• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

pouni

Nope. I would buy the Singxer SA1 again.

I'm looking at the Burson Soloist 3x performance for another headphone setup in another room. But I have nothing to complain about the SA1.

View attachment 182951
Sounds great! Would you also have a recommendation regarding a DAC? I use a Topping D30 Pro at the moment but if you have a DAC that you would call a great combination to the Noire and the SA1 I would be very happy!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Sounds great! Would you also have a recommendation regarding a DAC? I use a Topping D30 Pro at the moment but if you have a DAC that you would call a great combination to the Noire and the SA1 I would be very happy!

I'm using the SMSL D300. Sounds pretty good with Qobuz.

I also have a Cambridge Cxn V2 with a older dual Wolfson DAC and I couldn't really hear much of a difference.

Jmm22

Nope. I would buy the Singxer SA1 again.

I'm looking at the Burson Soloist 3x performance for another headphone setup in another room. But I have nothing to complain about the SA1.

View attachment 182951
FYI I saw a thread on another forum (don’t recall which) where a Soloist killed the drivers on a Susvara and a few others reported their headphones being destroyed by it.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
FYI I saw a thread on another forum (don’t recall which) where a Soloist killed the drivers on a Susvara and a few others reported their headphones being destroyed by it.
Yeah I saw that too.
The Burson has no DC offset.

That means if you leave the amp at a high volume And plug headphones in you will hear a loud pop.

At least some people Said that would be the case.

But could be that a op-amp was not fully connected in that unit. I think that person changed the cables around and killed the second driver in his headphones.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Yeah I saw that too.
The Burson has no DC offset.

That means if you leave the amp at a high volume And plug headphones in you will hear a loud pop.

At least some people Said that would be the case.

But could be that a op-amp was not fully connected in that unit. I think that person changed the cables around and killed the second driver in his headphones.
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/burson-soloist-3x/ in Wolf's review (use google translate or something) he notes DC in the output for ~10 minutes!! You should have no headphones connected when turning it on or off, and ideally wait a while before using it. What an amp! o_Oo_O

Snoopy

Major Contributor
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/burson-soloist-3x/ in Wolf's review (use google translate or something) he notes DC in the output for ~10 minutes!! You should have no headphones connected when turning it on or off, and ideally wait a while before using it. What an amp! o_Oo_O

Yeah I did read something about 15 minutes at headfi. And someone did measures the DC output in mVolt? Or something. (I'm not that knowledgeable about this stuff) but the Burson did vary over time and there was a channel imbalance as well.

But if you look at other detailed reviews about some amps you would get nightmares when it comes to safety. Like no ground at all. From what I've read tube Headphone amps are able to randomly kill headphones as well.

Fluxlabs has no ground as well. It's not a requirement in some countries but doesn't make me feel like buying such a device.

pouni

So I am in my final thoughts to decide if I should buy the Singxer SA-1 or the Topping A90 to pair it with my Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire. I have read that the SA-1 is a class A amplifier that sometimes switches to class B when it has to get to its higher amplification levels. As the Aeon 2 Noire is a pretty hard to drive headphone I am now a little bit afraid if I would have these drops to class B amplification when I get to high amplification levels and if this would result in different sound qualities or sound styles. Could anyone help me here?

Celty

So I am in my final thoughts to decide if I should buy the Singxer SA-1 or the Topping A90 to pair it with my Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire. I have read that the SA-1 is a class A amplifier that sometimes switches to class B when it has to get to its higher amplification levels. As the Aeon 2 Noire is a pretty hard to drive headphone I am now a little bit afraid if I would have these drops to class B amplification when I get to high amplification levels and if this would result in different sound qualities or sound styles. Could anyone help me here?
There is no problem driving my HD6XX or ZMF Auteur to any tolerable volume levels, with no degradation in sound quality. My little old DAC feeds the SA-1 at 4 volts, and from reviews I understand a DAC that can output 5 volts or so is a benefit to this amp. Not having listened to an A90 I cannot give any input there.

captainspork

I've had the pleasure of using this great amp for a few weeks now and wanted to post some brief impressions. One interesting angle is that I've used it in all of its I/O configurations, gradually moving from the worst to best configuration. Equipment used is LSR305 with the 310 subwoofer, and HD6XX.

