago!

OP
M

montyliam

I am not interested dual subs for this room, I have very flat measured response with just one sub at my listening position!

Top Bottom