• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Only the coupling capacitors that filter the inputs of the Singxer SA-1 DC are bridged.
This has nothing to do with the DC protection circuit of the device and does not affect it.
The possibility of bridging coupling capacitors existed in amplifiers more than 20 years ago, and is nothing new and a common practice. If DC filtering already exists in the outputs of the device before, the inputs of the next device do not have to be filtered again.
But every user is responsible for ensuring that no DC components are fed into a device.
Perhaps you might help me understand what if anything people are noticing with this mod. What audible change would these coupling capacitors have either in or out? Is it all placebo as several have mentioned? If enough on this subject I can drop it. Its just weird that some are noticing WOW and others nothing with the mod.

Perhaps you might help me understand what if anything people are noticing with this mod. What audible change would these coupling capacitors have either in or out? Is it all placebo as several have mentioned? If enough on this subject I can drop it. Its just weird that some are noticing WOW and others nothing with the mod.
May I ask why you don't try it yourself?

Excellent question as I have already acquired 4 pins from several old circuit boards but the idea of opening and removing the casing might render the unit void of warranty ?

Raif71 said it, if it didn't have to be sent back to China I would care about sticker because in US it doesn't mean anything. But the China company repairing it can say no warranty, this China not US.
I'm going to give my unit another month or 2, I only received it a couple weeks ago.
I was without my Topping A90 which had to be returned twice because of hardware failures. After weeks and weeks of waiting for return of m Topping (got refund due to defective unit). Used refund to get SingXer SA1.
So, I'm not quite ready to be without my main HP amp again.
That is why I haven't tried it just yet.
Yes I'm tempted and will more than likely fall prey eventually. Probably sooner than later knowing my lack of patience.

Excellent question as I have already acquired 4 pins from several old circuit boards but the idea of opening and removing the casing might render the unit void of warranty ?
Agreed, and why mess with it without any evidence beyond conflicting opinions. I too would like to see some comparison measurements done. Lacking that, I will go with Singxer, who of course has considerable expert knowledge of their product and leave it be.

Also a good question. Unfortunately, Singxer do not write about it in the manual or on the site.
In most countries a customer has the right to open a device as long as it is not tampered with. Since the (undocumented) jumper bridges are already there, you can use them, similar to PC's. This does not constitute an intervention, as the manufacturer created this possibility.
But in the case of a defective, the customer with the dealer or manufacturer has to deal. And since I expect that he honestly is opened regardless of whether the unit.

But if of course the power amplifiers explode after bridging the jumpers ...

When someone opens the device, they should be aware that they are responsible for it.
Basically, I would advise anyone who bridges the four jumpers in the Singxer SA-1 that they measure the DC voltage component of the outputs on the source device and on the Singxer SA-1 before and after each change.

No risk, no fun:cool:

I got mine from amazon.co.uk
Thanks. That's from Shenzen Audio - right? Did you have to pay any import fees and how long did it take to arrive? Also, what's the warranty period through Shenzen? I see that it's 2 years on Audiophonics.fr but it's not mentioned on the amazon page.

no just the Amazon price, no import fees in UK, I think they mention that somewhere on the summary page you will see shipping & handling £0.00,
as in Amazon handle it...it is from Shenzen, mine arrived crazy fast

no just the Amazon price, no import fees in UK, I think they mention that somewhere on the summary page you will see shipping & handling £0.00,

Same, ordered mine from Amazon.de on a friday and had it delivered on the following monday, without any extra shipping or customs cost.
DHL Express is freaking fast!

If the balanced input voltage level is 4+ volts, like from my Element x, the Singxer has no problem driving the HE6SE. The HE6 is even a bit less sensitive and it works fine, too. Don't get mislead by the position of the volume knob which due to its exponential characteristic has to be turned up unusually high. An amp that reaches its nominal output power at the 12 o'clock volume knob position does not have more headroom even if it may seem so. It will clip badly when driven harder. The Singxer doesn't clip even at the max position if the input voltage is within specs. However, with the HE6 and some music with very low amplitude I have to increase the voltage on the element x up to 5 or 6 volts to have enough output.

Is it possible to disable the volume control on the Singxer so I can use the volume control of my pre-amp + DAC (Cambridge CXN V2)?

Is it possible to disable the volume control on the Singxer so I can use the volume control of my pre-amp + DAC (Cambridge CXN V2)?
No, unfortunately this is not provided for in the circuit.
Simply measure at which point in front of the end stop the potentiometer has the best synchronization and leave it set that way. Anything else would require an intervention in the device and invalidate the guarantee.

No, unfortunately this is not provided for in the circuit.
Simply measure at which point in front of the end stop the potentiometer has the best synchronization and leave it set that way. Anything else would require an intervention in the device and invalidate the guarantee.

So would the best option be to disable the pre-amp in the Cxn V2 and just use it as DAC/Streamer and adjust volume on the headphone amp? I did read somewhere else that I would introduce noise by adjusting the Volume on 2 devices

And I'm considering getting a MacBook or Mac mini once there is a newer version of the M1 CPU.. would the SONCOZ SGD1 DAC be a good match for the Singxer?

Or better the Gustard X16, Denafrips Ares2?

Last edited:
So would the best option be to disable the pre-amp in the Cxn V2 and just use it as DAC/Streamer and adjust volume on the headphone amp?
Yes, it would make sense that way.

Your other questions are more related to the basic structure of your audio chain. With the DACs you can simply orientate yourself on the ASR best list.
For the Singxser, I would pay attention to symmetrical outputs on the DAC.

Cool, thanks. I just ordered one from Amazon. Shenzhen Audio are doing 10% off at the moment and that was reflected in the Amazon price too.

Back
Top Bottom