Unbalanced in/Unbalanced out - Compared to the Little Dot Mk3 headphone amp/pre-amp I was using before, I immediately noticed a really pleasing, smooth texture to the lower registers (everything from bass drums to bass guitars), and better detail.

Unbalanced in/Balanced out - Now noticing this amp really "singxing" (sorry), with a fullness through the entire frequency range that wasn't present with the SE out.

Balanced in/Balanced out - I also upgraded my DAC from a really old JDS Labs ODAC to a Topping D10 Balanced. Absolutely loving this setup, and noticing a lot of additional clarity. The detail around vocalist's vibratos for example is really apparent.

Overall I'm loving this configuration, and feel like it has achieved something I've wanted for a long time - a high level of detail and clarity but with warm and pleasing tonal qualities. Also worth noting that between my headphones and speakers, I'm actually enjoying the 305/310 combo with the amp in pre mode the most. I think it's hard to get away from what this rather musical subwoofer adds to the experience.

Cisco150

Hi Guys Just Ordered the VMV D1SE would the sp200 work with this Dac or should I get this Singer-SA-1 to go well. Thanks for the help chat.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi Guys Just Ordered the VMV D1SE would the sp200 work with this Dac or should I get this Singer-SA-1 to go well. Thanks for the help chat.
Do you already have the SP200?

Cisco150

Do you already have the SP200?
Yea I have it for couple weeks and paid about what drop had it for latest price, running it off my pc z390 master motherboard no dac with 3.5mm to rca. I have Hifiman Ananda. And ordered the D1SE Dac. Is the SMSL M400 better then the D1SE if the m400 cost $120 more.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Yea I have it for couple weeks and paid about what drop had it for latest price, running it off my pc z390 master motherboard no dac with 3.5mm to rca. I have Hifiman Ananda. And ordered the D1SE Dac. Is the SMSL M400 better then the D1SE if the m400 cost $120 more.

I probably would have gone with a cheaper DAC and the Singxer SA1

If I had access to schiit stuff.. a Schiit Magnius + jotenheim 2 would be more than enough for the Ananda. And cheaper.

If you are not in the US, the Singxer was sold a while ago for 450€ from a retailer in the Netherlands. Normal retail price is 500€.

Cisco150

I probably would have gone with a cheaper DAC and the Singxer SA1

If I had access to schiit stuff.. a Schiit Magnius + jotenheim 2 would be more than enough for the Ananda. And cheaper.

If you are not in the US, the Singxer was sold a while ago for 450€ from a retailer in the Netherlands. Normal retail price is 500€.
Yea I'm in the USA so u think the d1se is over kill. I'm getting it for less then retail local. And the Singxer Is 600 from apos

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Yea I'm in the USA so u think the d1se is over kill. I'm getting it for less then retail local. And the Singxer Is 600 from apos

I would get the modius and the Jotenheim 2 if I where in the US . The Singxer is a great option as well.

But i wouldn't spend more money on the DAC than the headphones are worth.

Cisco150

I would get the modius and the Jotenheim 2 if I where in the US . The Singxer is a great option as well.

But i wouldn't spend more money on the DAC than the headphones are worth.
The price I'm spending on the dac is what I paid for Ananda and I'll probably upgrade headphones later down the line.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
The price I'm spending on the dac is what I paid for Ananda and I'll probably upgrade headphones later down the line.

If you don't mind spending the extra bucks on the DAC... But I would keep the money for the headphones

Veri

Master Contributor
I would evaluate SP200 and D1SE since that's what you'll have. I had the Singxer and I heard no difference with a THX/NFCA amp like SP200 so it's mostly look and feel. IMO.

MalinYamato

Void if removed warranty stickers have no legal standing here in Australia. And in the US they are illegal and you have the right to open up anything and not extinguish your warranty/guarantee rights.

View attachment 136871

In Australia, merely making false representations in relation to extinguishing or limiting a consumer's rights to remedy under our Australian Consumer Law can get companies fined millions of dollars.
I bought this amp in Sweden EU from Audiophonics, France. can I open the box and legally return it for repair under warranty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom